Writer’s Workshop Submissions. Cycle 1, Week 3 - The first battle

Yet another continuation, the third in my little saga. Not sure how it reads on it’s own, but here are part one and part two if you haven’t read them yet and would like to. Decided to try a less predictable route with this weeks theme, tell me what you think :blush:

After Godrick got Samson’s arm patched up as best he could, they dug graves. Only one had a makeshift tombstone. There was no service, just a few moments of silence to mourn. As they began preparing a meal around their cookfire, Godrick approached Mer solemnly.

“This was sitting on the table by his cot” Godrick said without inflection, handing a sheet of scribbled on paper to Mer. “Didn’t read it. Didn’t want to. Samson will want to, cost him his hand, give it to him when you’re done.”…

Crossing the pass was easy. It shouldn’t have been that easy, and we could all feel it. that feeling of disaster right around the corner… but nothing happened. We were cold, and we were hungry, but we were safe.

On the other side of the pass, the land was untouched, like nothing we had ever seen. Raw and bountiful, without shortage of any kind. We set up lean-to’s that first night, and did little but gather food the first day. The second day the real work began, chopping trees, and laying down the foundation for a house. Nothing fancy, barely a house at all, but we could sleep a little heavier with a roof over our heads, that was for damn sure.

It didn’t quite take a week for us to get really settled in, but once we did…then things weren’t so easy. The first attack came with the light of dawn, and we were not ready for it. Why would you attack at dawn? It just seemed so… wrong. Monsters come out at night, right? Well if you thought that, you were wrong. Very wrong.

I was keeping watch through the last few hours of the night, and once the sun broke the horizon…well I dozed off as I heard the others moving around inside, it made sense to me at the time, I’m sure it did. There was no danger left.

I woke to a blade piercing my chest, and opened my eyes to a goblins grotesque face inches away from my own, howling with bloodlust. How did he get so close without me hearing him? I should’ve heard him, should’ve woken up. The rest of our band came bursting out of the house almost immediately, and I saw that this goblin hadn’t come alone. There had to have been at least six of them. How did they get so close? Why didn’t I hear them? I guess goblins aren’t quite the clumsy beasts I had expected…

I didn’t see much, hard to focus when you can feel your life pouring on to the forest floor. Plus me passing out didn’t help. But I saw Mer wielding that carpenters hammer like a war hammer, crushed at least two goblins skulls. Illowyn had her bow strung already, must’ve been gearing up to go out and hunt…guess we were just lucky. She put one through the big guy’s eye, he never saw it coming. As for Godrick and Samson…well I honestly never even saw them, but there were at least three other goblins, so they must’ve done something. I don’t know, it all happened so fast.

I can hear them burying the goblins in the fading light. Digging my grave too no doubt. Can’t believe I was so stupid. If you’re reading this, make sure you keep a vigil watch, more so when it seems unnecessary. And if you’re tired, well I can assure you, you’ll be able to sleep plenty once you’re dead.

-Ulrich

2 Likes