Let's talk military!

Hush @Newf. You’re just jealous :wink: .

I dunno… I’m not sure you’ll really need that many soldiers to wipe out goblin villages etc if you play reasonably well:

1. Kill their army off.
  2. Don’t let the civilians swamp you or split your soldiers up too much.

Should work fine for the scale of Stonehearth - in this case I’m not sure the plans for DF translate all that well, given that DF is looking at making basically a super-detailed fantasy world simulator, so commanding battalions like that makes more sense.

Obviously we need combat to fit into the game smoothly, but that’s not even what I was talking about. When I say we don’t need to have a feel defined for the game in terms of combat I’m talking about WE people who backed and plan to play the game don’t need to have a feel defined RIGHT NOW. We don’t need to have a presupposition about what “feel” will work for combat because we don’t even have anything resembling a combat system.

Approaching it in a hand wavy “it just won’t work” like so many people do on the subject is uncreative.

Whole dimensions of this game are going to be compartmentalised. With resource management, and limited populations there is going to be a focus on particular aspects of development at a time, combat inclusive. Mining is going to play differently than farming, hunting is going to play differently from building. Combat is going to feel different from others.

Everyone remembers a sloppy implementation of unit control during an early alpha build, huh, I guess unit control doesn’t work at all and there’s no way to work that in. The new trapper is great because they thought of strong mechanics that fit the character: waiting. Zones are great for waiting, if it were a hunter class you might need to chase and kill animals, but it’s not, it’s a trapper, it sets traps, and waits. Combat units aren’t going to be waiting around all the time. Zones aren’t dynamic enough to manage combat offensively, and the AI won’t be smart enough to ever self manage something like a siege.

The age rating for stonehearth? They aren’t just building this game for children, the majority of the people backing it in the early stages are presumably old enough to work a credit card.

Whether or not “min/max players” feel pressured to do something is a thing they should work out on their own. Besides, having that complaint that the game gives you more ability to control and optimise doesn’t seem likely for those sorts of players.

If/when they make starvation a bigger threat, messing up farming and food gathering will mean death, intelligent strategic management of agricultural growth and production as your population grows will mean the difference between a lost game, a one where you thrive or one where you barely scrape by. There will be other ways to lose other than getting killed.

You seem to be stuck on this Starcraft 2 thing. You can pick the most generic control scheme in RTS games and assume the developers here are too uncreative to work anything in if you want, but it’s not a real argument and it doesn’t mean they couldn’t do it well.

My point about total war’s mechanics stand, whatever projection he chooses to make about them not scaling is his business. But having control at the multiple unit level and issuing commands to those groups would satisfy the need for control because of incompetent AI, and the Orchestrate and observe goal of the developers.

And yes, I am being offensive to babbies several times, but I’m going to be honest about the no-micro peasant’s age. I’m not going to pretend like I’m a super nice guy while being condescending, I’m going to be condescending and then explain openly that I’m being condescending.

—END OF OLD DISCUSSION THOUGHTS ON MECHANICS START HERE—

The way I picture the squad implementation is that in order to raise a force that can “attack” and hence be given direct orders, you need to have enough people in a squad that can justify the attack. This gets around the issue of one or 2 man squads because realistically who is going to be attacking with two guys?

Alternatively, tying into the optional route, you could have officers who are the rallying point for squads and squad formation, these guys could even be expensive to produce so it would be costly to over make them (maybe they need gold for officer badges or fine material for officer caps or some such). They can lead squads of any number of units, but as a gameplay mechanic these people are going to be super valuable, so rather than an artificial limiter of squad size we have a practical game-play based one.

The scales you give for a size of a squad seem reasonable.

I assume that defence can be handled alright on its own with zoning mechanics.

There can be units who do scouting as individuals explorers, journeymen, scouts, etc, but that can be implemented easily through zoning, (Set zone to “explore”, any scouts you own will automatically make their way cautiously, maybe even let them have a stealth option).

