Alpha 19 Arrives on Steam Latest

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discussion about hearthling speech

wholeheartedly seconded! I was casually skimming the update text and then immediately snapped to attention at the mention of new music! :grin:

all hail Rayya’s Children!

6 Likes

The multiple blocks at a time threw me at first… but it makes building soooo much faster. The only issue I saw was there is some floating blocks for a bit while they build the roof.

Great update so far!

hmm… not sure how i feel about this…

personally i think "all hail @Raj " would be more fitting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was equally concerned about this, and the fact that Hearthlings can build multiple blocks at a time. However, playing A19 a bit last night I can say that I really appreciate the faster building, especially for complicated and/or large structures. Getting stuck Hearthlings out without waiting for another Hearthling to run across the map is really nice, although it does break a bit of the immersion when that happens and there’s no wood around.

I think we have a screwed view of this because we’ve been here during a time when wood was required. I think new players coming in won’t notice a thing, and we’ll happilly forget that this was ever a thing a few alphas from now.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Discussion about hearthling speech

Btw, militia has been removed.

It’s possible that a half-measure could be implemented. For example, why not add 2-5 wood to the base cost of any building? That way when hearthlings build it, it’s as though they’re pulling from the pre-planned amount that they budgeted for scaffolding and ladders.

1 Like

i also noticed in the overview ogff all your harthings it shows they will chase eachother does this mean that they can fall in love with eachother / get married / have kids soon

1 Like

Hey there @APGames, welcome to the Discourse :smiley:!

It’s a neat idea, but I’m curious how it would work for clay buildings? Would there be a wood cost even if no wood is in the design?

1 Like

This has come up before, so I want to nip it in the bud - there are no plans or children in the game. The team has shared that children adds huge complexity in generating the ESRB rating.

1 Like

den why dey be chasing eachother

because the hearthlings love to play tag :wink:

1 Like

I can’t answer that without seeing what is going on. Some guesses off the top of my head: this is a combat unit trying to catch up to a patrol, Navin Yiss is an enemy they’re going to attack, the text doesn’t really explain what is going on.

that was my blacksmith chasing my farmer

Were they both “idle”? Did they socialize after the blacksmith caught the farmer?

just started playing A19myself this morning, and from what i could tell when they “chase” another hearthling it means they’re going to go talk to them

bah who needs talk just keep working my little voxel slaves

3 Likes

@8BitCrab is correct here. I just dug into the code. Chasing is displayed when the chase_entity action is being run. chase_entity occurs in the following larger actions:

• Chase Patrol Party
  • Collect animal for pasture
  • Melee attack
  • Ranged attack
  • Chase entity until targetable
  • Run to start conversation
  • Check out random friend (pet action)
1 Like

was militia removed or the option for it moved in Alpha 19? I can not find it!!!