World Gen Variation ideas

Well, Radiant’s already promised us a glacier biome, complete with igloos etc (KS stretch goal). Oh, and they’ve also promised seasons, which will be good. So… hmm. I think I’ll start with some thoughts I had on better Minecraft biome generation:

1. Slap a 1-block bedrock floor down.
  2. Add a few bedrock “bumps” to this, so it doesn’t appear totally flat as you dig down.
  3. Generate biomes. Position sensibly - no tundras next to deserts etc.
  4. Generate basic landmasses, plus ores. Mountains, plains, oceans, etc. Some overlap with biome generation here - can’t very well pop a mountain range in an ocean biome after all.
  5. Add ravines. Biggest landscape scars first.
  6. Add strongholds. Shouldn’t intersect ravines.
  7. Add in mines. Shouldn’t intersect ravines or strongholds (well could, but Minecraft handles that poorly).
  8. Dungeons, caverns, liquid-filled caves: they’re up next.
  9. Drop terrain: check to see if any sand/gravel can fall. If so, drop it.
  10. Water: add it to relevant areas.
  11. Plant life: Add.
  12. Mobs: Add.

I think that doing the above will give you pretty good results as far as the look of the game goes (no? thoughts?). As for biomes though, I think we should really split it into two categories: biomes, and terrain features:

Biomes
Glacier: Ice, ice and more ice. ALL bodies of water freeze over in autumn, winter & spring.
Tundra: Covered in ice during winter, sometimes patches of permafrost all year round though.
Cool Temperate: Think UK & northern Europe - snow in winter, chilly autumn, wet, etc.
Warm Temperate: Think Italy or Spain. Snow in winter is rare. Ideal climate, especially for newbies.
Tropical: Hot most of the year round, never snows, very wet. Diseases a-plenty.
Savannah: Hot and dry, but full of life. Wildfires are a danger, as is water. Monsoons are fun.
Desert: Hot and dry and basically empty.
Ocean: Big, occasionally with islands dotted about. Storms are a real threat.

Terrain Features
Lonely mountain: All by itself, surrounded by much flatter land.
Ravine: Shortcut to the depths. Just, you know, climb carefully…
Riverlands: Big river splits into many smaller ones before reaching the sea, or perhaps many smaller ones join a big one. Very fertile.
Volcano: Doesn’t need to be the active kind. Yet…
Plains, mountain ranges: forests, rivers, lakes etc: Yeah, at this point I’m just listing really obvious stuff :smiley: .

Mind you… when I say “mountain ranges”, I really mean ranges, and not something I can scroll over in a few seconds. Honest-to-god mountain ranges, complete with hidden valleys, towering peaks and such would be far (far!) superior to regular game-style mountains you can cross in 30 seconds.

1 Like