StoneHearth Lore and stories

@SteveAdamo I am fully behind this Idea and am fully ready to blow away the competition with my amazing genius and beautiful looks!!!

Man that sounds awesome! For someone who enjoys creating voxel models but in fact might cause permanent blindness from looking at them this sounds like a great way to get involved. Thanks steve and geoffers!

Hi guys, Thunder here, and today I have for you some lore. This is just some made up lore I came up with concerning the titan in the game, Cthulu. As far as I can tell, this is actually an already created monster with its own background. But for the sake of fun we are going to create my own backstory!

Ancients. That is the name of the species who ruled the earth before the humans. Huge, monstrous beasts who brutally oppressed everything good in the world. The bunnies of Bunnylandia were forced to retreat into their burrows out of fear. It was a terrible time to be alive.

All of the Ancients were deformed and twisted beyond belief. They were so hideous it was almost unimaginable. Each of them had their own unique power, whether they could control the weather or spew lava from their eyeballs. But despite their fierce strength and cunning, their age was coming to a close.

In an epic battle between a dragon and an Ancient, the dragon was hurled from the top of a mountain into the ground. As he crashed into the earth, dead, all of his poison seeped from his corpse into the Holy Well of Lemonade. This was an acid dragon, you see. The Holy Well of Lemonade was the place where the leaders of the Ancients gathered for a ceremonial lemonade drinking as they discussed how best to rule the planet. All of the Ancient leaders became poisoned. As they realized they were dying and they had few days left, they forced all of the other Ancients to drink their spit so that the other Ancients wouldn’t take over their spots. A group of mother Ancients, not wanting their offspring to die, they hid them in hibernation in various safe places. This small group of surviving Ancients is now called the Titans. Eventually all of the Ancients died, letting the world gradually emerge from the ashes that the Ancients left.
Cthulu, being part squid twice removed from his mother’s side, was hidden in the ocean, buried beneath a layer of seahorses. He was freed from hibernation when a troop of goblins woke him up to fight the new human threat. Strangely, none of the goblins were seen again. Unfortunately for the humans, the last the Cthulu remembers from his childhood was a human not tasting as good as he wanted. Now he seeks revenge on all humans for this terrible injustice.

I realize that this is not really that much about Cthulu, but it is important I think to kind of outline where the Titans came from. If you guys have any different ideas about the history of Titans please put them in the comments! Thank you.

Let me just say, that is an amusing story that started out interesting and just got very silly very fast. Also, one eyebrow steadily rose as I was reading that, and I think its stuck to the ceiling now. :wink:

hahaha that is exactly what I was going for! Stonehearth does have a race of bunnies after all :wink:

hey forum dwellers… so, i’m putting together a rough draft of the fan-fiction competitions rules and information thread, similar to what we have for the Qubicle Competition… but i have a broad question to ask: should we approach this competition in the same basic way?

do we want to have themes for writing? weekly contests? i think creative writing is a pretty different undertaking than voxel modeling…

let us know what you think might make the most sense for a writing contest… personally, im leaning towards a monthly writing challenge, where the only guidelines would be in the amount of text you supply (upper and lower bands)… but maybe we could introduce a short story version, which would represent the weekly challenges, with the 4th week of the competition being the larger writing sample?

so, you could write a short story in any of the preceding 2 weeks, with the final two weeks being used to prepare and submit a more expansive story on the original work? the top short story entries can expand their writing for the 4th weeks showdown (and have a bit more time to develop it)?

tl;dr; what sort of writing competition would you all like to participate in? :smile:

1 Like

I think we would need more time to think about our story so maybe a bit longer to create the stories?

right, thats where i was leaning myself… but in the interest of keeping the competition “active”, how about breaking it down into two 2-week pieces? the first two weeks, folks submit their stories… and the top two stories go on to the final two weeks, where the author has to expand on the original concept?

there would still be some reasonable minimum and maximum words requirements, to make it manageable for the writer, as well as the readers…

do we want to go for themes? or do we simplify it by saying “anything in the SH genre” (high fantasy, etc.)?

for themes maybe anything within SH fantasy like ‘Where did the Dwarves come from?’ or ‘Who made everything/Where did the gods come from?’

I like that idea for the themes @Newf and the themes defiantly have to be specific so it is easier to choose a winner. I think that 2 weeks to right a story is plenty. If you just spend 1-2 hours, you can get a fairly good story/outline for a story, so you don’t need that much time

@TheThunderOne Actually it can take a while to come up with a story, For instance I could come up with half a story on Monday but I only figure out how to finish the story on Wednesday (In my case it tends to be longer) and sometimes you cant come up with an ending AT ALL and have to create an entirely new story. So In some cases yes 1 week is plenty of time but to come up with a truly great story you may need a little more time. In fact my lore post was actually just really the bones of a story in my opinion.

thanks for the feedback guys… @Geoffers747 and i will work through the details and launch the competition in the next few days (most likely)… :+1:

I to happen to have this problem but what helps me (and might help you) is to go back and read the story, and while reading reword certain parts until it sounds right/better and in doing so it changes the story opening up different endings.(my teacher was always mad because my outlines, drafts, and final copies were never the same story…)

Here’s a story, told by a soldiers journal after many years. (tone is dark and the teller is wary)

It’s been a week now, since the goblins came… it was so fast, there wasn’t, any time to prepare… The first hours were bloody, they had, somehow gotten inside the walls before they could be stopped. Many people were lost before they were pushed back. Even Burlyhands’s brother hadn’t made it. When we had finally figured out what was going on and ridden them from within the walls, the real force had already appeared. Our city was big but nothing we had should have caused the chaos and loss brought on by this atta-… no, this wasn’t an attack… this was an invasion, for what caused this a mystery, but in the force they came in it doesn’t matter. We almost made it you know, we had, almost made it! Not a single loss when… he appeared… we’d * heavy sigh * never seen anything like him before, he was, a titan among men. By this point it wasn’t even a fight, it was a slaughter, our best men, lost in a second. I’m only here now because Burlyhands helped me escape with the others. But the few of us who made it through this sit ready now, to start a new tale, and win this land back for our people! FOR THE KING, FOR OUR LAND, for our people…

And so ends tale of this brave soldier, and here starts a new tale, and a goal, to win this land back as they’re own. (start game)
So, anyone like it? :smile_cat:
It’s best to read it with pauses, I also decided to have no names (other then Burlyhands of course) because so far we don"t know the names of characters yet. And I made this as an interesting story of how your settlers got there.

sorry for the delay folks… we’ve worked out most of the details, i just have to review some of the verbiage with @Geoffers747 in the morning… but here’s a planned schedule for a typical 6 week competition cycle (a little more time allocated for entrants to write, and members to read)… :smiley:

stay tuned!

@SteveAdamo What exactly will be the prize? I know the qubicle contest you get a home edition version of qubicle, so what would we get?

sorry on my phone sorry if this post does not make sense

@Newf Eternal fame and +1 Karma with the powers that be, is this not enough? :wink:

As well as a fancy forum title, a spot on the hall of fame, and possibly a game.

As well as a couple of other things we have hidden away for super special times :smile:

in addition to the items @Geoffers747 mentioned, the grand prize winner also gets the honor of giving me a loofah sponge bath… good luck everyone!

1 Like

Looks like I’m gonna need to rig this competition then.

That sponge bath is mine to give, MINE!