Ability to inspect and name pets?

Whenever I see a befriended pet animal, I keep wanting to inspect them the way I inspect a Stonehearthian by studying her information screen. (Every time, I almost click the “release” button thinking that’s it.) I think it would be great if there were a similar screen for a pet, perhaps with some stats if these ever become different (or even before that, similar to how now we just have “normal” as the trait for all our Stonehearthians) and a portrait or something. Also, allowing the player to rename the pets might make them care for the pets even more :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Yes, I think this is a planend feature. (Tom?) I don’t think there will be an info screen, though, because pets won’t have special traits so “It’s fair for players that don’t have them.”

1 Like

I didn’t really mean for there to be special traits there, but just hit points, speed, that sort of thing. Perhaps it could show how much they love or are nervous around the various Hearthstonians they’ve met, and that sort of fluff :slight_smile: and like I said, perhaps a portrait or some such. And anyway, when it’s about tamed pets like bunnies and raccoons and foxes, they could have traits and have it still be fair, as every player can get those.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s what I mean. I don’t think Radiant wants pets for anything other than a fluffy messes. Having hit points would possibly make them useful (In battle and such). Though don’t listen to me, I’m not a Stonehearth dev, but this is just from what I heard…

I don’t think their having hit points makes them useful, it just influences how quickly they die when hit. That doesn’t give them combat capabilities; at most, it allows them to tank damage, and that can be avoided by just not having them pull aggro. I know what you’re talking about, but I don’t think hit points and speed (rather basic characteristics I imagine they probably have already) is what Team Radiant was talking about in that regard.

3 Likes

Large towns could hire a massive amount of trappers to make a pet army, thus making a bunch of dummies enemies will go after instead of your hearthlings.

1 Like

This is something like a conversation @yshan and I had earlier this week. If we had a view so that you could see all your pets, where would you expect such a view?

3 Likes

If you want a screen for them, maybe in the Citizens Tab?

4 Likes

Yes, but that’s why I said it should be done such that they would not aggro enemies. And anyway, that would still be a scenario that involves pets that anybody can get, not just kickstarter backers, and I don’t think there was ever a problem with the notion that such pets could be of some use.

Oh! I was just thinking about a button on their selection bar where you can open their individual panel. But as for a dedicated view for pets generally, hm… probably as a little button somewhere in the citizen panel? Because they’re kind of honorary citizens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Then what’s the point of health?

So true. :smile:

2 Likes

so they can feel special…?

1 Like

Why not have a Tab/Button in the sub menu when you access the citizens list? ‘Pet List’, or something (click) brings up a small list of the animals.

ex-
Owned Pets:
(icon/Pic of Animal)
Name: Fox
Owner: (Whomever Befriended it)
Health: (I guess?)
Click on ‘Fox’ Can rename, Click on ‘icon/pic’ centers camera on pet in world

3 Likes

you know, thinking about it, this entire idea would fit well in the game. considering that there are going to be kick-starter exclusive pets, and people will most likely want to rename those pets.

kinda like @Soul suggested, why not just make a second tab in the citizen listing. then we could basically have the pets tab “exactly” like the citizen one. if you get what i mean.

also, for just regular pets (foxes, racoons, rabbits, etc.) what if they got auto named, like your hearthlings do, though this would take away the “naming” them fact.

and then the kickstarter pets could be named by the player, as they are supposed to be special. though that would make me sad, as i wouldnt get to rename pets…

3 Likes

Well, perhaps the Stonehearthians themselves could attack the pets when they go crazy, are particularly sadistic, or are ordered to do so by the player for some reason. There might also be other sources of damage in the game later on, e.g. fall damage, damage from drowning, etc. (Although HP will probably be phased out eventually.) Aside from all that, it could just be fluff. (As I said, I do think they already have health as is, although I couldn’t say for sure as I’m not a developer. Then why do I think so? I think I saw it in a stream at some point, most likely. Or I’m just hallucinating.)

Also I agree with the pet list idea suggested a few times above. I still think it would be good to have an individual window for each pet, though, similar to the one that exists now for citizens. It wouldn’t have to contain a lot of information, of course. It’s just that I’ve experienced a couple of times now my automatic inclination to open up such a window whenever I see a pet rabbit hopping around. I just want to be able to better channel my adoration.

4 Likes

well i dont know much about the code yet, but digging around, i didnt see anything about health for the rabbits. but then again, im just learning the ropes for the code and may have missed it.

1 Like

I like the second tab idea in the citizen panel. I also vote for a simple info panel when you click on the pet in the bar. As a person that loves fluffy animals, I immediately wanted to be able to click on my kickstarter kitten and see a panel for him/her. Just a portrait and the ability to rename them would’ve been nice – just to be able to interact with them in some way. Also, pets have health and will get hungry, and health decreases if you’re starving, so being able to see the health could be nice.

4 Likes

glad to hear a member of TR likes this idea :smile:

i forgot all about the fact that they can starve, as i generally release my pets so they dont eat all my food, now i feel kinda bad :laughing:

i can´t say it better :smiley:

YOU MONSTER! THEY LOVE YOU AND YOU SEND THEM IN THE FOREST TO THE WITCH :sob:

:wink:

1 Like

nope, i generally release them inside a building, becasue pets that are released inside buildings cant escape, so i still “have” the pets, i just dont have to provide them with food XD

also, thinking about it this bug is still present,

1 Like