Craftsmen are not using resources on the ground or certain stockpiles

Workers Not Using Certain Resources

Summary: After mining stone or ore, chopping down trees, or gathering plants, the resources won’t be used if they’re not moved from their original position to a stockpile or container. Sometimes the resources placed in a stockpile are unusable as well. Resources on the ground and certain stockpiles will often be ignored, and not shown as readily available in crafting menus and/or won’t be used to build buildings. Typically only the resources in containers and certain stockpiles are the only ones that are usable by craftsmen.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Harvest wood, stone, or any ore
  2. Attempt to create an object with the carpenter/mason/blacksmith.
  3. Move the resources to a stockpile.
  4. Attempt to create any object using that resource again.
  5. Finally, move resources to a container.
  6. Attempt to create something one last time.

Expected Results: Resources will not show up in crafting menus until moved to a container. Resources on the ground will not be used for building or crafting.

Actual Results: Mined some copper ore and the ore was unusable until moved to a container. Workers would not even move the resources to a stockpile. Same with stone, built a huge wall out of stone, and the stone on the ground went untouched by the workers, they only took stone from the containers in my town.

Notes: Workers will sometimes ignore resources in stockpiles too, but only certain stockpiles. I haven’t figured out which stockpile settings (if any) are creating the issue.

Attachments: Four Pictures - Red Boxes highlight areas of interest.

Example:

In the above picture, the workers were ignoring the stone ten feet away, and were running across town to grab the stone out of the containers in my Mason’s workshop to work on the walls. Eventually they just stopped working entirely, due to no resources being “available.”

Also, that stone was in a stockpile previously, but I deleted it a few minutes prior to see if they would use the stone then…

It remains untouched to this day.

Versions and Mods: Release-489 (x64)

System Information:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.50GHz - Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: LC-32LB261U (1920x1080@60Hz) 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI)
Storage: 1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001-1CM164 ATA Device (SATA)

Here’s a link to another example as well as a larger version of the stone example:
Second Example/Higher Res Image

I hope this helps, and I can provide more examples if need be.

Update: Just something else I noticed, that if there are two copper ores in a container or stockpile, as well as some on the ground, only two will show up. However, when my blacksmith goes to craft a copper ingot, he will take any two copper ore, and will usually go for the ones furthest from his workshop. Same thing happened with tin ore and iron ore, so it’s not specific to just one resource.

So…items should be used regardless of whether they are in a stockpile, container, or simply the ground as long as you own them. Based on imagea from the album, it would be my guess that your heart longs have never picked them up and thus the game is not counting them as part of your inventory. As to the stone and wall, assuming you all the images provided are from the same game, it is likely that you have more tasks set up (building, mining, crafting, etc.) then you have hearth lungs to perform them, and thus the wall is not being built. I would recommend trying to disable everything but building via the citizen panel and see if they will use the stone.

In any case, uploading a save will likely be helpful in testing your report. To upload a save, if the save folder (located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games by default) can be zipped to less than 10 MB, you can upload the save directly. If not, please upload the folder to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and paste the sharing link here.

Here’s my save: Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files

And I forgot to mention, the stone not being used was moved there by my hearthlings, which means I should own it. They will actually disregard that stone and go claim stone from my mine instead. I even checked to see if using all other sources of stone would work, but they still ignore that particular grouping of stones for some reason. It happens the same way with wood and ores as well, but not as frequently.

Hey there @BoozeAndMidgets, while I don’t have an explanation for the strange choice of stone, I can tell you that it would appear that your Hearthlings simply had “too much to do”. I played your provided save briefly, and was able to get your Hearthlings to pick up the stone and move it to the stockpile by disabling mining and building for a few minutes, and watched them pick up everything on the ground. It took some time for them to get all of the wood, but they eventually did. Then I re-enabled building, and they completed the wall without issue.

Here is a screenshot of the stone in the stockpile:

and here is the save where the wall is completed:
http://www.filedropper.com/1450970444509