Map Game: Awesomeness!

Or he could just be a history buff? It’s really not that difficult to know a fair amount about a particular field, especially a subfield within a field, ie Eastern Asian history in the scheme of World history.

History is one of my favorite subjects and Japanese history really sparks my interest.
Japanese history is hard to keep track of though. I have the general jist of things, but wikipedia is my friend. :wink:

All in all I just have way to much time on my hands. :laughing:

3 Likes

Same here but I prefer the British Napoleonic Naval History (I also like medieval history) whereas you like the Japanese History

Same here. Japan (especially Sengoku period) and Medieval Europe are my favourites ;p

I use to be a Roman, Greek, and Medieval European buff back in the day but it’s been awhile and I can’t keep things strait anymore. Favorite person in those histories (not counting King Arthur) defninitly has to be Joan d’Arc. :smile:

Ahhh the chaos of the Sengoku period. :smile: I’ve always had a strong interest not in Tokugawa Ieyasu like most but in the One Eyed Dragon, Date Masamune.

I feel like we’re hijacking this thread with all the history buff talk. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh really? I quite like the Roman period. They were quite the symbol of dominance, although their methods of governance were less than ideal.

Anyways, from what I’ve gathered so far in school, the Tokugawa Shogunate unified much of Japan, correct? Asian history isn’t my strongest point (that would be my native land, the United States of America (God Bless)), but it is fascinating, nonetheless, especially when we discuss how close the Song were to a true Industrial Revolution.

I moved a post to an existing topic: History Buff Talk

Well, he didn’t mean that literally. He meant that your turn could have three different phases, of sorts. One for military, one for cultural, one for diplomatic.

@Xavion would you be willing to export sugar gliders to Iceland? I could trade large amounts of fish, or volcanic rocks.

@naturalnuke I am more than willing to export some wine! And once the Spanish are under my control, I will also begin tobacco and sugar exports as well.

Wine would be good, get people off the fact that i’m a bit tyrannical, though i really wanted those sugar gliders…

What would you like in return for this wine? I could give fish, whale oil, or rocks.

Important point to everyone that seems to be ignored, it says we’re in 1400AD. If you try to do something like cross the pacific you’ll fail completely, no with the possible exception of some nordic countries have anywhere near good enough ships or knowledge of scurvy to survive it. Maybe try using a culture move to research shipbuilding/scurvy first? Or just get it from someone who does.

@naturalnuke similar thing, it’s like a year long trip or something to iceland right? Besides the Dutch didn’t discover Australia until 1606 so try sending some ships to explore and see if I exist first.

Now for the first moves for the Pan-Pacific Empire Alliance.
Culture: Develop agricultural and building systems based off native products. Also start collecting that gold because it’s pretty.
Diplomatic: Send people to try to learn and understand the neighbours culture and teach them our own (Can I assimilate Tasmania/New Zealand into the Pan-Pacific Empire that easily? They’re not even NPC’s)
Military: Work on developing naval techniques for the creation of one.

2 Likes

Well… I think that an agreement involving salt might be beneficial… that African stuff is a bit too metallic for our tastes, and your Icelandic salts should be much brinier.

@Xavion You say that, but the European sea powers (Portugal, especially) had actually begun developing technologies to explore the Atlantic around this time period. Shortly, assuming I take control of the Iberian Peninsula, I will be able to trade with West Africa and beyond, and perhaps even hire Ferdinand Magellan to round the tip of Africa! Or was that Bartolemeu Dias? I don’t remember. Anyway, about 3 turns from now, it will be historically accurate to begin with the Henry the Navigator era.

EDIT: It was Dias. Magellan was South America, I think.

Dias did the voyage in 1488, Magellan did it 1519 and it took 3 years. You’re going to have encourage things along a little bit as without some focus there you’ve still got at least a few decades before you’ll be pulling it off. I was just saying that people aren’t quite there yet, although it should be possible in a few turns given just how much time they cover. It’s just something like Newf’s quest that should fail, peruvian crops and a species of dog that didn’t exist then (Cross breed of canadian dogs and portuguese mastiffs) would be nigh on impossible. Then again importing/exporting live undomesticated carnivores will be difficult for a fair while.

Good thing I’m Nordic though… Great navy.
I picked the Iceland because it’s isolated, has a great navy (nords), is self-sustaining, and when I research how to use all this steam i’m golden! Also the nearby Faroe Islands will provide whale oil, and later real oil.
I (at the start) planned to either trade or raid. STILL WAITING FOR THOSE YAKS BY THE WAY @Swift_Cube. (or anyone with animals that will live on these rocky lands)

Well if you manage to actually make it me I’m perfectly willing to trade, your options though are below africa, through america, or land via asia. None of them will be easy trips.

Gone for 6 hours, and I miss 66 posts. Go me!
Also, @Swift_Cube, you put me where the Teutonic Order is, Denmark is North of the Holy Roman Empire. And my color is teal, not bright yellow.
Now for my turn…

Military: With our South border secured, Denmark builds a large amount of farms guarded by and for the military.
Cultural: Denmark invests a large amount of money into our livestock and farming communities, increasing production by a substantial amount.
Diplomatic: Sends an emissary to @EpicDwarf’s Sweden, asking for an alliance between our two great kingdoms, including trade.

True, I’m gonna wait till the Suez Canal is complete, hope someone rushes it wink wink nudge nudge @ManOfRet after he takes Spain .

Also @Newf, is there anything you want from Iceland? Like fish (before the famine hits?) or whale oil?

I still question the logic behind shoring up defences on the border of a country that is 3 times your size, which can be seen as a provocation. hence my many emissaries asking what you’re planning on doing with those forces.

Military: I Sign a law of naval service for 10 years( and if at sea they have to wait to be back to land to sign out)
Diplomatic: I send a Diplomatic to @Newf with bamboo yak statues for trade of peat yak statues
Cultural: I start to make bamboo yak statues for trade and to show my power in Taprobane (Sri Lanka)
-Gridnick