Lua: Sources Of Information (Tutorials, Guides, Books, References, etc.)

Thankyou @ManOfRet I’ll look at that too. :smiley:

And @Inumel unfortunately I have never worked with Java in my life :crying_cat_face:

agreed… so shall it be done! :smile:

1 Like

Hehe , I used to try learning programming languages for fun, so I know a bit of C++, java and lua. Now I use lua a lot for the Minecraft mod ComputerCraft

Merits to whom merits belong… “The BitCave” is run by @bitassassin, I am just one of the guests there :wink:.

@Smokestacks If you want to learn a language “just” to prepare for Stonehearth, apart from Lua you might want to take a look into JavaScript (later jQuery, Ember.js and Handlebars). I would say Lua and JS are similar in terms of effort to learn, but JS has one advantage… you can use it :smiley:. What I mean is that you can start implementing JS in a website you might be already running and you have a nice learning experience, where Lua is a bit more theoretical until you start coding for another game.

1 Like

Thank you @voxel_pirate, these forums are just full of useful people :slight_smile: well as I’m still young I get a whole summer off to spend so I’ll have a look at both :wink:

The sucky thing for me is that my summer ends in about 10 days… Back to school for me!

However, I have been learning Lua, HTML, and CSS over the past couple of days… and look forward to continuing to learn.

@bitassassin is like a puff of smoke though:

I’m not always in the air you breathe,
But when I am I make you cough.

Or I’m just not around much because I’m moving in ten days.

@voxel_pirate Thanks for the shout-out mate.

Regards,
Bits

This is not really a source, but I don’t know if anyone has posted already about it in this forum (I don’t even remember where did I found it). It is an IDE that allows you to create games in Lua with your iPad. I find it really cool. Codea – iPad

1 Like

ok, now this… is… Sparta! cool!

2 Likes

I know Dawn of Fantasy has a editor that uses Lua for its modding, I haven’t gotten around to playing around with it at all though. So if any of you guys are thinking of modding heavy this might also be a good start. It gives you use to the games functions also - but I stop’d playing and decided not to mod for the game because of poor documentation (for the game itself, not Lua) this was at least half a year ago I believe so maybe they’ve got more docs now. Just throwing this out there for anyone that’s bought it on Steam and wanted to learn Lua that over looked it - that way you don’t have to learn in theory but would be able to apply Lua directly to a already built game.

1 Like