3 Likes

Wall of text, run for your lives!!!

Runs away!

I would prefer the one with squad captains. As in the early game if you have a military play style it would be quite hard to do anything if you need a larger squad to attack people.

A way to make the captains limited could be to let it be an upgrade to your soldier and let them a a bit weaker than their men this way you won’t just send them into battle as solo fighter.

When have I done that?

I get what you mean, but I think the point of confusion was more along the lines of assuming each compartmentalised thing played very differently to the rest - ie, mining, trapping, farming etc work via zones, but X works on a completely different principle and doesn’t seem to fit in.

Nice strawman.

Perhaps not for offensive combat, hence this thread.

Given the need to pay money, I suspect most everyone backing it at this stage is old enough to have one indeed :stuck_out_tongue: . But when it comes out on Steam or appears on the shelves in TESCO / Wal-Mart / whatever? Ah.

I’d say you misunderstand that kind of player then. Their goal is to be as efficient as possible in a game, be it WoW or Diablo 3 or EU4 or whatever it is. If spell X gives 0.1% more DPS than spell Y, spell Y better have some other compelling argument to use it or it won’t get used. If individual unit control gives X% greater chance of victory/no casualties/etc over another form of unit control - same issue.

Nice dodge. The point that you missed was that combat is an order of magnitude more serious than farming. A mediocre farming system will let you feed your hearthlings, and - whilst they might be unhappy or hungry, they’ll live. Mediocre control over combat however means dead hearthlings.

“I’m sorry, you wanted to build a mega-project but couldn’t handle that last goblin raid? Haha loser, game over.”

By all means let’s have players lose due to player decisions, but I really don’t think it’s a good idea to have players lose because their APM counts weren’t high enough.

I use it as a hopefully well-known example of classic RTS micro-management controls. Feel free to substitute it for any one of umpteen dozen games if you want.

The point is that your point wasn’t clear to him, that’s all.

Quite probably, hence the rest of that sentence in my previous post to you.

The point is that when you start the name-calling & such, it’s a bit much to then complain about others responding in (similar) kind :stuck_out_tongue: .

FWIW I also think you’re setting up a strawman argument again re “no micro” arguments. On this particular topic, only @Houten could be said to be anti-micro, with his “attack everything in here” zone thing. Just about everyone else has been talking about how to balance the whole overseer thing with more micro-management than that :stuck_out_tongue: .

Depends. I see squads as part of a larger army: say you have 20 guys in 2 squads of 10, or whatever, and each squad is separate from every other squad: giving Able Squad orders will not affect Baker Squad at all. In such a situation, a player may want to make 20 one-man squads, with squads 1-10 attacking instead of just Able Squad.

I mean, I can live with that, but it seems like a way of encouraging too fine a control over individual units. And yet, even I wouldn’t mind putting a champion or two into their own special squad :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe, but I feel that only opens up a bunch of other issues. I’ve been playing the Clockwork Empires early access, and if one of your overseers (read: squad leaders) dies, that squad is disbanded. Maybe Radiant decide that this is too harsh a punishment, and let you keep squads together - well okay, but now you’ve got squads without their officers. What happens if I loot the dead officer’s badge/cap & just re-use it? Can I make the squad, kick the officer out of it, and form another like that? Plenty of things that’ll need ironing out in such a model.

I believe there’s an adventurer class or something, which I could easily imagine being used to fulfil the scouting role. Perhaps borrow the stealth mechanics from Empire: Total War and the whole “hide in long grass / the trees” thing for a bit more realism?

Ok let’s get back to short messages (ok, this isn’t very short) and brainstorming.
I support the idea of squads but I can not imagine that defense zones or the actual patrolling system will be very effective once you start building walls and other stuff.
In the beginning these things will help a lot, but later you’ll have to be able to define specific routes and guard positions. Remember the devs said that the game will adapt to your choices, that means if you want to focus on farming just create some defense zones and your troops will do the rest.
If you declared war or have trouble with a titan it’ll be best to have more advanced tools to command you troops.
Any suggestions?
Would you like to control your soldiers directly or set priorities and watch them figure out what to do?

