[BUG] Fire glow but no embers

Night time, fire glowing but no embers

(unable to upload image as I’m a new forum member)

Hey there @Brussells welcome aboard! :smiley: Thanks for your report! Could you make it a bit more specific? There are thread on how to make a bug report! This way they can see if there is a way to replicate the problem! I haven’t seen it myself so far !

Thanks! Hopefully you’ll enjoy your stay here! And the game ofcourse!

Greetings,

Ghost :3

1 Like

Sorry, was rather vague wasn’t it - a picture says a thousand words (but I can’t upload it yet)

Summary:
Night time came, character placed wood in the correct place, animation played for lighting it, yellow glow around the fire correct but no flame/ember animation appeared. Sound also working correctly.

Steps to reproduce:
Automated process so unable to replicate by player actions.

Expected Results:
Expect to see the flame/ember animated yellow and red round shapes of the fire.

Actual Results:
Yellow glow around the fire but no fire animation or flame/ember images.

Versions and Mods:
Latest update (released this morning I believe - correcting the multi stockpile and banner issue). Unsure of release version number I’m afraid).

System Information:
Lenovo Laptop G580. i3 Intel. 8Gb ram. Running on highest settings available in-game (anti aliasing etc).

Hope that helps :smile:

2 Likes

Going to revive this topic with some pictures to show it! :smile:

As you can see, there are no embers yet still that healthy glow all thanks to L’Oreal’s latest moisturiser

The fire not being lit isn’t necessarily a bug, as I believe all my workers were preoccupied (that being the trapper sat by the fire), but I don’t see why it should be glowing if it has no fire. I don’t believe there was only glow during the day.

Versions and Mods: Alpha 3 Release whichever one it was 3 days ago :disappointed: I assume the same as now

Summary: After I saved/loaded to attempt a workaround for another issue, the fire in my firepit was missing. The log was still there (so it’s not quite like this otherwise apparently similar old report), as was the actual lighting effect and the sound effect of the crackling fire; just the visual effect of the fire itself was missing. See attachment.

Steps to reproduce: Not sure if consistent, but I guess just save/load when the campfire is lit.

Attachments:
Fire is lit at 14:11 (you can tell from the flash), immediately before save/load. After loading (±14:30), the fire is apparently lit again (another flash and sound effect), and then at 14:53 you can see the invisible fire (uh…).

Versions and mods: No mods, latest release version in Steam at the time of writing, version 0.1.0 (release 166) according to the title screen.

System information:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX-version: DirectX 11
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

We have a report for this. But I don’t remember that anyone mentioned the save/load part.

Pretty old, huh. (Alpha 3… :sweat: )

1 Like

Ah, that one is more relevant than the one I found, for sure. Thanks! Seems like those can indeed be merged. Was looking for “fire” and “pit” and “invisible” and “missing” and such, but didn’t think of “ember” or “glow”… ah well, you win some, you lose some :smiley:

Summary: When I place braziers, some of them do not have a fire effect to accompany the lighting.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Craft braziers (Tall and short)
  2. Place

Expected results: Brazier has fire effect at nighttime

Actual results:

First the front two stopped burning when I placed the rear ones.

Then all four tall ones went out when I placed two short ones. Here, only one has actually been placed as hunger made the villager abandon it just before placing.

Both small braziers in action. The tall ones are missing the effect

A few days later, I noticed all of them working just fine. Hmmmmm…

Notes: I think this is caused by placing many braziers. My first brazier always works fine until I start adding others. Its a transient problem and they seem to always work after a day or so.

Build: r180

Extra eye candy:

La maison du berger, 2014 - 1366 x 768. Pixels on LCD. €12,499.99.

off the topic of the bug finally that I’ve seen someones made a cobblestone pasture it looks really good nice work @phector2004.\

[quote=“phector2004, post:1, topic:9131”]
La maison du berger, 2014 - 1366 x 768. Pixels on LCD. €12,499.99.
[/quote] Isn’t that what the prices are for everything now in france and italy etc.)

3 Likes

Need to divide by about 1,000, given they’re suffering not from inflation but (a) deflation and (b) no jobs to make the money to pay for the pic :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes

As the glowing is there, this is the ‘fire glows but no ember’ bug. Of course it’s due to the braziers reusing the code for the fire effect.

Edit: Merged and confirmed for r180 (I’ve had it happen with the firepit too, for Alpha 7).

2 Likes

Humble Bundle version. All objects that have fire and produce light only produce light (and shadows) - no fire.

Win7 pro, Intel 64bit GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2.

hey there @NonBritGit … long time, no see? :smile:

would you mind tossing up a screenshot? thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, been following this game for what, a year? Finally made the plunge over the weekend. This team really impresses me and the game is charming as hell.

Funny, night time rolled around again and I now have fire… I’ll post a screenie if I see it again…

Update: Seems to happen when you minimse the game and come back:

3 Likes

This bug is old. But as they introduced better shadows and rendering changes, I don’t know if merging or not. Before, it usually only affected the firepit, but it’s true that before we didn’t have many more light sources… :confused:

2 Likes

You have a fire pit with a log and no fire, but light.
I have a fire pit with no log, but fire and light - during the daytime.
Not sure if this really belongs here, but it seems somewhat relevant.

Loving the new shadows, Team Radiant! Although it is a bit messy during the daytime.

3 Likes

I will say a cycle of day/night fixes the lighting effect. Just minimizing the game and doing other things, then bringing it back causes this. Not game-braking for sure.

2 Likes

I can also confirm that it happens when loading a game. I saved a game with the firepit lit and then quit and loaded the game to find the light but no fire particles. The next night, after continuing to play for another day, the fire was burning correctly again.

Running the latest 64-bit Steam build (2148).

1 Like

Can you test if the particles disappear when shaking and/or resizing the game window?

Although I’m more worried about that daylight bug of @coasterspaul

As always, thanks for reporting!

1 Like

Shaking and resizing the window has no effect on particles (they keep showing).

1 Like