Modding in Lua - An overview

Very well said. We are in the show business.

I couldnā€™t resistā€¦

A programmer is a person who poses as an exacting expert on the basis of being able to turn out, after innumerable operations, an indefinite series of incomprehensible answers calculated with micrometric precision from vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents, and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless department that was unfortunate enough to have asked for the information in the first place.

6 Likes

That just made my day.

1 Like

if only that fit on a t-shirtā€¦ im looking at you thinkgeek!

1 Like

Thanks for the sites and the help already guys ^^

I learnt LUA to code for computercraft, the minecraft mod. I had learnt 3 other languages first but I picked up LUA faster than the other two. (The previous three being C,C++ and C#) The only language I have learnt faster than LUA is python.

I dont know that language is as important as documentation, heck Radiant could be making their own interpreted language and as long as people documented it thoroughly creating mods wouldnā€™t be hard.

The advantage of LUA is that it is well documented already, so all we need to do is document the Stonehearth module APIs properly and all will be well.

1 Like

I have to say though, from all the languages Iā€™ve learnt Python would have to be the easiest to use. Hopefully thereā€™ll be a chance to use some as I think I remember hearing that theyā€™re doing some of the game in Python.

Stonehearth? no, no Python hereā€¦ but i agree, its a very easy to learn, and fun to use language! :smiley:

Are you sure? I swear I heard him saying they were looking into using Python in one of the streams.

oh good grief, now i have a shred of doubtā€¦ to the replay Batman!

i dont recall hearing it, but i suppose its possible? i dont know how it would be incorporated to be honest (perhaps as an alternative to Lua for some of the scripting)ā€¦ the existing programming tool-set includes:

• C++
  • Open GL.
  • Lua
  • JS
  • HTML
  • Decoda
  • Sublime
1 Like