Stonehearth Add-On for Blender (Animation)

-sniffles; But I wanna put my newest creation into my mod :cry:

Haha now silliness aside: I can’t wait 'till you get to that. Plus the basic tutorials will probably make things easier for me :wink:

I will make another one for the release of the new version, which shows the animation process and implementation of an animation… need to think about what could be of interest and was not shown yet.

That would be nice. :smiley: Made a simple bowing animation and after some fiddling around I managed to replace one of the idle animations to test it in game. :slight_smile: Works nicely!

Actually I already know which animation I want to make. Will be also an idle one… but a bit different :wink:.

Have almost figured out the first of my two issues with the import of animations. Let’s see. Maybe I manage this one today and the other tomorrow or the day after…

Oooo now you got me wondering. hahaha

That sounds amazing! Everyone has been working hard lately! (except me haha)

nice, good luck with the other one.

Thanks, might need it :wink:. Just to share a picture which shows the issue:

I can import animations as already shown in the past. The challenge you can see here with the fingers. The way I am importing the animations, they are not displayed right. Mostly the issue occures for limbs which are “at the bottom of a relationship-chain”, i.e. the fingers are the child to the hand, which is the child to the arm, which is the child to the shoulder, which is the child to the torso… It seems like there is an error which is accumulating throughout this chain so it becomes very visible with the fingers.

From my guess the solution is “easy”… I just need to take the parent of a child into account while I am importing the child. Piece of cake, no? :wink:

1 Like

Looks painful >.<;
But I’m sure you’ll figure it out =D

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for making such an awesome plugin ^^
I’ve been following your video tutorials, and thanks to them and this add-on I can now make custom animations for my mod. :smiley:
Thank you!

1 Like

Unfortunately I think I will need another week for all items on the list. Actually the last 2 are not really the problem, just still stuck with the Quaternions.

Update: Finally I can see light at the end of the tunnel. Cross your fingers that it is no train :wink:.

1 Like

You are a King sir. :crown: :straight_ruler:

I will of course follow your example and attempt to release a basic version of the Maya tool…
‘At Some Point’ :tm:
It will be some time before it matches half your functionality
(also by ‘your functionality’ I of course mean your plug-in’s functionality… I am convinced you yourself are capable of many questionable things ;))

Does anyone here actually use Maya?

2 Likes

Thanks @TobiasSabathius… something is telling me that your tool will be not that basic once you release it :wink:.

But this one really almost killed me. However, I guess it was worth to work on it and now I am happy to announce that the Add-On for Blender is capable of importing animations :smiley:.

There might be some bugs… so if you find one, you can keep it :wink:. Here a short video introducing the feature (and all the bones / armatures are looking as they should):

This also means some progress regarding my action list of last week:

:white_check_mark: Add meta-files for the “new” models (Goblin, Mammoth, Sheep, Wolf).
:white_check_mark: Fix existing bugs in the import-function and release the next version including the feature.
:white_check_mark: Create a custom idle-animation and add it to the game as an additional animation.
:white_medium_small_square: Create a German tutorial on how to use the Add-On.

A general word regarding animations: At the moment there are inconsistencies in the naming of bones / armatures in the different Stonehearth-files. This differences are not huge, in general there is a “_0” attached to some bones. However, this can cause already some troubles as the Add-On is depending on the same wording. So in case you receive an error or a helper bone is created which should not be there… first always check for proper naming and in case of doubt, take a look into the .json-files to compare the names with the .obj-names.

Also if you import an animation two things will / can happen:

1. If the animation includes an object which is not part of the .qb-file, a placeholder (helper bone) will be created to reflect this object. That happens with all animations where e.g. the worker is carrying something.
  2. As the animations do not include any information about key-frames, each frame will be imported as a key-frame. That will make it a bit tricky in case you want to work with the imported animation and modify it.
5 Likes

wonderful :thumbsup:

you sir, have a bright future in software development… bright future indeed! :smile:

thanks for all your hard work… and keep plugging away, as i’m sure you’re tool will become even more valuable for future modelers as the modding system expands… :+1:

Done some preparation works for the next tutorial which I hope to post this week. Here we go with a custom animation which is played in addition to the existing ones (you have to wait almost to the end of the clip):

6 Likes

This is quite possibly one of the greatest things I’ve seen this year. You never fail to amaze me @voxel_pirate and your user title seems more appropriate than ever,

3 Likes

hahah, nice :open_hands:

ok, i wasnt prepared for that… i dont know if you have any voiceover, and i didnt look at the clip title… i just said “hey, a video from @voxel_pirateplay!”

very Monty Python-esque… and this absolutely has to make it into the game as an idle animation… :smile:

:smile:

Working through the to-do list. The animation is now available (it can be downloaded from the thread) and a short tutorial is also out:

Next I need to do something for our German friends… that might be an end-to-end guide to cover it all or so ™.

Update: I guess I will change my priority a bit. I will first take a look into the following two items from my action-list:

• Support export of multi-gender animations (create one, export both). :white_check_mark:
  • Add shortcut keys to access options for import / export.

Having both in place, I think the Add-On will have the most critical features to be named V1.0. Once this milestone is reached, I will work on :one: better documentation (videos and in written), :two: error handling and :three: a more solid / user friendly UI.

Update: Almost done with the first item, i.e. implementing the logic to export a male animation in a way that they also fit for women (and vice versa). “Just” need to finish one bit of it and test it… let’s hope it works :wink:.

3 Likes

I have the feeling that this one deserves a stand-alone post :sunglasses:

So I have finished coding another feature which I hope will be published in a few days (need to implement some proper error handling and documentation first). However, thanks to @TobiasSabathius the next version of the Add-On will allow to compare two skeletons and to automatically define the “offset” based on that comparison.

Why is this so “cool”? I’ve added this feature having two use cases in my mind:

1. Creating an animation for the human settlers at this moment requires you to create 2 animations, one for the male and one for the female version of the settler. By comparing the skeletons and defining a delta (offset) for each bone, the Add-On can use this offset during the export and create both animation files :smile:.
  2. Custom made models will require also the creationi of related animations. Assuming that the custom model has the same body-parts (but e.g. a bit bigger, higher, etc.), it should be possible to use the offset to re-use existing animations and to adjust them to fit the custom model.

I think this is quite a nice feature which will allow a little bit more support for modders who are interested in animations.

3 Likes

ok, now that’s just slick… and a huge savings in time (which was the intent, I’m sure)!