Wimp :smiley: !

Why not? Medieval castle walls etc were large enough to walk on top - so you put a patrol zone atop your walls etc and send a squad of archers to patrol it.

Meanwhile you might want a permanent guard zone at the town vault (keep those pirates/ninjas/politicians out!) and another guard zone at the drawbridge, in case anyone tries to sneak in (or out :stuck_out_tongue: ) whilst the gates are open. You could even do small guard zones atop castle towers to have them permanently manned (or permanently manned during the night etc) and so on.

[quote=“Spododo, post:47, topic:7988, full:true”]If you declared war or have trouble with a titan it’ll be best to have more advanced tools to command you troops.
Any suggestions?
Would you like to control your soldiers directly or set priorities and watch them figure out what to do?[/quote]
That’s kind of the point about this whole thread :stuck_out_tongue: . The “let’s talk zones” thread was another one :wink: .

So, leaving aside zones for now, how’d you like to see military units commanded (outside of zone stuff at least)?

I mentioned how defence can be handled adequately with zoning, if a goblin raid kills them, it’s not any fault of them having more control. Also I’ve never even suggested a microing scheme where APM matters. I’ve been using Total war’s system as my reference and in that game your ability to micro doesn’t matter nearly as much as your ability to plan and use units efficiently. If we’re complaining about strawmen then you, dorothy, tinman and lion should take yours to the wizard to get a new point.

If people get offended by me referring to an unnamed group of babbies, that tells me more about what colour bib they like using than about whether I was being a meanie.

And if you think me being sarcastic about a feature you didn’t like is a serious attempt at supporting a point, then you’re goofing mister. I was mocking the general idea, and then telling you why I think you’re wrong.

For mechanics on preserving the officer units you can make the HP of the individual units combine to make a “squad hp” where squad members start dying when the entire unit takes damage and you can make the officer the last one to die. That way, if they’re caught out alone they’re still dead, but getting a random kill on your officer unit won’t ruin your attack.

1 Like

The next comment that strays off topic to perpetuate the ridiculous pissing contest that is emerging will just be deleted, regardless of whether it is sandwiched between discussion or not.

Keep it clean, keep it mature, keep it respectful. Three simple things that aren’t too hard to follow.

Conveying your opinions is good, it generates discussion. Becoming entrenched in them and not allowing others to speak, or not listening to others is not good, and is intolerable.

7 Likes

ok, the discussions are very … elaborate in here, but i shall do my best to wade in and at least contribute my initial thoughts on handling military units… be gentle!

takes a deep breath

here’s my overly-simplistic take on the basic combat controls… we know the team (at least at one point) had intentions of providing a bit more management options for our combat units… here’s some specific developer quotes:

Will be be able to control your military units?
Not directly. Footmen already patrol your village. You’ll be able to set patrol paths and defend zones. You’ll be able to defend your town using static defenses and these troop options. Aka elaborate tower defense game but much more complex

Can you go into further detail about the combat class options that will be available?
For combat, you’ll be able to customize your army through class and gear. Your unit’s class will determine most of its abilities, and we’ll have all the archetypes represented: tank, melee nuker, ranged nuker, healer, etc.

Then each unit’s gear will determine some passive bonuses, and occasionally grant new abilities. For instance, you may decide that you want a strong defensive front line, so you promote 10 footmen and just 2 archers as the main damage dealers behind them, but you can choose to arm those footmen with swords, which do extra damage, or maces, which have a chance to stun on hit.
Of course, all of this is just an example of the kind of feel we’re going for. Exact mechanics are subject to change.

