Hey all! Want to translate the game (Spanish)

Things to consider when you make software for a variety of countries: Internationalization and localization - Wikipedia

It’s fairly easy (from a technical standpoint) to distribute the text files with English in them, and have people translate these to other languages. It becomes a little more challenging when you want to write functions that automatically reformat dates/currency/word direction based on the target language. Totally doable! But often tedious.

One benefit of working on a game is that dates and currency (the things you absolutely want to get right if you’re writing, say, a banking app) are probably a lot less important. I’m wondering how much so.

Not that text is without its considerations! I once worked on a piece of software where we had to allow an extra 33% margin everywhere we used words because German tends to be longer than English. Also, finding culturally neutral icons was an extra challenge.

1 Like

Well everyday’s a school day, thanks for the explanation! :slight_smile:

In regards to the importance of date/currency obviously I cannot speak for the world, but with the majority of Europe displaying dates as dd/mm/yyyy - it could be worked around by simply something like dd/ month name, or fully typing out the date? Currency is a bit different I suppose, but, you can thank the Euro for standardising that for you!

This all depends obviously on how you’re implementing dates/currency? Hell I might have even completely missed the point!

Edit: Man, imagine how much easier it’d be if America would. Just. Conform! Date format by country - Wikipedia

Then… translate can be more though, y? ^^

@sdee
But i still saying the same thing, if we can do something with that… say it, we can make a group for translate without problems. All in your hands

1 Like

my initial reaction would be “yes”, as in the scenario you describe, the text file would be translated (accurately) to the new language (Spanish in this case), and the Spanish speaking player would immediately understand the text and context in which it was used…

having something like a single date or currency value be misrepresented would likely not be jarring enough so as to lose the intent of the rest of the sentence…

unless of course the dialogue in question was from a local merchant, talking about the future price of his wares when he travels from the settlement… :smiley:

1 Like

I think the problem with translating dates and currencies could be easily solved by making them up. Seasons are easily translatable so “1 Summer”, “2 Summer”, etc. for the date could be used for the calendar if you didn’t want to make up fictitious month names. “GP” or “Gold” is an easy currency (and translates) if you don’t want to use “samoleans” or something like that.

I’m not sure what other localization problems there might be. Since Stonehearth is a fictitious world, though, I imagine a lot of them could be overcome by making something up.[quote=“Geoffers747, post:21, topic:1444”]
Man, imagine how much easier it’d be if America would. Just. Conform!
[/quote]
I actually can’t remember most of the time what the American convention is. I’ve been writing things as day, month, year for so long and I tend to use the full month name to avoid ambiguity in case I get it wrong.

2 Likes

Things like “1 summer” and "2 summer"
are things you can change, as long as you don’t
change the code.
But as a normal guy i don’t know much about that…

-pixel

@xophnog The idea of 1º summer, 1º autumn, 1º winter, its nice. If u put 90 days on every season, u have day 1, summer 1, day 2, summer 1, day 3, summer 1. Then u dont need to think about a complete date ^^.

Like:
summer 3th day october 1223:

pixel

Well to translate the game would be simple as text is the major feature to change as the date is easy to change as if you use month in full text the they can change that to its translated equivalent or wimply put a disclaimer in which ever language they use to state that the date is month day year its like @sdee said the numerical is the hardest to change in the coding

So the actual news about localization might bring some more light into this topic.

2 Likes

Then… What gonna happen? T_T

Hey all, The time is running out (Like the song of “Muse”)

Maybe is time for regroup and think about the translation (or help on it)

Españoleeees <3 ¿Que tal si nos organizamos un pelin? Solo un pelin, aun queda mucho tiempo, pero estaría bien saber con quien se puede contar y con quien no.

hi @DaRKKoNNaN … radiant is still early in the development cycle, with just over 6 months until beta… and the first efforts at localization will likely come from the community once the beta is released… still, it never hurts to recruit your “team”… so, best of luck! :smiley:

Yeah, there’s plenty of time :p; i just think that until maybe… september, we don’t need to start translating and all of that; i don’t think that the beta will have so much text; the lore would come in the release version :stuck_out_tongue:

Yo! @DaRKKoNNaN I’m a Spanish guy, let’s group with skype or something and talk about it, i have just found this post and I’m very interested on translate this game, is going to be fantastic :wink:

Poh eso!, que vamos a organizarnos, deja tu skype, aqui dejo el mio, Skype: luxurus , agregame y hablamos por ahi, y la gente que vaya saliendo y este interesada pues que de su skype y hacemos una conversacion, que será mas facil que hablar por aqui ^^ Un placer y esperando tu feedback!

Yo! @Nikell time for group then! ^^. If someone want add us on skype, tell us or post ur skype here.

Ahora cuando vuelva a casa (estoy fuera de casa) te agrego a skype! ^^ y ya podemos hablar por ahí.

I am English, however in the middle of taking a Spanish GCSE. I know obviously my Spanish doesn’t even compare to you guys’ Spanish but I still feel I could help. It’s probably not really much of an offering, but if you read anything and just think “I don’t know what that means”, tell me and I’ll see if I can translate and explain it for you. Also if any of you 3 are wanting to make a mod, I am more than happy to translate it through to English for you :smile:

Soy inglés, pero en el centro de mi GCSE de español. Sé mi español es peor que vosotros sin embargo creo que puedo ayudar. No es mucho de un ofreciente, pero si lees algo y crees “No sé que eso significa”, me dice y traduciré y explicaré por tú. También, si alguno de nosotros queréis a crear un mod, puedo traducirlo a inglés por tú. :smile:

p.s. @sdee I agree that, by making up your own currency, you’d solve your problems there. Also, if you’re wanting to implement dates as mm/dd/yyyy then there’s only actually dd/mm/yyyy for Europe and yyyy/mm/dd for Japan, I don’t know how much work it would require to allow people to change that but if it’s not much it would be nice, especially as a European, it would be kind of nice not to be confused by the dates being ‘the wrong way round’ :smile:

Concuerdo que hacer una moneda haría resolver una problema. También, si querer a implementar fechas como mm/dd/aaaa pues hay sólo dd/mm/aaaa por Europa y aaaa/mm/dd por Japón, no sé como mucho trabajo lo requiere pero si no es mucho, sería guay a no ser confundido de las fechas son ‘falsa’ :smile:

@Smokestacks Hello!!! ^^ Im glad if someone like you want to help ^^. Because u can make my english BETTER, and probably we can improve your spanish too ^^.

If u want to speak with me daily or something, add me on skype ^^ (darkykun).

hola soy de argentina y me gustaria ayudar con la traduccion a español de este esplendido juego

!Hey, hola
aun sigues con este proyecto? veo que ya lleva tiempo y me intrigo mucho ya que llevo jugando el juego desde la Alfa 2 hasta la actualidad(con ACE mod) y desde siempre soñe con una traduccion casi COMPLETA del juego(y se que ya existen) pero aun asi, si sigues trabajando en este proyecto desearía poder ayudar en lo que pudiera soy de venezuela, un saludo!