Alpha 19 Arrives on Steam Latest

Hope we can see some clothing for soldiers that matches Rayya’s Children soon also :slight_smile: feels very weird with blue clothed footmens :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Totally seconding this decision. i dont at all mind that they magic wooden scaffolding out of nowhere.

i have also noticed that when building roads they can get a bit “sloppy” with the removal of the initial stones. (especially when you have mined out the bottom layers, so they ocasionally fall down while digging and have to walk back to continue)

and as a result build road in the same location as where there is still another block. looks a bit odd.

1 Like

Piece of feedback: im not sure if this was an existing issue or not, but its much more noticable on raya’s children (i usually dont play them)

if you make for instance, 3 potters, and 3 kilns and one turning table (they dont actually USE it its there for requirements and nice looking ness) the potters dont work togeather as well as they could be.
they do split up the asigments (3x one order for one windowsill) but they dont split up a single, big order (1x20 bricks) could this be changed so all the workers follow the que order and work togeather? (so if you have 20 bricks, 3 chairs, and 5 doors qued, that not one order goes to one worker, but that all the workers do order 1, then all of them do order 2, and then all of them do order 3?

Yes, buildings made completely out of clay or stone would still have a small wood cost to them. As long as the player knew of this feature up front, I don’t think it’d be a big issue.

I personally think the free scaffolding/ladders is fine. It’s a small compromise to ensure the game flows smoothly. But if the aim is to preserve a small sense of reality, then a small upfront “fee” of wood might be a simple remedy.

2 Likes

I duno, personally i like the way it currently is, for example,

whenever i need another high lvl crafter i will make a large order of ann item and make sure the new guy gets that order. So while the new guys working away at that order to lvl up, my main crafter is still free to do any new orders.

Now that being said, i can see how/why that would be usefull, so perhaps it should be a toggleable thing.

Yeah valid point i had not thought about that yet. i had kinda forgotten about crafter levels XD
hmm a toggle would fix it, but personally i would love some kind of feature in place that makes it redundant. shared xp maybe? (as in all get full xp from crafted items, not just the one making it)

1 Like

Off topic: Happy 2 year anniversary @8BitCrab :confetti_ball:!

6 Likes

Haha, thanks @jomaxro, it’s crazy that it has already been 2 years! :birthday: :cake: :tada: :confetti_ball:

Feels like i’ve only been here a couple months, i guess time really does fly when you’re having fun :smile:

5 Likes

RE: Militia removal
Hi, sorry much wasn’t said about this earlier.
Militia has been disabled for now. There was a bug that it caused in some other systems, which then lead to all of us having a design conversation looking deep within ourselves for whether the Militia system was the right solution for what it was trying to solve. The feature is not easily discoverable by new players and also not the easiest to use. For many players, I thinking having a footman for defense and having all noncombat citizens run to the banner and huddle for safety is the easiest to understand strategy. So its bugginess and not the greatest player experience led us to decide to disable it.

I understand there may be some players who relied on the Militia system and I am sorry for pulling it out from under you. Please give us feedback on what the Militia system meant to you and how you used it. We want to work towards making the combat system better and everyone’s feedback is very valuable in that process.

Thank you and apologies again.
-Yang

7 Likes

Thanks Yang!

For discussion on the Militia system, please post in this topic:

2 Likes

Just realised that the Rayya music sounds a lot like the sand theme in Super Mario :smiley:

1 Like

It would be cool if the players themselves had a option to either go with the default dialogue of there hearthlings or they would make there own in the game options menu

when will A19 come out? (completed)

there’s not really a set time for when an alpha will be finished, however, (if i’m not mistaken) in the past each alpha has taken about 1-2 months to complete… (psst, @jomaxro, do you have better/current info on that?)

1 Like

Thanks for the mention @8BitCrab. Like 8bitcrab I don’t have an exact date, but historically the alphas have been on a six week cycle. The first three weeks are done internally, with no public releases. Major new features are worked on at this time. The next three weeks are when builds are on the Steam latest branch (develop), with the release builds happening at the end of the 3 weeks.

Based on that cycle, one can estimate that A19 will go to the main Steam branch around November 4. Again, this is approximate, as the team will only release when they are satisfied that it is as bug free as they will get for that alpha. Also, the team has said in the past they try to avoid Friday releases as they can’t fix things over the weekend - so keep that in mind as well.

3 Likes

I really like RC and it’s been a while since I’ve played them so with these new updates I’ve given them another pass. I’m really loving this unstable alpha. Really smooth and with very few bugs (up to 21 hearthlings in my latest session.

Only two things I’ll comment on:
Getting the windchimes for the invasion for RC is a bit difficult. I had to fight them off without it.
Getting it requires upgrading a level 2 Potter to a Mason, a level 3 mason for a blacksmith hammer, a level 4 blacksmith for a carpenter saw, then finally a level 5 carpenter (in a biome with very little wood no less) and hopefully a broken flute dropped not too far from town (or your hearthlings will likely ignore your loot command). I just managed to get a carpenter up to level 2 when ogo arrived.

Secondly I had trouble building structures against cliffs. Whenever I tried the hearthlings only seemed to build it up so far, then lost interest. If I used therapist to set them to only build they would go idle. This did not always happen, however. I would remove the building and try again and they would sometimes get it. Not sure what the issue is here.

hmmmm, i acutally been noting this ‘‘building to close to a cliffe / mountain side’’ usully something is blocking their work, just demolish it, and move back like 2 blocks

Actually one other thing. The RC farmer has no way to make thread for the weaver. They can make food, herbs and acacia trees but no thread. By design or overlooked?

By design. But you can make threads by harvesting wild plants.

They earn the other crops later in the game through trading seeds.

1 Like