Dust effect from item placement remains offscreen until camera moves over it

Title: Dust effect from item placement remains offscreen until camera moves over it.

Summary: When citizens place blocks while building or plant crops in farms, there is a rather pleasing dust particle effect. However, when some of this takes place offscreen, when the camera then moves over the now placed blocks/crops, these missed dust effects are all played at once, which looks rather strange.

Steps to reproduce: Simply have crops planted or a building built, have some of that take place offscreen, and then move the camera over the relevant area. All these dust particle effects should appear at once.

Attachments:

E.g., 6:59, 47:57 (clearest one!), 49:38.

Versions and mods: No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 110) according to the title screen.

System information:

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
  • Memory: 8192MB RAM
  • DirectX-version: DirectX 11
  • Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
2 Likes

:frowning: oh my, thanks for reporting this, it’s really annoying for me, I feel like it can be bad for memory or processing. Don’t know why I haven’t reported it before, even if this happens probably from the first releases…

1 Like

I just thought it was an intended feature.

Hehe :slight_smile: well, I don’t think it is, because when you think about it, it makes no sense, especially if it’s meant to be something like dust. Also there’s the memory/processing concern @Relyss mentioned. I will say that there’s actually something sort of esthetically pleasing about it, to me.

Yes, it’s not that bad looking, except when there are too many dust puffs when you turn the camera, could give the impression there was an explosion or something… Moreover if there aren’t any settlers there because the work has been already finished, that doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

I’ve reproduced this on my machine.

Still in R118.

E.g., 6:24.

Still in R166.

E.g., 10:20.

I actually thought the same thing. I think it’s kind of neat that when I move my camera back to an area I haven’t seen in a while I can get a quick “alert” showing me what’s new.

2 Likes

Well, see the above discussion in this thread. It could still be, but since we haven’t yet heard any official word on it I figured I’d add a reminder that it’s still in now.

2 Likes

I’m just going to give you some system info in case this could be a potential cause:

Graphic Settings: No VS, Fullscreen, no AA, no shadows, max lights and draw distance, fast selection
Stonehearth Version: 0.1.0

Unfortunately due to the nature of the bug I can’t take a screen shot fast enough but here’s what happens.

When using harvest to gather resources from a mountain, they create a dust storm particle effect. If you don’t have the dust in view then they slowly build up and never disappear. Not much of an issue but worth mentioning.

Fix the title (created), but good point out

I can write you a good system and make great interfaces, but can I spell, not a chance :wink:

Do the effect disappear when you move the camera there?
Like, the effect only plays and finishes if you’re watching it?

Now that you mention it, perhaps it has contributed to the memory problem, who would have known… :disappointed_relieved:

You may be experiencing this.

As far as its relevance to performance, there was this suggestion:

1 Like

I too have noticed this issue, also noticed that the building dust effect does the same if you say Alt Tab out and then bring the game back in to focus, any blocks built (say part of a roof) during that time of not being in focus all play and animate the dust effect.

Not a biggy just adding to OP =)

Yes, I was asking him because this would need a merge.

Yea it goes when I move the camera to it :wink:

1 Like

Bingo. Seen this often enough, eg if I leave my miners / farmers / anyone else causing particle effects, then come back. All the particle effects will fire at once when the area they’re in is visible.

i must say - i didnt see this as an issue! almost i like it! because when i have bigger interactions like roadbuilding, housebuilding on another location etc - that is the fasted way to check how the have processed ^^

i have mostly so many citizens and i cant really check what they do - so i zoom out and wushhhh i see okkkkk great work :smiley:

so please dont remove it ^^ max set an option to disable it for persons who dont like it^^

for miners or for firepitchs etc not neccessary but for construction its a nice gimik :smiley: (and so you make a bug to an ingame process - that cant make many people ;))

1 Like