Seasons: What Do They Do? Do They Do Things? Let's Find Out!

Might not be the best place to ask this but since it was mentioned, just wanted to know:
Will the calendar be somewhat changed for seasons? Right now the year is pretty much realistic (30 days per month, 12 months) which makes the seasons perhaps a tad bit too long. They shouldn’t be too short either, however. Will this be kept, will they have faster cycles, etc…? :stuck_out_tongue:

And just as a personal curiosity/anxiety: will the palette change be smooth/gradual or sudden? :3

2 Likes

Yes. A month will be 7 days. Which months are covered by each season depends on the biome.

Gradual.

7 Likes

panting
anticipation arises

Damn, I love you guys.

7 Likes

To confirm here, in hot biomes winter will be opposite to winter in cold biomes ?

Will seasons empower biome settings ? Cold + Cold = more slow etc. ?

Not exactly. You’ll see next week.

No. The seasons simply determine the weather, and the weather itself has the effects.

3 Likes

Excited to see how that’ll work than.

Does that mean season weather will overrule biome weather or will there be 2 possible weather scenarios together.

Thanks for the clarification

My guess is that biome will have 4 weather arrays just like it will have 4 palette arrays (it currently has one called spring, so that is a ‘hint’)

Roughly yes, except while the default biomes have 4 seasons, a modded biome can have any number of seasons.

2 Likes

This is what I wished to hear, f**k yes! Combined with the other information we got, it should be able to write some disaster scenario with the weather combinations.

2 Likes

About replacing models based on seasons, that is definitely possible, I did that in the Season mod 🍂. But my guess the new system will be better and easier to use.

1 Like

(This will be after the ‘th’ gets stolen from the Stonehearth name, changing it to Stonehear, and everyone just goes with it as if it had never been anything else…)

1 Like

the name was always a warning, stone heart

Yup, that mod was my inspiration, though I didn’t want to replace whole entities, just the models.
There is a bit of a problem: assume there is a tree with differently shaped models. By stochastically swapping the models the shape of a fully grown tree would change between the seasons.

A simple solution is to have different uri for every shape of the tree, this however prevents one from planting different shape variants with seeds if one doesn’t want to make straight/bent tree seeds separate objects.

Could it be possible that seasons would modify critters spawns and mods interaction ?
meaning
winter: less critters, more dead monster
spring: more critters
summer: more goblins

Wouldnt it be easier to generate a number to decide what graphic is used for every single seed ?

Let’s say you have 5 different trees of type 1 ,2 and 3
You have you then only have to split 3 types instead of 5 or even 15 ?

Oh, I forgot about one fancy feature: varying daytime length. Is it planned or dropped? I’d really love polar days and nights in the Glacier biome.

Not planned. You can certainly simulate it visually using weather-based sky/light settings, but affecting logic like eat/sleep/firepit schedules is more work than it’s worth.

1 Like

So there is no single piece of code which specifies the times of day at which certain events happen? The JSON values must be converted to calendar service time format at some point, I was hoping a simple season-dependent multiplier there would do.

Yes, the calendar service keeps those times and things that care about schedules listen to it, but changing them drastically is likely to have subtle fallout, as most things assume they remain constant.

1 Like

:glum:
I’ll have to stick to season-dependent weather lightning then.