Building Development Requests

Hello Ladies and Gents,

In light of the building system redevelopment, and the new weather features, I have the following suggestions/requests:

1. Could buildings get an automatically created supply area, where the required building materials would be collected? This can partially be accomplished manually, but since materials aren’t exclusive it’s not 100%

2. When two items overlap, could the overlap not be highlighted? Currently placing a wooden flower box on a wall shows a highlight line where the edge of the box intrudes into the wall. (Happens other places with other items, too, just providing an example)

3. Clear/glass blocks for buildings would allow easy custom window design. (Potter already makes glass, too).

4. Can the footprint for trees be actual, and the trees not move while growing? I like to use them as decoration, and they all have 4X4 footprints, while only 1 adult tree type actually has a 4x4 footprint, and that’s the Acacia tree, and it moves out of the placed footprint as it grows.

5. Greenhouses would be a logical building type in light of the new weather features, but would require the clear blocks previously requested.

6. Stables/barns would also be a logical building addition, given the new weather.

I am really enjoying the new update, especially the new plant types. I love that cake is super valuable, too :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Edwin

4 Likes

How do you envision this, exactly. I mean stables and barns are structures, and thus: already perfectly creatable.
Every structure is in the game by default, because you can built it.

2 Likes

For it to function against windstorms the animals would have to be programmed to go in them when the climate is bad. Also, you can’t build on reserve spaces (trapping, pasture, etc.).

Overlaps as a functional issue.

2 Likes

You could currently use the supply shelves near construction sites to have them keep stocked with stone and lumber. Would be helpful for builds away from the main stock. Set it up before you build so they all work on the stock first. Quicker than the current one block at a time that the builders will do.

2 Likes

I think the ability for you to place them while in the building editor is needed.

Yes, I already do this manually, I just thought it would be a nice addition for everyone. And when you do it manually you can’t stop overlap (like 40 of an item if you only need 20)

A simple solution in my mind, would be to create a craftable feedingthrough. That would also help on animalfeed and wool as an example, occupiying the same spot on the ground. Then when the bad weather starts, the animals go to the feedingthrough, just like the hearthlings run to the banner in townalert.
Then its just a matter of placing the feedingthrough inside the building you see as the stable?
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally seconding this one, easy to do and large effect too!

1 Like

This idea is brilliant!!! An input container for animal feed that also works as a town banner for shepherd animals. They’d have to path to the nearest accessible one, but sounds doable. You’d also want it to be an automatic function tied to particular weather so it feels more like animal instinct and wouldn’t affect your hearthlings. Perhaps when the negative weather starts you get a vocal queue like all of the animals bleating briefly so the player knows negative effects are incoming. The secondary purpose would be to let to player know so they don’t see their empty fields and flip out lol.

Also love the idea of clear/glass blocks for building. I was hoping since they’d tackled the issue with some of the RC tier decorations that we’d get em as building material as well.

2 Likes

I did try to use input bins to have the structure built faster, but you can’t place bricks in them!

1 Like

I suggested a few ideas for this in the last part of this post.

Definitely some problems here, and some extra z-fighting in general that’s snuck in with the building update. Hopefully that gets touched up.

I’m torn on this, myself. On the one hand, GLASS! On the other hand, I like the look of windows as is, and glass windows feel a bit too ahistorical to me. From Wikipedia:

In England, glass became common in the windows of ordinary homes only in the early 17th century whereas windows made up of panes of flattened animal horn were used as early as the 14th century.

Modern-style floor-to-ceiling windows became possible only after the industrial plate glass making processes were perfected.

As far as I can tell, most windows in Stonehearth’s approximate “time period” would either be holes (like now) that might be covered up at night, or panes that aren’t very clear. Of course, Stonehearth isn’t supposed to be perfectly historical, anyway, and our Hearthlings are already living in relative luxury compared to medieval peasants. So I don’t really know why glass bothers me so much. Having it in the base game would help my dream mod, too.

Also, right now, don’t windows make Hearthlings think barns are less cramped? There might have to be a little extra code so glass does the same thing, but that shouldn’t really be a reason against it.

I think snow would have to suitably damage plants first, and if that gets put in, plants would also have to require sunlight, or you could just build a plain roof over your plants and avoid the costs of glass. I’d like to see glass be more expensive, too, so snow damaging your plants would be a problem you’d have to deal with for a good portion of the game, rather than immediately being able to protect all your plants. Not sure if greenhouses fit the time period, but I think they could be alright for gameplay.

Definitely needed, along with animals actually being able to find shelter.

1 Like