For combat units, where you do exert more control, we will have the pathing options you would expect in an RTS: waypoints, patrol, etc

with those references in mind, i was envisioning the already discussed waypoint system, when it came to combat mechanics (outside of setting zones in and around your settlements)… the player would be able to left-click and drag to select military units… once selected, the player could then right-click on the terrain and get a contextual menu, with the option to “set waypoint” at that location…

the units would essentially patrol a radius around the waypoint (perhaps a new flag that gets planted at the location) and would attack any “hostiles” within their immediate area… the units would also remain at the waypoint until directed elsewhere, or they decide they need to eat, rest, etc. at which point they would return to a settlement, perform that task, and then resume duties at the waypoint…

in essence this would function like a mini zone, but would be more “mobile”…

anyhoo, just my quick take on the idea… :smile:

2 Likes

To be sure, there’s always the possibility that the goblin raid is just too darn big or powerful no matter what, but I was thinking more of the fairer fights where deciding to pull Bob back etc can keep units (be they squads or single hearthlings) alive etc for considerably longer than less individual control options offer.

I was thinking pitchforks & torches :wink: . Anyway…

Two concerns with that:

1. What about setting waypoints on units or objects?
  2. What about selecting individual units and giving them orders?

The trouble is, the more I think about it, the more I think we need something more flexible than zones for offensive actions, but less flexible than, to use my example again, StarCraft 2. Not convinced that this does it for me… I mean, I know it’s based on those dev quotes, but I get the feeling they’ll have to change a bit to get it to work well :slight_smile: .

@Doc - Would it be fair to say this is a summary of our views etc?

1. Squad-based controls, eg like infantry in Dawn of War or blocks of troops in Total War games.
  2. Maximum size for squads, eg 8-10.

Points of difference:

1. Use of special class / rank / unit / etc as squad leader to make squads to avoid 1-man squads.

Uncertain points:

1. One thing I can’t recall being debated was how complex we want the squad commands to be. I came up with 3-4 controls based on DoW (attack/stop/use guard zone/retreat), and you mentioned ordering TW units to climb walls.

2. Would enemies be in squads by default too? Would I think reduce micro-management in that you’d give your handful of squads your orders, the AI would handle its handful of squads, and you wouldn’t really then need to keep controlling the battle to switch targets etc - makes it easier to go back & wall off your gate or whatever, etc.

Fair?

as in, selecting your unit(s) and then right-clicking on a goblin to set that unit as the waypoint… in order to have more direct control over what the unit(s) will attack?

given my use of the ()'s above, i suppose we could have the option to simply left-click, drag and select a single unit to be deployed to a waypoint… no?

Exactly that.

Or by single clicking to select the unit. My point is that, especially if you can mark units with waypoints… you’ve got a traditional RTS model with very direct control over your individual units.

1 Like

and therein lies the distinction that i think needs to be playtested/balanced…

if we had the option to precisely target a mob, that would be affording very direct control of a unit… a very meaningful distinction between directing units to a location (and then by extension having their AI attack a particular mob within their radius)…

looking forward to seeing how this all pans out! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s why I’d feel more comfortable with squad-level control. Granted, it may result in one-man squads being used, but I think it’ll work out better this way. Worst case scenario vs the AI, you send in your multiple one-man squads to attack the (larger) enemy squad and they pick their own targets in the squad I suppose.

1 Like

I’m imagining a Hearthling sneaking around with a pink panther animation, having a big ! appear over their head, and just scampering up the nearest tree.

3 Likes

You know what’s one thing I don’t believe we’ve really discussed much in this thread yet?

Siege Weapons.

Can’t you just imagine a little voxelized trebuchet rolling along the plains, hurling devastating chunks of boulders or flaming projectiles at your foes? I can. And I wholeheartedly approve of it.

So, three things I’m curious about for siege weapons, just to introduce some new thread discussion material:

1. Assembly/Transportation
Anyone who’s played Age of Empires II or III likely remember this–in order to use several of the types of siege weapons available to the player, it had to be prepared to fire. In II, the trebuchet alternated between a mobile component cart and a static firing platform, and in III, cannons and mortars were either hauled quickly by a horse wagon or team of soldiers. Both modes in III could move, but the deployed version moved much slower at the exchange for being able to fire.

