Long-Term Forum Solution

well done… the site is nice and clean… and Xenforo is actually one of my preferred forum applications… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! I love XenForo it is truly the best forum software

1 Like

http://www.vbulletin.com/

That is one I’ve seen used most

XenForo for my vote. A few sites I visit are now using it and have been quite happy with it.

I would recommend to use a commercial forum system, the free ones require a lot of effort to look as good and run as well so will cost lots of time better spent elsewhere.

XenForo and vBulletin are both good choices.

1 Like

I will switch out my images tonight when I get back from work. Got to run now the boss is watching :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would say use reddit. No operation cost, and it can handle everything as you guys grow. No need to re-invent the wheel and have to buy forum software. Reddit is also open source, if that is something you look at.

despite support for reddit, i never liked it over traditional forums. to me regular forums are much more clean, easy too browse an post an more enjoyable overall.

1 Like

xenforo and vbulletin are the two most recent commercial applications i’ve been using… actually the two most common apps in general, aside from discourse, which i’ve grown to like over the last several weeks… :wink:

2 Likes

I dont have much knowlege of forum hosting but i really like the layout of http://stonehearthkingdom.com . Its nice to work with and i got everything in one. I would love to see that site or a same kind of site as the main forum :D.

I wouldn’t mind if www.stonehearthkingdom.com was the main forum, I’m sure the creator would make all Stonehearth staff super moderators :wink: (I seriously would)

my 2cents on the matter, for what little it’s worth, is to keep the forum “integrated” with the existing site… whether that be via theming or actual integration, keeping the transition from site to forum transparent makes for a more professional feel…

IMO, Kingdoms is a very good site, it’s actually pretty clean and slick, and I haven’t had any problems with it. It also has the wiki linked directly into the site, so it truly is an all-in-one.

2 Likes

I prefer discussion forums operated by fans of the game as it is something they would be using themselves when possible. Because of this, I really do like Stonehearth Kingdom.

Whatever you do, don’t let Curse take over the forum hosting or some other major commercial forum company who sticks their hand into the moderation. The reason for this is these companies care little about the game or for that matter the player community either. I’m not against somebody earning a modest amount of income (in the form of some tasteful banner advertisements… to give an example), but when these for-profit companies take over a forum and don’t care about the players except as a way to maximize profit, the forum sites tend to go downhill quickly.

well, even though a few folks are posting in the KS comments that they are still unable to gain access (among them @Geoffers747), i have been tooling around for over an hour, and the forum has been very responsive…

i believe someone from the discourse team may have even lent a hand in resolving the issue… so, as best i can tell, we’re operating at 100% efficiency, and i blame @Geoffers747 access issues on user error… :smiley:

IT’S OK I’M HERE NOW.

Just want to thank @SteveAdamo for his fantastic technical support!

But it’s all good :slight_smile:

I absolutely despise Curse, I plan on running SHK as long as I can without someone like Curse taking it over :smiley:

1 Like

just for the record, there are no indications that this is the case… first and foremost, because the team doesnt want to lose all the existing content (which would be almost inevitable if there was a move to a new host/platform)…

1 Like

I guess I mean that I would never let someone buy me out :panda_face: (Minecraft Forum was bought out by Curse I’m pretty sure)

Yes!! i hope this is the final Fix!! cheers for the Discourse team!!
I’d like to ask if there will be a chance that in a long future that we can rehost our images in the Discourse or if this is a permanent soultion??