Add the ability to restrict crafters to crafting

One thing I’ve noticed that’s quite annoying is when my smith or carpenter goes and starts building or collecting materials when I’ve assigned him a large workload (or even any workload). I think there needs to be an ability to toggle free action on crafters as it can be quite problematic when you’re preparing for battle and you need some nice weaponry or armour and your smith is out picking up logs.

4 Likes

I got this problem too. For me it only popped up when the needed materials weren’t available within walking distance… :grin:

If the materials are available, your crafter will always craft in preference to anything short of taking care of themselves (eating and sleeping). They do have to grab materials before they start though. For instance, a blacksmith needs to bring ore and wood to his anvil to forge an ingot of metal. They prefer to get that from a stockpile, but if some is available elsewhere in the world that they know about, they may go on a journey to get it.

Usually, the only time your crafters will help out on building or filling stockpiles is when they have no crafting work to do at all. They’ll stop doing that once the have a crafting task they can complete.

1 Like

I think this is not only an idea. It’s an ingame NEED.

Would like to see this definitely

As Tuhalu said, this is already regulated with the priorities system (eating/sleeping > crafting > helping out). If its not working correctly, then its a bug and should be reported. I don’t see the need to implement anything here.

1 Like

Obviously a bug on my end then as I’ve mined out half a mountain and all the resources are in base ready for them to craft me some ingots but they choose to go and carry stones and wood about rather than craft the stuff on the floor next to them.

Well, there will be a task manager so we can prioritize the hearthlings tasks :wink:
It’s already planned since long ago, so don’t worry. In any case, they should behave like @Tuhalu says, since their normal priority was set to that.

[quote=“Audaxx, post:5, topic:13854, full:true”]
As Tuhalu said, this is already regulated with the priorities system (eating/sleeping > crafting > helping out). If its not working correctly, then its a bug and should be reported. I don’t see the need to implement anything here.
[/quote]However, if a crafter, say, your mason, has no material (e.g. stone) available, he’ll go to start building. Then one of your other workers mines some stone. The mason will keep building until he’s hungry/sleepy, and only then will he go back to crafting. Personally, I think he should check for available materials each time he needs to pick up a new building block, etc.

1 Like

You can clear his list of orders in his crafting station, then re-add them and he will go craft.

2 Likes