Long-Term Forum Solution

Hey Everyone, it looks like our collective awesome is too much for the Discourse. We’re currently looking into alternative, long-term forum solutions, but as a temporary stopgap, we ask you to link to images instead of uploading them. Sorry for the inconvenience–we all love looking at Qubicle constructions in particular, but we just ask that you host them elsewhere for now.

To do this, when you click on the image button in the post, select “From the web” and enter a URL instead of uploading from the desktop. Here’s a sample:

UPDATE! 6/6/13 3 cheers for the Discourse guys–when they heard we were having trouble, they reached out and helped us fix things up. Huge thanks to them and to all of you for your patience with this turbulence. Since the box the discourse is now on still has a finite amount of space, we’ll ask you to continue to host your uploaded images elsewhere, but with any luck, the site will at least be up so everyone can see them. Carry on!

UPDATE! 6/6/13 Ok, size is no longer an issue. You may now upload images again.

3 Likes

Will SH be going to a more traditional form, or just a better server for the Discourse?

But you should be warned, no forum can contain how the collective awesomeness of the game and the community.

i knew those images were the culprit! or, at the very least, contributing to the problem… :stuck_out_tongue:

do you have alternative platforms in mind, or are you taking suggestions? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic is now pinned. It will appear at the top of its category until it is either unpinned by a moderator, or cleared by each user using the Clear Pin button.

to 301 Moved Permanently for now?

We’re in talks with some folks now, but happy to take suggestions in case that doesn’t pan out.

At least the discourse works again :D. But the place i use to upload my creation is deviant art. I used links only when the files were to big for the forum but will us links as standart now :D. Other options are things like flickr.com and www.imageshack.com

1 Like

I’m blaming you @SteveAdamo and all those naked pictures you posted!

I guess we should hold off on making any changes to categories etc, and just see what happens!

Any ETA on a changeover @sdee or is it just a case of seeing how the next few days go?

I would much prefer a more traditional forum-- I really dislike the Discourse’s format.

3 Likes

We’ll let you know as soon as we have a link that works.

1 Like

i’m sure you guys will find the right solution, but if you want to just see some options, here’s a list of free vs. paid. vs. hosted solutions (i had to track this down on another front a month or so ago):

http://www.forum-software.org/tag/best-forum-software

Best Free Forum Software:

1. MyBB - Popularity: 56%
  2. phpBB - Popularity: 28%
  3. SMF - Popularity: 5%

Best Commercial Forum Software:

1. Burning Board - Popularity: 34%
  2. vBulletin - Popularity: 32%
  3. IP.Board - Popularity: 21%

Best Hosted Forum Software:

1. ProBoards - Popularity: 86%
  2. Forumotion - Popularity: 11%
  3. FreeForums - - Popularity: 1%

@sdee Does it help, if already uploaded images are replaced with links? Just tried to contribute a bit to the recovery of the board and replaced all my images. However, not sure if that helps.

2 Likes

@voxel_pirate yes sir, i’m sure it does… :slight_smile:

Yes, that definitely helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now that you are no longer hosting the files - does this mean that you will remove the limitation stopping new users sharing their creations with the community?

Seriously, this is the first time I’ve been able to get to the forums in 3 days. What have I missed?

i guess uploading ten pics over the weekend was not helpful. Sorry, now that i know i will work on changing the pics over or take down the posts

I have just launched a Stonehearth All in One website, so if you guys want to upload your photos there it is no problem, it functions as a forum, and a download center for the eventual release of user created modules!
http://www.stonehearthkingdom.com

Very useful, thanks for that! It’s good to futureproof and also to provide alternative platforms.

You should actually ask the guys running stonehearth.net to add that under the official forums tab.

1 Like

No problem, glad you like it! And I will try and get in contact with one of them to add it, thanks for the idea! :smile: