Writer's Workshop 3: The Wrath of Mer!

Actually last time you got exactly 4.885 votes, but I rounded it up :stuck_out_tongue: .

@SteveAdamo, for the next round… hmm. Well so far we’ve had conflict, recovery, Stonehearth (that is, stories must relate to SH etc), whatever your round 3 plan is, and a limit of 350 words. In terms of entries we’ve also had both the serious and the humorous, and both prose & poetry. I think the conflict theme is always a good one, because it usually means some kind of protagonist / antagonist action, which always helps writing (at least IMHO).

Thinking about the workshop nature of these competitions though, I do have a couple of suggestions. First, a character piece: a short story etc that gives you a lot of insight into just one, or maybe two, individuals. Second, a sympathetic character piece about someone you don’t like (fictional people only though :stuck_out_tongue: !). I think it’s easy to write well about characters you like or approve of… not so much for the villains.

Right, let’s have a look at the stories in round 2 :slight_smile:

@TurtleSquish - Double Recovery
Few spelling or grammatical errors (eg “lie under the covers” rather than “lay…”, but really not much to worry about), and the pacing seems nicely done too.

As for the story itself, I’m confused as to why the blanket worked the way it did (ie restoring Jeren to sensibility) - it doesn’t seem magical, nor does Jeren seem so attached to it that he might prefer being comatose to life without his precious blanket. Story structure (build-up etc) is fine though.

Also, that pun is truly cringeworthy :laughing: .

@Zilla - The Recovery From Smartness
Mostly grammatical errors (“Inside were all the creatures…” or “and heard lots of chewing…” for example), but spelling seems fine. In particular, you should look into when to use a colon ( this thing => : ), as I’d have used it when Tall Tim finds the sword & armour, and when he looks at his reflection.

Little confused as to how Tall Tim made it back to the other goblins after being attacked (did the others follow him?), but not much else to say really - sympathetic characters and all that :slight_smile: .

@Dwarf - Spring Comes To Silverwell
The one thing that struck me in terms of technical stuff was your use of " its’ ". You want to use “it’s” as the short form of “it is” and “its” for the possessive form (eg “its icy daggers…”). I’m also a little confused by “The bright dawn shun the ragged hole…” - do you mean the dawn shunned (ie, avoided) the hole, or that it shone into the ragged hole?

Nice and clear recovery theme in the story :slight_smile: . I did notice though that Navin goes to sleep 6hrs after dawn, yet when he wakes up it was dawn 4hrs ago - did he sleep for nearly 24 hours?

@Lepoard200 - Redbreeze
Some minor spelling and grammatical errors (“from” not “form” in the opening sentence, or the lack of dashes or commas around the “stolen by deserters” bit), but otherwise okay. I guess you copied it from Notepad or w/e though, as the forum preserved the odd line breaks.

The main thing I’m confused about is the story is about. Talk of the village of Redbreeze makes it sound like it’s a hearthling village, but the final paragraph makes me wonder if it’s goblins instead (also, what’s with mention of the column?). That aside, the theme is obvious, and the pacing fine.

@Newf - Preparing For Winter
Some missing full stops and a few other odds and ends, but nothing major on the technical side (eg “as they did to everything else” instead of “do”).

I think the problem with this story is that the theme of recovery isn’t very clear in it. To be sure, the lord & his riders do reach the intact barn with its food stores, but with the scythe-armed lunatic trapping them in, it’s not clear that this is a story about recovery so much as botched recovery :laughing: .

@PDanford - Alive At Least
Not much to say here - “Idrias head rises” needs an apostrophe, and I think after “Martin?” you needed a full stop and new sentence for Idria’s response. Few technical issues basically.

In terms of story it’s also nice. I might have had a bit more emphasis on the recovery theme, but it’s there in various forms. Nice little sequel to your previous entry :slight_smile:

@Atralane
Struggling to find technical issues here :stuck_out_tongue: . I would have dropped the “so” in “namely so because” and swapped in “by” instead of “in” in “in goblin standards”, but… yeah. Technically fine.

