Hearthlings freeze when picking up ghost items

So i got this error which ofcourse i ignored and after that my citizens stop moving. I pause the game, they restart their work and then pause again.

I’ve checked some old threads regarding this but no solution yet.

here is an error:

release-453 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground items
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:85: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:217: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:275: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:32: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

2 Likes

I can confirm this same exact problem.

This bug can be recreated very easy, i got the same problem after trying to pickup a goblin honor token.

Ah, that’s probably it, then. Something with goblin honor tokens. I know my settlement had recently gotten some and I had ordered some to be placed down when I started having issues.

1 Like

I don’t know about causing the error report in the first post, but I can confirm that goblin honor tokens (GHTs) are the cause of a severe bug.

If you own a GHT and then attempt to place it, one of your hearthlings will pick up the ghost of the GHT and immediately freeze. Ghosts of items should never be picked up by your hearthlings and there is no logic for them to proceed when they do so.

Here is an image of one hearthling bringing the GHT, while the other hearthling is just about to grab the ghost. Afterwards, the hearthling with the actual token still places it in the correct spot, but the other hearthling can’t do anything (they’ll rarely do some bored wandering). This also causes a large bump in LUA usage.

I think @sdee and/or @albert need to be aware of this…

3 Likes

Exact same bug showing in my game. Watched memory climb to near 70% usage. Ended up removing newest 3 hearthlings (since interacting with goblin token) with the console kill command. Everything seemed to even out afterwards.

I tried to play on peacefull mode and no major bug so far…such a shame

Good sleuthing, everyone! Thanks so much for the repro!

3 Likes

Ok, fixed for the next patch. Thanks!

3 Likes

I also just had this problem when attmepting to place a plush animal which had been stolen from my camp and then re-looted back

The fix should apply to all items with screwed up ghost definitions. However, to be safe I also fixed up the plushie and the wicked fire pit.

4 Likes

I tried to pick up a goblin token to undo a previous bug with placing tokens, and it gave me this error message.

release-453 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground items
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:85: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:217: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:275: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:32: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

First. When adding it a ctizien got stuck adding it permanently.

Secondly, when i tried to unload it i got this engine crash:

release-453 (x64)
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:248: cannot add ghost form (853100 Goblin honor token (ghost)) to inventory
stack traceback:
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:667: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:660>
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:248: in function '_check_if_valid_form’
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.luac:118: in function ‘add_item’
…tonehearth/components/storage/storage_component.luac:113: in function ‘add_item’
…arth/ai/actions/put_carrying_in_backpack_action.luac:14: in function 'call_fn’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:16: in function '_call_run’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:186: in function '_run_from_started’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:129: in function '_run’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:450: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:450>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’

stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:106: in function '_run’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:349: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:340>
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:669: in function '_protected_call’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:351: in function 'run’
stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.luac:129: in function '_thread_main’
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:90: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:89>
stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.luac:89: in function 'f’
radiant/lib/env.luac:8: in function <radiant/lib/env.luac:8>

Placing goblin tokens for me caused intense lag in the game and made some workers stuck placing tokens.
I restarted and the workers were still frozen and buried to the necks in the ground.

Thanks <3 Much appreciated

1 Like

Really glad this will be fixed in next patch. So if I’m understanding right, as long as I don’t actually try to place those tokens, I won’t have any problems? I’ve been avoiding playing again because after I was really wanting to play a non-peaceful game this alpha and I’ve been a little scared. Well, plus I was at PAX hanging out with a bunch of the Stonehearth crew ;). I can still loot the honor tokens safely, right?

Whenever i try to place the Goblin Honor Token the hearthling trying to place it freezes and can’t move for eternity :frowning:

it’s a known bug and i think they have fixed it for alpha 12.

as far as i’m aware there is no way to fix it currently i ended up starting a new game because it lags the game to a state of un-playableness.

best adive i could give is if you’ve got an earlier save use it if not start again and put all the good knowledge you’ve gained to use, it’s what i did.

plus starting agains always quite fun i find :smiley:

hope that helps…

thank you very much :smiley: i really hope they’ll fix it because i want to put it down

1 Like

I’m in alpha 11 having the same problem, but with hypnotic campfires instead; sometime I looked around my stockpiles only to find that a hypnotic campfire has magically materialized into some other item. Later, I attempted to place that campfire next to a what seems to be a little goblin 4 x 4 stockpile (the campfire might have been picked up when I tried scooping up nearby mob drops with the loot tool), without any goblins coming from or existing around that. I’ve expected for the guys to place the thing and destroy it, therefore making the (rather annoying) stockpile disappear. But then, the weaver went and picked up the ghost item, which disappeared shortly after. The weaver then froze in place with the “holding” pose. Restarting the game only made stuff worse (and in some measure, creepy): Weaver looked like her torso & limbs had been removed (or less disturbingly, halfway pushed into the ground), apparently maintaining the same pose and still frozen. Digging a hole right where she would be would only result in her falling down, with the head the only part visible.

Strangely, assigning the weaver to a party when setting a party rally point, wakes up the weaver which heads to the rally point, only to sink again into the ground when stopping near the flag.

Rest halfway into the ground in peace some-weaver-I-forgot-the-name, died of starvation next to a veggie stew.

Guess the goblins have developed new ways to decimate the human populations.