How will coop multiplayer work?

@wminsing and what of monsters and titans? will all of it be automated?
i’d think its a bit unrealistic to have one player keep playing while the other one keeps expanding, unless we’re talking about some huge scale map distance between the players giving them both the option to not meddle with eachothers towns, regardless of that i think that co-op should focus on short games of players dueling it out. or you could let the other player have control over the town with the offline player? (multi tasking to the point of annoyence) not to mention that if said AFK player returns he might not like at all what the other player had done with his village.

in either case this results in alot of issues that i see only a few solutions with, first being playing short lived games of one againts another (pvp FTW) with increased monster spawn/attacks to make games faster. another option i would imagine is turning monsters OFF at co-op so that an AFK village wount get wiped without much choice. third option being instanced maps or “time zones” that freeze when a player is not online, while being a fun option it defines borders for players and i dont think they’re aiming for that.

@SharpKris Co-op is NOT PVP; that’s a different game mode entirely. Co-op is indeed the players versus the game, not two villages against each other. But I do agree with the points that you made can still be tricky to manage. I think the best method would be to allow the co-op players to save the game and resume it at a later time. I don’t think a one-sitting session of Stonehearth is feasible, based on what we’ve seen of the game.

-Will

In this kind of sandboxy game CO-OP could be interpreted as just general multiplayer, seeing the way PvP works.

1 Like

I definitely hope that co-op play involves two players embarking separately in the world rather than sharing control of a single settlement.

3 Likes

@wminsing do you have an article that supports this? my understanding was that coop was people playing the game together, able to trade with eachother, support or eachother, or destroy eachother.

@Julian, I haven’t seen anything that supports this idea.

@DAWGaMims I thought that this had come in one of the devstreams, but now I’m not so sure. So I should retract the above; I don’t know that co-op has the players always working together.

But ‘co-op multiplayer’ seems to imply the players are in it together; if it is a free-for-all than the stretch goal should just have been ‘multiplayer’. Co-op is cooperation, which usually means players vs. the game. I could be entirely wrong in this though, I will freely admit.

-Will

I am hoping that the co-op that the devs will implement will allow me to control my own settlers and not have to share them with my co-op fellows.

Games such as Minecraft and Terraria work well as you directly control your own unit to perform actions; games like this, Towns or Gnomoria would not work so well using a similar mechanism as you normally have to set some sort of priorty on the tasks. That would mean that if you are sharing settlers it is possible that your co-op partners tasks will take priority and you can sit waiting around with little to do since there are not enough settlers. This to me is not fun.

I do see a problem with teams in that you just cant add settlers to a game when people join, so how control would work as people log on and off could be messy. Best leave this up to the devs to give some more details later in the development.

1 Like

In my opinion, both options should be available, being set on the start of the game. Allowing two players to manage one settlement would be nice for some, but if players want seperate towns, trading must take place between them. Not a global warehouse, since it would break the trading idea as a whole.

@wminsing Conversely, I don’t know that you’re wrong… my “evidence” comes from the way people have talked about it - mostly, we’ve talked about destroying eachother. So I’m not so sure either.

@Tom @sdee could we get some elaboration on what exactly coop is?

Coop might be INTENDED for co-operative multiplayer, but with a moddable sandbox game this could just be interpreted as general multiplayer since you can simply mod in PvP, if that isn’t already supported by default.

Of course official confirmation would be really cool on this.

I agree with quite a few people here. basically, in a nutshell, co-op should work with factions and races possibly…Races would determine your settlements race, obviously. and Factions would determine what “team” you are on. Depending on what Faction you are on, you start on a different area of the map, with different resources, monsters, etc.

Player 1: Race: Human - Faction: Blue
Player 2: Race: Orc - Faction: Blue

Both Players will have control over their own settlers and what they build or what they do. Player 1 decides it wants to be a farmer and a medic because that’s his favorite thing to do in the game. Player 2, being the of the Orcish race, decides he wants to be the main controller of building defenses and fighting.
Obviously there is going to be a lot more to the game than fighting, building and farming, but basically you cooperate with one another to create the most successful settlement possible.
Perhaps each race has a different building style, or different strengths. When an orc builds a guard tower on the edge of town it has bones and spikes protruding individual types of blocks making it look formidable…
Or perhaps the humans contribute to the settlement by offering healthier crops and/or helping the fighters by keeping their health higher than a different race would.

Maybe the “host” of the game should be able to choose whether or not different factions should be able to play on a certain server and if PvP should be allowed, or perhaps the host should be able to choose the difficulty and quantity of monsters on the map so that players co-operating should have to work harder and make better defenses to survive.

I’d like to see player trading and advanced interaction through possible advanced buildings, not just military aid between the two to fight off the bad guys.

Trading supplies, people, research if thats even a thing? I don’t know but it would be sweet. Also whats the limit on players? just 2 or could the world be populated by 10+ even 100+ players?

Even moving onto wars between players, factions forming between cities and full on war?

And econ could even come into it, this game could go in any direction! :smiley:

I’m so exited, I don’t know about you guys!

I was very bummed today when they put out the new Kickstarter update that said:

…You and your friends will be able to play together in the same game and cooperatively manage your shared city…

I really hope I don’t have to share settlers with another player, but I won’t jump on any point of view until they officially state what they intend.

2 Likes

I think a poll asking backers about their vision on co-op will be made at some point, even if we all are confident on Tom’s and Tony’s experience and even if we all back the project and will get the game they planned to get out even without polls.
It would be odd if one aspect of the game as the cooperation mode as seen by Tony and Tom corresponds to the vision of 20% of backers only.
There is no doubt in here, i am confident that the final game will be amazing, and i am confident that Tom and Tony read us all (or the more they can) and see what about the community is worried.

Hey community,
Here is my question/suggestion to know which guy is mine on the map.
As we all know there will be three different human races in the game. When I’m playing now with a friend for example the coop-mode and we both want to choose the same race there have to be a color variation.
So my question to you guys, what do you think/want:

1. can we choose colors before we start a new game or
  2. by starting a new game each player gets automatically a color or
  3. there will be no colors and we maybe can create our own flags to spot which building is mine or (Customisable Cosmetics!)
  4. we can’t choose the same race which means each race can be choosed only once per map (this would be sad)

Now which of this suggestions (or maybe you have another idea) would you like to see in the game?

Moe22(12)

@Moe2212 maybe when you mouse over your friends or your own buildings/people the flag they belong to pops up above their head

Hey @Moe2212, merged you into this thread as it seems pretty close to the discussion that was going on here.

@CTheRain well if it isn’t CTheRain good to see you over here. in response to the topic i think it would be like ANNO and not like MC but different mods would be cool like a wave defence and say i choose one race and my mate chooses another and they have different benefits and we work together to survive against the waves of evil creatures.

How would multiplayer actually work? Would it be like minecraft servers, with an open world map that players are randomly dropped into and casually build until they inevitably run into each other? And continue on going regardless of how many people are defeated. Or would multiplayer games be short lived like those on Command and Conquer or Age of Empires? There are both pros and cons to both of these. I hope that it’s more like minecraft. Starting a civilization again every few hours would get annoying.

I would love to see a minecraft variant too :smile: