Pathing optimization for request containers

Imagine we have two request containers: RC1 and RC2, and a general storage container GC with filter set to “All”. RC1 is filled with resource. RC2 is empty and has no filter. GC has space inside.

To make it easier, RC1 here is clay table with flowers, RC2 - an empty basket, GC - a clay pot.
If we want to move items from RC1 to RC2,

RC1 -> RC2 (table -> basket)

we set filter in RC2 to “resource” and in RC1 to “none”. However, Hearthlings currently can’t just move resources this way. Instead they do it like this, using GC as a “buffer”:

RC1 -> GC -> RC2 (table -> pot -> basket)

Is there a reason why they can’t move items directly from RC1 to RC2? Here on my screenshot all three containers are close to each other, but imagine RC1 and RC2 are close while GC is far away. It will force hearthlings to go all the way (twice!), when all they had to do was just take flowers from the table and put them in the basket.

Additional questions:

• Assume there is a RC, a GC and an item on the ground. What is hearthling’s path?
    a) item -> GC -> RC
    b) item -> RC
  • Previous example, except GC is full (no space)
  • Our situation with full RC1, empty RC2 and GC, except GC is also full. Will the items be transported directly here, or will they not be transported at all?
1 Like

Sounds like a bug. If you have a save with this set up, I can take a quick look and see if it’s an easy fix.

3 Likes

I think the distance has some effect into this.
Usually when the fisher has both a stockpile and a fish rack near his fishing spot, he would deliver the fish to the stockpile, then the fish would be moved to the fish rack (the fish rack is a priority container)
But when the stockpile is far enough, the fisher sends the fish directly to the rack.
Not sure if this still happens, but was something I noticed in old versions.

2 Likes

I tried to check this by filling up the pot first. Hearthlings still go RC1 → GC → RC2, except this time they use my stockpile as a GC (it is located near the tree visible below, so RC2 (basket) is clearly closer this time).

@max99x
Sure, here. I use Canyon Biome mod, nothing else.
1525123452366.7z (3.8 MB)

2 Likes

Took a quick look. Not a straightforward issue. Basically it’s a race between which action can reserve the items first. We’re considering a major redesign of restocking AI for performance reasons sometime in the future, and I’ll keep this case in mind for that.

4 Likes