Radiant + Riot Games

You, honestly. :slight_smile: Riot really respects the relationship Stonehearth has with all of you, and they don’t want to wreck it. So let’s keep doing our thing, together. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Woah!,

Well hey, my congratulations to you all at Radiant Entertainment!

Fun fact… I just learned that Riot Games made League of Legends… and knowing how HUGE that game is, just… well… even more ‘WOW’!

But out of curiosity, will this affect the development in any way? You already mentioned Stonehearth will still be in development and everything in the above comments…

But I’m wondering, will this event allow Riot Games to add more people onto the development of Stonehearth?

If so, great! You guys work your butts off, so I’m thinking a few extra hands and minds couldn’t hurt.

Either way, congrats again!

-Surly

2 Likes

My mind says this is a good thing, but my heart remains troubled. Our little indie team is now part of the big leagues.

Growing up so fast! :frowning:

On a serious note, may this blossom nothing but support for Radiant and Stonehearth from Riot and their community as well as ours. And may it disprove any doubts I have.

11 Likes

This is just… WOW. I’m really really happy Radiant has been acquired by Riot!!

I’ve been follow you guys all along since RT alpha release and, as huge Sandbox Survival fan, seeing that Stonehearth development will continue is amazing. I hope that the acquisition can put you guys in contact with Riot team and improve even further the game.

For those worried about how Riot may behave for micro transaction, LoL’s F2P model does not give you any kind of advantage for those who spend money in the game, is mostly cosmetic content or things that you can acquire for free in the game.

Congratz guys, welcome aboard and enjoy the ride, Riot is a pretty awesome company to work for!

(Edit: btw, first post in here, I had to comment on this news)

2 Likes

Hey there @Kazack, welcome to the Discourse!

4 Likes

congratulations! Does this mean more soap?

c:

1 Like

Hmm… I have nothing to complain about. I mean, ever since gingers were added, I haven’t had anything to complain about. I didn’t even have anything before gingers to complain about, expect for there not being any gingers to begin with. I’m getting off track, so just ignore this post.
Trys to sneak out of room
falls
Ouch

8 Likes

Congratulations!

I have a few questions though ,

• Who came to who? Did you guys try to get into contact with Riot or vise versa, also why?

• What other companies have contacted you in the past and what other possibilities were you looking for?

Congratulations though! , I’m just a little concerned as to what is next for Radiant as a whole. These stories hardly pan out well though… I wish you guys would have just stayed as an independ studio. No matter though I will still continue supporting whatever is next for Radiant,

5 Likes

I think the most pressing question is: has Ghostcrawler nerfed farming already? :slight_smile: I jest, <3 GC

1 Like

first and foremost, congratulations to Team Radiant!

I am sure this means bigger and better things for everyone involved, and you wouldn’t have made this step if it weren’t the best thing for TR going forward…

onward to the next phase! :smile: :thumbsup:

5 Likes

Hey there @Nevsky, welcome to the Discourse!

Was Tencent involved in the merger, or were negotiations only with Riot? How exactly does that work, since Tencent is the parent company of Riot. Did you guys have to negotiate terms with Tencent?

i get really surprised when i view some articles talking about this ! was even thinking " omg rito plz, do not destroy radiant job by changing them and their way of working" but it seems to be ok :o
stay the same you are guyz and keep doing stonehearth, one of the best game of this world :smiley:

2 Likes

I, like many people, I suspect, are equal parts utterly thrilled/overjoyed and cautiously apprehensive about this news. I want to be completely, head over heels in love with this news, but I also can’t help but worry.

I think it may help us to calm down if we could maybe get a little more information on Riot’s main motivations for the acquisition. From a business perspective, it feels like Riot stood to gain some key talent that were working on Rising Thunder, maybe access to some proprietary IP that Riot can leverage on LoL and any future products, etc.

You guys have already said that Stonehearth is just along for the ride, which lends some credence to the above ideas. So if Riot has no real interest in inserting itself into SH development or distracting its dev team on other projects, then I’m happy, because it means TR will effectly be allowed to remain it’s indie studio self while enjoying the fiscal benefits of being a part of a large studio.

In short, if Riot’s priorities for this deal lie in other facets of Radiant’s team/assets, I think I can calm down somewhat and be happy for the added stability the acquisition will bring for TR.

I understand if these details have to remain confidential as a condition of the deal. If thats the case, please just confirm, and we can just keep keeping our digits crossed that life will really go on unchanged for the SH dev team, and ultimately the game itself.

I don’t want to weigh down an otherwise jubilant moment for TR. I really am excited! I just don’t want to lose another amazing indie studio making a game I love.

10 Likes

Congrats! but i’m honestly confused, didn’t you guys already have all the funding you needed from the kickstarter? why bring in Riot?
I trust your decision either way but I assume you wouldn’t have had as much support from the start if people knew you were going to be acquired by another company later down the line.

2 Likes

If you read the previous posts, this seems to be more about Radiant’s other team and game “Rising Thunder”, so this is not about funding/support from us. We can just hope Riot never really develops an interest in Stonehearth.

1 Like

Oh god… it’s true! They want to make a HOBA (Hearthling Online Battle Arena!) Wait… wasn’t this an April Fools joke a couple years back? Paging @Pandemic Can we get a mockup of this?

Edit: Yep last year!

9 Likes

Acquisition has a really bad impression in Korea here.
Mainly because of “KaKao” a SNS company that tends to buy good mobile games and add a ton on micro-transactions, and essentially ruining the game (they’re a lot better now, but still)

I doubt anyone could really try to add a micro-transaction thing to SH without building it back up from nearly nothing, and i doubt they want to change a game that is already getting popular and has a lot of potential to something less(for the long run at-least)

I’m not a fighter game guy, so RT isn’t ‘that’ much of a problem for me (though i did really enjoy it and i like it a lot)
Hope it comes back in the near future ad with Riots support! (Maybe some paid stuff, but i doubt it’ll make a big difference)

I’m happy for TR for getting such an opportunity, you’re truely one of the Premium game devs out there in quality and I believe you guys can handle stuff well(in all ways)

4 Likes

I personally hope Riot Games does not touch Stonehearth at all other than giving resources and money to Radiant. After Riot Games were bought out by Tencent League of Legends became such a bad game even though they tried “improving” it with new match making and other new things. League used to be big on community…now it’s just big on getting money.

1 Like

Ough…

I’m seriously not sure whether I’ve to be happy with this.
On one hand: it could work out very well, as their is possibly more support from Riot Games to Stonehearth.
But it can also turn completely the wrong way around, grabbing money money money.

I can’t help about it, but my trust in the development of Stonehearth went from a solid 8 to a meager 4 (on a 1-10 scale).
Please prove me wrong! :sweat:

1 Like