A nice continuation of Liyl’s lore and history. Of course now I’m stuck because there’s not much to criticise here, and a line and a half seems a little short for this. Oh well :stuck_out_tongue: .

@SprungCardinal8 - Peace At Hearth
Not much here on the technical side, though as a phrase I’m not sure “at a loss of balance” works that well (“unsteady on his feet” or “struggling to stay upright” etc?).

As for the story, I’m struggling to detect a clear “recovery” theme here. It’s a nice story to be sure, and amusing to boot, but I’m not sure where the recovery bit comes in. No mention of the hangovers even :stuck_out_tongue: !

@Sanyo201 - North Greenstone
Very little on the technical side to comment about. I’d have put in a colon after “head held high” I think, but again there’s little to point out.

Another nice story, one of my favourites from this round I think. The theme is clear, the mayor (at least I assume it’s his thoughts and not the captain’s) gets a nice bit of fleshing out as a character… yeah, nice stuff. One thing you might have done differently (I don’t mean better, just differently) that occurred to me was to have the mayor believing everyone was dead (and to thus be heading for the metaphorical cliff), only for a voice up the (literal) cliff to ask him to go prop that fallen ladder up - could’ve made for a nice sudden swing from one extreme of emotion to the other.

@Coasterspaul - Berry Glen
The usual nitpick-y list (you forgot a space between “answer” and “his”, or “I remember being taller” etc), but as with most entries there’s very little to criticise on the technical level.

Not entirely sure where the recovery theme comes in (recovering from an obsession? Maybe? Hmm), but that aside it’s a nice and amusing story. I was a little confused though by how Jeren says Pyat has no choice about leaving his room, then has already gone in time for Pyat’s lunge, and reports to Lorna that he won’t come.

Looking over all the stories, I think the most common issue (leaving aside the usual smattering of grammatical nitpicks and such) is the theme, which I at least have sometimes struggled to see clearly. So, do remember to stick clearly to whatever theme @SteveAdamo has set, because if I can read it and wonder about where the theme in the story is, I’m sure I’m not alone.

Anyway, hope everyone’s found the comments useful :slight_smile: .

7 Likes

immensely… thanks again for taking the time to capture this! folks can only grow and benefit from constructive feedback like this… :+1:

ROUND TWO RESULTS

congratulations to our Round Two winners! and a round of applause to all our participants!! :smile: :clap:

note: I’ve awarded everyone who didn’t already have a custom title, with the Writer’s Workshop tier one title of Stonehearth Scribe… congratulations! :smile:

FINAL ROUND DETAILS

still working out the details on this one, but the participants will include:

@Atralane, @Dwarf, @TurtleSquish, @Zilla and @PDanford from this round… as well as @Teleros, @Solus and @Heilari from round one…

more soon!

7 Likes

Wow I am truly flattered by your review, also you are bothered by exactly the thing that was bothering myself.
Sadly I ran out of words when coming to the shaman and I couldn’t really cut away much without leaving odds and ends open.
Its really startling how fast one can use up 350 words… IguessIwillhavetochangemywritingstyle!

:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I wrote it up on Word, and it didn’t seem to like how I was spelling it (can’t actually remember how I was spelling it) but that’s what it said I should use~

I meant that the roof was ruined and that the sun was shining through the ragged hole in it. So probably the latter.

My bad… But it was one tiring battle! :wink:

Thanks for the critique, though.

1 Like

The idea was that it was a hearthling village, but it was reborn as a goblin village.

Well, it was partially about Pyat’s recovery, but it was set to the backdrop of a town that needed to repair / recover.

ok, so after much deliberation (meaning, failed attempts at coming up with something else) we’re going to go for a character piece for the final round! :smile: :+1:

head on over to the new thread and read up on the details…

I wanted to have an epic fight but word limit so yeah andhe scythe-armed lunatic was supposed to be Jack from the first story.

So are we delaying voting this round, or wait for the next round.

since we had a “free voting” window for the first two rounds, we’ll just leave it be for the finals… but yes, for the next competition I agree we should give the other option a go…

I’m counting on you to remind me though… :wink:

2 Likes

That’s the idea :slight_smile: . Writing a short story / speech / whatever is usually harder than writing a long one. In a long one you have a lot more freedom in the word count department obviously. It constrains you, and thus (hopefully!) forces you to be more creative in how you write for the theme in question.

It also stops too much wall o’ text stuff - I’ve an 8.6k word short story set in my United Commonwealth setting, but it’s just a wee bit too long :smiley: .

1 Like

Best of luck to everyone in the next round, I’ll be waiting for the next contest with bated breath. Thank you very much @Teleros for the critique, it makes me happy to know my work was passable, and I will definitely take your suggestions into thought the next time I get the notion to rattle away on my keyboard.

5 Likes

I liked at a loss of balance, kinda a wordy way to say staggering without the hard consonants of struggling to stay upright :grinning:

I guess I probably should’ve thought a little longer on recovery. My thought process was peace treaty, party, recovery done. ONTO HUMOR!! XD

as for the hangovers, they sure are lucky team radiant hasn’t added loud song birds yet lol

Anyway good luck in the final round! I’ll be rooting for you on the sidelines

3 Likes

Quick question for @SteveAdamo that just occurred to me…

By this do you mean any character, or must it be one from our previous entry / entries? I mean, I could do a short story on Steph, Tom or Tony from my round 1 entry (though given the names, hmm :blush: ), or can I just write about any (ie potentially not related to Stonehearth) character?

it was meant to be a background story for an existing character from a submitted story… but I’m an easy going sortof guy…

I leave it to the writer’s discretion… :smile:

edit: hard to type while at a sushi bar… :wink:

2 Likes

Haha! Nooice!!! I like it :smile:

As promised in the submissions thread, my other round 3 entry. Please just vote on the proper submission and not on this one :wink: . Just enjoy it (I hope!)…

[quote]Man & Machine
“So tell me, just how old are you?” Frieda pushed her plate to one side and tilted her head quizzically at the inscrutable, black-haired man opposite. Maybe now he’d open up a little to her.

For nearly a minute, the major stared back, studying her. As ever, it made Frieda feel like he was examining a lab specimen, or deciding which way to kill her.

Finally, he spoke. “I turned sixteen-fourteen last month. I’ve been doing… this… since I was twenty-four.” The same dry, matter-of-fact tone he always used. How typical.

Frieda shook her head, her mind a mix of disbelief and certainty. Sixteen centuries!

Major Black raised an eyebrow slightly. “I know exactly what you’re thinking, but you needn’t worry: I volunteered knowingly after all.”

“That’s supposed to stop me worrying? After all the things you did in the war?”

Major Black nodded. “You are not thinking clearly,” he began, dispassionately. “Your superiors recognise in you a decent human being.” He paused to stare at her seriously. “They do not misuse or mistreat assets.”

“So what kind of asset are you?” she replied, leaning back in her chair, arms folded.

“Isn’t it obvious? I’m an actor… and a set of very broad shoulders. I assure you,” he added, “I do not like the unpleasant parts of my job at all.”

“But you don’t dislike them either, do you? And you still feel satisfaction for doing a job well,” Frieda shot back.

Major Black gave a small shrug, then took a sip from his wineglass. “I have found the human mind able to adapt to an almost infinite variety of situations,” he said by way of response. “Do something for long enough, and it becomes normal.”

As she left the empty mess hall, Frieda wondered how about the major’s story. He *was* a fantastic actor: that much she knew from experience. But the rest? No: just another of his masks.

In his quarters, Major Black mentally filed the conversation under “Frieda Bester, Captain, DI:6”, and began his next report.

Sometimes the best mask was none at all.[/quote]

(Speaking of voting, @phector2004 I think you’re supposed to like (ie vote) on your favourite round 3 story only after the submissions are all in :stuck_out_tongue: …)

2 Likes

I think we’ll allow votes to be cast at anytime for this final round… however, for the next (entirely new) competition, we’ll adopt the “wait till all submissions are in first” approach… :+1:

3 Likes

Oh man cutting away was brutal this time around. Hopefully my entry passes the submission rules, but more importantly I wish for it to be an enjoyable read!

2 Likes

Super slammed this weekend, probably not going to get anything in until either late sunday or early monday…