Desktop Tuesday, Feb 13th, 2018 - Slab Tool 2.0

I hope you can edit already existing buildings… that would be great…

This is speculation (mainly based on streams), but It might be a feature they’ve scheduled to be added later.
Here is why I think that: Chris (@not_owen_wilson) has talked about diffing a template with the world. Basically you look at your template, and then at the world, then compute the difference between the two. The result is what you order your hearthlings to change.

If I am correct, this would allow you (in theory) to

• Repair broken buildings
  • Put a template into a mountain side.
  • and thus also allow a template to be put one voxel down into the terrain.

But I don’t believe it will be in this alpha, because chris has said that he wants to focus on this builder being as capable as the old one, so this system is additional functionality. However if all this is true, then I think it will be added later, as chris has shown that he wants this diffing into the code.

That was just speculation based on my observations, only @not_owen_wilson can confirm or deny.

1 Like

I really hope this isn’t the case. This is just my opinion, so take it as that, but “we’ll add it later” anymore turns into a LOT later. This wouldn’t be a game breaking feature, but for those of us that prefer ground level buildings (as I assume I’m not the only one), it’d make things limiting, as we’d have to plan the base of our buildings out prior to actually designing them. So any additions, like a larger part here or there, would require us to dig out more before we proceed. You get where I’m going with this.

None the less, I await eagerly for a response.

1 Like

I’m quite sure Chris said in his latest stream that ground level buildings wasn’t working at that point, but that it will by the time that the alpha gets out. I don’t remember if it was he or someone else that said that they wanted to get the new building system out as soon as possible so they are going to release it as soon as it can do everything that the current building system can and then release some more new features when they get done.
I’m… hopefully not just making stuff up… :thinking:

7 Likes

Oh wait, I’ve already bought it.

7 Likes

Well, I think I remember chris has expressed the senitiment “I eventually really want to get there.” more. I don’t know if chris will work on building in A25.

Anyway, I should stop this, because I’m not chris. (also not owen wilson)

1 Like

Cool so I’ll attempt to answer a bunch of questions quickly:

• Yes it’s a ladder tool and a fence tool. We look forward to bringing these both into the builder as soon as we can
  • Yes, that’s a terrain tool. This will probably be one of the last ones we add in but we would like to allow terrain to be replaced or to create hovel homes etc.
  • Yes, we are planning to allow both in-ground and above ground foundations. It is currently planned to be an option you can select when placing floors and room. This isn’t a ‘we will do it some day’ one. We plan to have this in.
  • Also here, there is a hole tool that will allow you to cut holes in pretty much anything. This is already in the code and working!
  • We are planning for editing of buildings once they are already completed and potentially when they are in-progress. This is going to come later in development once we iron out the core (core = create building, build it, most tools implemented).
  • I am investigating merging buildings now, specifically the User Experience implications. Currently we have a pretty slick solution that’ll need to be tested out.
  • Buildings will be able to have yards, fences, and outdoor space as part of it. :smiley:

As with all things in development please, please take this with a word of caution. I can say some of these with a high degree of confidence because some of it is already in the build. But we may change things at any point. I am sharing this now because these are the things I am actively working on and that I truly, deeply want in the game. Chris, Justin and I are working super hard to make this a reality and make building a really rewarding experience.

Edited for clarity.

19 Likes

New 790 errors:

release-790 (x64)[M]
stonehearth/components/stacks/stacks_component.lua:9: attempt to index local ‘json’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
stonehearth/components/stacks/stacks_component.lua:9: in function <stonehearth/components/stacks/stacks_component.lua:7>

release-790 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

release-790 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: ‘stonehearth’ has no alias named ‘varanus_jerky’ in the manifest.
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'load_json’
radiant/modules/resources.lua:35: in function 'load_json’
radiant/modules/entities.lua:572: in function ‘get_entity_data’
…earth/services/server/shop/sellable_item_tracker.lua:23: in function ‘create_key_for_entity’
…arth/services/server/inventory/inventory_tracker.lua:49: in function 'add_item’
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.lua:529: in function 'add_item_tracker’
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.lua:93: in function '_pre_activate’
stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.lua:80: in function <stonehearth/services/server/inventory/inventory.lua:79>

release-790 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: ‘stonehearth’ has no alias named ‘plants:silkweed:bud’ in the manifest.
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/entities.lua:572: in function 'get_entity_data’
stonehearth/components/evolve/evolve_component.lua:8: in function <stonehearth/components/evolve/evolve_component.lua:7>

release-790 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: ‘stonehearth’ has no alias named ‘plants:silkweed:stem’ in the manifest.
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/entities.lua:572: in function 'get_entity_data’
stonehearth/components/evolve/evolve_component.lua:8: in function <stonehearth/components/evolve/evolve_component.lua:7>

release-790 (x64)[M]
…ervices/server/client_state/client_state_service.lua:49: attempt to index field ‘_client_states’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…ervices/server/client_state/client_state_service.lua:49: in function ‘get_client_state’
…ervices/server/client_state/client_state_service.lua:115: in function <…ervices/server/client_state/client_state_service.lua:114>

1 Like

r790 is meant to be the stable branch (A23, which doesn’t have all the new plants and meat). Not sure why it got on the unstable branch. :thinking:

2 Likes

Sorry, branch mixup! Will be fixed in 2 minutes…

4 Likes

Does that destroy the savegames?
Or can I continue playing?

New Patch:

release-789 (x64)[M]
…hearth/services/server/presence/presence_service.lua:40: attempt to index local ‘color’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
…hearth/services/server/presence/presence_service.lua:40: in function ‘get_color_integer’
…h/components/task_tracker/task_tracker_component.lua:65: in function ‘_setup_current_task’
…h/components/task_tracker/task_tracker_component.lua:53: in function ‘request_task’
…h/components/entity_forms/entity_forms_component.lua:508: in function ‘_create_tasks_for’
…h/components/entity_forms/entity_forms_component.lua:500: in function ‘_create_tasks’
…h/components/entity_forms/entity_forms_component.lua:494: in function ‘_start_placement_task’
…h/components/entity_forms/entity_forms_component.lua:479: in function ‘_place_item’
…h/components/entity_forms/entity_forms_component.lua:388: in function ‘place_item_on_ground’
…tonehearth/call_handlers/place_item_call_handler.lua:75: in function <…tonehearth/call_handlers/place_item_call_handler.lua:64>

I set a berry bush

cant collect from the Bushes flowers etc.

OK
an older savegame seems to be going

Does a new game work for you?
I didn’t play in the r790 before the branch was fixed, but playing a new game in r789 seems to work fine for me.

its ok ^.-

1 Like

Thank you. That togglable option sounds amazing!

Now will this extend to being able to place windows and doors in voxels hand drawn with the slab tool? Currently they only work in walls is why I ask.

5 Likes

Yes, I think specifically you can place windows and doors (fixtures) anywhere you want now. There are no limitations though Chris would have to verify.

10 Likes

is there an approximate estimate when we players can test this?
or is it too early to make an assessment?

1 Like

I have a few questions about what there is about the roads and I did not see in the construction of the stairs and the possibility to clean the inner walls (in the video).

1 Like

We are working on getting it to everyone asap, it will be a limited release at first with not all tools available. Timing TBD but for transparency it’s going to be one of the next major things to go to unstable.

5 Likes

Roads will have their own tool and be placeable much like they are now in the current builder. Stairs are implemented but just not shown in the video.

Not sure what you mean by clean the inner walls, do you mean remove? Edit?

1 Like