Taking Questions about Mixintos and Overrides

It is not useless. I replaced the original file directly in the stonehearth.smod, and that just worked properly. So it is not an orphaned one.

Paging in @Albert. Are terrain colors still sourced somewhere accessible?

@sdee - The terrain colors still come from terrain_renderer.json. If they’re not overriding, we’ll need to look at the mixin system.

3 Likes

Issue added to the board.

5 Likes

You should post a picture of the board, but make it all at an angle and really blurry.

1 Like

:laughing: ahh, the good ol’ days…

for the uninitiated:

3 Likes

In hindsight, I can see how I could come across as being sarcastic. I wasn’t, I genuinely think it’d be amusing for them to post a “sneaky pic of what we’re working on” for it to simply be this god awful out of focus zoomed in shot of a whiteboard.

Although if they wish to make it somewhat decipherable that’s their prerogative :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

To tell you the truth, there is a secret waiting patiently for its moment of glory… I’m sure lots of us know what I mean.

3 Likes

Ent that the truth! :wink:

1 Like

amen brother!

knows what’s next on @Froggy’s “to do” list… and is beyond excited!

1 Like

amen :hamster: :hammer:

Looks at froggy’s thread

What have I missed?!

My play on ‘Aint that the truth’ has nothing to do with my to do list, but rather radiants.

1 Like

whereas my comment had everything to do with @Froggy’s WIP… :eyes:

Well, I was wondering, is the current way of adding things into the game, ie mixintos, going to be the only way of doing such?

I was imagining (and hoping) to be able to make some sort of lua script with a function that you specify the path to the model and stuff. Is using mixintos to put things in the game just temproary? Or will this be the official way of doing things in the future?

1 Like

You can already do this but it has to be a json, of course.

Mixintos and overrides are only to be used if you actually want to extend or modify existing content, not to put in new one.

3 Likes

Mixintos and overrides are here to stay, but there are certainly other ways of adding content to the game. If you look at candledark, you’ll see that though our startup order API is still completely hacked together, there is a candledark_server.lua file that, after X in-game seconds, force-spawns a scenario, which in turn creates skeletons etc that are created all new for candledark. You could do anything else lua-related here, like start your own services, etc.

Ok cool. I guess my problem could be solved by using a lua script to generate a manifest.json. dunno if that would work. There is just something about JSON that scares me. I have nightmares. It’s just so organised yuck

Hello there,
strange question, maybe, and not sure if I’m in the right place here…

Don’t fully understand modding in Stonehearth yet, but I tried to make a little, tweak I would say. I got suprised when it only took me like a minute to find and edit the actual code. Basically what I did was deleting a few lines.

I would like to make this into a mod you could turn on or off like others. Even with it being a very small one, because well it makes things easier. And I think other people would like this aswell, so I could share it more easily.

Now question;
I found that modding is very focused on adding or changing existing content. But how about adding a mod which excludes part of the main code?
I’ve been struggling trying to override an entire lua file with the same one except for the few missing lines, without succes.

thanks!

Hello there, @Nex!

It’s not a strange question, at all - quite the opposite I’d say for someone who’s somewhat new to modding :slight_smile:
If it is the “correct place” or not, however, I do not know.

Anywho…

You will have to create a folder-structure containing your mod; this is, the files you are adding/modifying, and a file called manifest.json.
You can check existing mods to see examples of how this is done :slight_smile:
(in case you are not aware of it already, your current mods .smod-files are nothing else than .zip-files which where renamed from mod_name.zip into mod_name.smod)

The manifest-file is where you probably want to write something like this:

{
  "info" : {
    "name" : "your_mods_name",
    "display_name": "Mod Name",	  
    "version" : 3
  },
  "overrides" : {
	  "stonehearth/ai/actions/memorialize_death_action.lua" : "file(ai/actions/memorialize_death_action.lua)"
  }
}

In my example above, the Stonehearth-version of action “memorialize_death_action.lua” will be replaced with my version of the same file.
So, simply tell what file you want to override, and point to your file which should replace it :slight_smile:

I hope this help at least a little bit!