Seasons : Ideas, Furniture and tools. (Reworked Thread)

Building something to measure the seasons and predict them, meteorologist class? Starwatcher class? I dno, it’s late, I’m in bed on a mobile device excited that we’re a few hundred dollars away from $400,000 … Send help.
`

I love the idea of seasons which vary in length and intensity year to year (within reason). although a good event would be a long winter which lasts much much much longer, like an apocalyptic ice age sort of thing, yay mammoth will be right at home.

I guess anything could be possible with mods making it as deadly and life like or as casual and relaxed as one would wish for.

Ooooh! Where to start! I think seasonal changes should be more than just cosmetic but effect every part of the game! They should roughly last the same time (30 in game days) but randomized so winters could be very long. Imagine good supplies running dry and finally beginning to see the snow melt when you didn’t expect it!

Ideas:

Sprink - melting snow, flooding and lots of rain halfway through the spring season of stonehearth. You’ll be encountering more animal based monsters since hibernation is over and hungry animals come out. Days and nights are even time periods but nights are still cold. Dress warmly!

Sumaria - long bright days and short nights, summer is here at last! Caravans and orcs and factions and everything comes to life. Most adventure-tensive time. Careful not to overdress your workers since their stamina will run out faster on hot days. Dress light and breezy and reap and store winter food! Look forward to summer solstice festivals and tournaments and travellers!

Magci (pronounced madge-chee) - a special season where magic awakens and flourishes from the ripe world. More magical creatures and elemental a come out and magic is stronger and cheaper to use! Weather becomes very bizarre with foggy, firefly nights, magical storms and crystal rain. Days are short and nights are shorter but mornings and sunsets last forever! The world becomes more exciting but more dangerous. The night of the two moons festival comes so look for it!

Autumn (Days of Hearth) - magic seeps out of everything and with it, all life begins to deteriorate. Days and nights even out but plants, trees and crops die slowly and the world fades. Mist and cold return so dress your characters in warm clothing so their stamina doesn’t run out too fast. Animals and factions are storing for the winter months so expect attacks on your town from desperate creatures frequently while you prepare for winter. As the world changes colour and magic drains from the winds, weather becomes more calm and it is the season of the hunters. Hunt your game and remember to pack the meat in salt from the mines so it doesn’t rot!

Wintera - enveloped in snow and iced rivers, anyone not dressed warmly and heavily will see their stamina drain when out for too long. Plan your town well with warm places to wait out blizzards and for soldiers to warm up! Fish in icy rivers but careful cause caves are now filled with monsters and all enemy factions are well dressed and armoured too! Although blizzards are rare and food is scarce, there are many festivals like the winter solstice and Saturnalia and the end of winter feast at the Night of a Thousand Lights festival to look forward to! Adventurers should be in large parties and although raiding is rare (winter is a dangerous time to lay siege to another town), many summer holdings are abandoned and there are treasures to be found that may be stolen by Sprink!

Can you tell I’m excited for seasons?!

6 Likes

That sounds… AMAZING! Love all those cool ideas!

That sounds even better than my idea!! I hope devolopers do that…

Stargazers!! Love it! Can provide you weather and seasonal details with a good high observatory built!

I don’t always have mediocre ideas,but when I do I’m practically asleep.

with the changing of the seasons I hope the terrain pallet also changes, .e.g. trees changing from green to reds and yellows and oranges in autumn and then no leaves in winter kind of thing.

Seasons should definitely effect crop production; I’m not sure if I prefer seasonal crops that are harvested within the season they are planted (ala Harvest moon) or a more realistic system with most crops planted in the late spring and harvested in mid-fall. I like the idea of the seasons also influencing what sort of and how many enemies you encounter. Generally, Spring and Fall are going to be the busiest for your town in terms of farming if using a realistic planting system, while Summer would be the season for adventuring and exploration. Winter would generally be for hunkering down, but you might also be the target for raids by enemies who didn’t gather enough food to get by, or might have send out help to friendly factions if they need it…

So generally I’d like to see some variability in season length and severity, as others have pointed out, and have it influence farming strategy and enemy activity.

-Will

1 Like

Maybe you could determine the length of each season, eit when you create a new game, or in the options they can be adjusted to ease or for a challenge. Just a thought.

I believe we do have magic in the game,
so beware when entering the castle of the winter queen!

I hope soldiers get braziers on the walls. That would look awesome to see a few guards huddled around a fire keeping warm whilst everyone is asleep warm in their homes.

I just want to see things like this:

Bunny people:

SPRING
Exponential growth rate, more territorial

SUMMER
Normal activity

AUTUMN
Trade more for food, focus more efforts into forage and farming and making their territory defensible

WINTER
Remain underground and do not venture to the surface unless to defend.

4 Likes

Off you idea

Goblins:

Spring Camp near rivers to celibate spring time and collect water and make river wine (mostly for trading).

Summer They travel from area to area to attack near by cities and towns. They are very active in this season.

Autumn They return to the swaps or deep forests and feed off the foods and other supplies they took during the summer.

Winter They are rare and never seen outside their areas they control. They may attack a city in the winter if they are paid to do so by another city or lack of worshiping a god or they have ran out of food and other supplies.

“We come, we take, we leave, you quake!” - Goblin King Juxrin

What do you guys think?

5 Likes

Yep, I really like the idea of season-specific behaviors for both friendly and enemy groups.

-Will

Hey guys, its been a while since i was here.
I have read your awsome ideas and some are really great. I like the idea of changing behavior, the possibility of predicting the weather and maybe seasons . Tom told in the last Live Stream that there will be no dedicated buildings. I think that is a great idea, so you can build a smal, medium or large building for combinig several purposes.

I have thought about the seaons again and maybe they should be switchable. So that you could choose of they will be of a set period of time, or if they vary a little bit in lenght.
Also you may be able to set the seaons on light, normal or hard. That could effect the behavior of for example blizzards or aridity in summer.

That dont have to be. just some thoughts.

Here are some ideas i made wit Qubicle for a Firebowl for your troops on duty. So that they dont freeze.

The second picture is an idea for a comunity fireplace in a house or cityhall. Its my first version, coloring isnt finish, just to show off different resources used. ( Metal and Wood)
I have thought of a second version for the Fireplace with a grid on top for food.

I will do another one only with a fireplace and some seats or a couch around.

Tell me what you think.

1 Like

I like all these ideas @DEGREIF88 nice work

How about the slowing and sometimes stopping of your townspeople during spring due to hay fever?

I feel like summer should need more water, spring should need more medicine, winter should need more food and autumn should need more entertainment.

Yep summer may be dry… you may need to hoard water in barrels or watertanks. In the winter you need food and also wood for your fireplaces. But i think spring didnt need medicine ^^ i feel better when the days get longer and the sun is shining. I think medicine should be more needed in autumn. Spring could be more moving, sport and entertainment.

Here are 2 other possible furnitures, i personaly like the first one a bit more. The second is more for a tavern :wink:

Second:

Maybe i post a third one , larger of this kind for maybe 16 workers… we´ll see if some people like it :wink:

3 Likes

DerGreif88 nice work! :smiley:

Maybe they could at hotsprings which you cna bathe in or an engineer can pump through pipes.