If there are siege weapons to be in Stonehearth, should any of these systems be implemented? Since the game is primarily defensive in nature, players can simply deploy the weapons at their settlement–conquest, on the other hand, would require more planning. And would these weapons have to be manned or automatically come with an operation/transportation team when created?

2. Voxel customization
Since they’re bigger, manufactured devices, I was wondering if there’d be the possibility of being able to personalize elements of them–similar to how we’ll be able to make blueprints for houses and structures in the future. Some of these could be changing the material color/design, adding doodads, and customizing the design of the weapon (examples: replacing battering ram’s head with a big boxing glove, or make catapult rocks look like gold so you can “rain money” down on the enemies). Being able to put your personal flag on the weapon might also be neat to see.

3. Use as a transportation vehicle

Tying in partially to the manual/automatic manning mentioned in 1., should certain weapons also act as a means of transportation for units? This was a feature of the ram in Age of Empires II, which gave up to six units protection from harm and also provided a boost to the ram’s effectiveness. If we are eventually to have things like siege towers, I figure this would be a pretty critical function.

2 Likes

The points where we agree seem fine.

The points of disagreement and even the degree to which we would prefer being closer to TW or DOW really depends on how intelligent the developers can make the AI. The more intelligent the AI the less of our human intelligence we need to use on control.

So if the AI is smarter we can be closer to TW, if the AI is dumber, we’ll need more control.

The use of a unit to assign and control squads is really just a suggestion I have that could work. It fits in with promotions, it makes sense from a gameplay perspective, it seems that it would be easily balanced. There could be other ways to do that.

I think the general mechanics we have here with regards to squads is probably the most ideal way of doing combat (and I think the way the developers plan to do it), we’ll just need to see where the dial can be set between two styles of squad RTS combat.

I think the mechanics I mentioned with a squad leader officer or whatever could work.
Except in the case of siege equipment, the equipment itself is the “officer” as in, once you set your units to man the siege engine it becomes the squad. Individual units dying during work on the engine could give it debuffs in attack speed accuracy, etc.

The way transportation set up, movement, etc work really depends on the type of siege weapon it is. An onager could probably rolled around as its own unit and fired with minimal prep but a trebuchet would obviously take more.

I think the customisation aspect won’t work all that well honestly. I’m not programming the game so I can’t say for sure if there are creative ways to manage that in the engine, but the idea of moving the structures themselves seems like it would be very tricky, I imagine it would be constructed by a unit and then be a droppable item.

Although, they do plan to introduce water and boats eventually. This will be an interesting area where they can be creative. Depending on what comes first, boats or siege weapons will likely determine how the other is made. If boats are movable, buildable structures (oh god that would be wonderful but I’m skeptical it can be easily done) then to make siege weapons you only need new animations and a “land boat” is there for you. Weapons being added to it need to be handled separately I bet.

The customisation follows from that. If they have to make boats into units, then a separate customisable option for boats would be tricky.

What this really gets me excited for is the possibility of trains (either vanilla or modded).

2 Likes

There are two things I wonder about: Supply Lines and Meal.

Supply lines: making sure your army is prepared for the fights ahead; food, drink, ammo, equipment, reinforcements. Is this going to need to be accounted for? How can we feed an army that is away from our farms when workers carry only one piece of food each. For every soldier you would need several workers to keep them fed. Especially if it’s a multi-day fight. And lets not forget that those workers need to eat too. A unit that can carry multiple items at a time will need to happen. Mules?

Meal: Everyone stops and eats at noon, your soldiers didn’t get to eat at noon? Too bad, no food today. Are you going to need to rotate your army for an extended siege, so part of your army eats, while the other doesn’t, so that nobody goes without food for multiple days? Or will there be a different time to eat in the future?