Qubicle Competition Discussion Thread. Cycle 1, Week 2 - Winter Apparel!

So, a model, out of scene and with no post processing? Is that single model or multiple models?

Introducing too many limitations will stifle creativity in my opinion. Having the carpenter model repainted hundreds of times over the next sixth months will get pretty stale, pretty fast.

Perhaps there should be one simple rule?

You can submit anything related to the theme that can be achieved using the free version of Qubicle.

That’s it, no paint, no Maya, no Blender no Max, just voxels!

4 Likes

I would agree with the feedback from Froggy. Everything which is done with Qubicle should be ok. Otherwise the entries might become a bit too boring.

P.S. @Geoffers747 and @Geoffers747 :tongue:.

1 Like

this gets my vote as well… anything/everything that can be created exclusively within qubicle… :+1:

1 Like

I’m happy with that, thanks @Froggy for the feedback!

I’ll update the rules to reflect that :smile:

2 Likes

@SteveAdamo

What I ment was: that last weeks competition had like 8 submissions, while this weeks competion has only three submissions, the last time I checked.

Well, some people may just feel they don’t have a chance. Like Steve (I believe) said, they see the amazing things that Froggy and Voxel make, and feel like they don’t stand a chance. Personally, while I would love to win and get that shiny version of Qubicle to animate my bandits, I’m more concerned with stretching my legs and improving upon myself with these competitions.

But other people may be embarrassed or feel bad that their creations aren’t absolutely fantastic like Froggy’s scenes, and don’t enter them.

But you can’t improve without feedback, in my opinion, so c’mon guys, submit submit submit!

I certainly hope my entries don’t put people off. My intention is to showcase some techniques that I have learned that can help people improve their models.

I wasn’t going to enter any of these competitions initially as I’ve had about 5 weeks head start on some of the newer voxelers submitting models - but I fancied a forum title (I want Voxel Knight).

If my entry did make it to the finals, I’m sure I wouldn’t be considered for the Home Edition key anyway, as I already have that version.

if i phrased it that way, it wasnt my intent… quite the contrary, i want folks to participate regardless of their perceived skill level… :smiley:

and for what its worth, i just found out @Froggy doesnt have any artistic background… he’s a fellow computer geek, who simply fell into qubicle, and has become very adept through practice and (im sure) boatloads of patience… :smile:

:+1:

As far as I’m concerned as long as you’ve tried, and you submit an entry then that’s great!

The competition shouldn’t just be about trying to get into those top 2 spots it should be about making a model around a specific theme, because when you have a blank canvas there it can be difficult to direct yourself, and to then get feedback on it. It’s as much about self improvement as it is the competition.

People are probably going to feel apprehensive about submitting a model, but they really shouldn’t be, everyone here is and has been giving some great constructive feedback on the models, and that’s how it should be :smile:

Yer, I would imagine that if the grand winner already owns the Home edition then they will receive a different prize and then second place would receive the copy of the home edition.

1 Like

My thought is that probably everyone is playing Cube World right now, and knowing it’s a monthly contest and they have other chances to participate, they decided not to submit anything this week.
But I also agree with your several opinions, you may be right.
I hope there’ll be more submissions, we are still in time. I wonder what theme we’ll have on the finals…

I want that coobikel.

Wow, I really missed this whole discussion.
Well if I had read it I would certainly have made fewer rule breaking faux pas.

Also the point about worrying about submitting ‘bad’ models, Bad models always come before good ones they are an essential part of the process. So, lets call them ‘Models That Don’t Please You’ (MTDPY) rather than bad.

To shorten the time that you make MTDPY watch and absorb every live stream you can and imitate all the glorious voxel models that Tom has created.

I try learn one new thing with each model I make. Every new model is a parade of problems that need to be solved and the ratio of solved to unsolved gets better over time (I am at about 50/50 at the moment).

Also start up a modelling thread and ask for crits. This is the friendliest community I have stumbled into on the internetz and everyone is willing to chip in with truly constructive advice.

Anyway I am going to shut up now… :older_man:

1 Like

Just read this, and I must say it’s absolutely spot on. For every other model I make and post, there is a MTDPY that gets pushed to the ‘Meh, I’ll look at that later’ pile.