Your Thoughts on the New SimCity?

I have it and it’s a lot of fun… the cities are just… too small… :\

I completely agree… I filled up my city’s area in about 10 minutes.

I kinda had an industry and oil city, but couldn’t get enough citizens and the cities around me became inactive =.=

Yes, as said a few times above, it’s just way to small.
Especially if you played other games like simcity 4, you are just gonna feel constricted. And linking a few cities together doesn’t really help to get that feel away, especially since you don’t have a shared budget, so each city has to work well. It’s just impossible to make big cities or metropoles.

There are a few new ideas that sound nice, but because of the small size of the maps it’s just not fun.

Take the above mentioned modular buildings, it sounds fun but when your city is reaching its maximum size, you just can’t find any place to put the extensions on without destroying other buildings, especially because the hardpoints are fixed by the game.

The “new” curved streets also sound nice on paper, but when playing, if you don’t want to squander the already meager room for your city, you will end up only using straight streets in a nice and efficient chequered pattern.

CoT is actually not worth it… at all. It costs way to much money for what is provided.

Yes it looks nice, but that’s about it. The problems that the glassbox engine and Simcity have are still there. The new buildings actually seem to just bring those problems even more to the forefront. The already small place you had for your cities is even more reduced, especially because you usually need placehoggers like the academy for the new buildings.

Same here. Played the original DOS version of simcity and expansions, but lost interest when you had to micro-manage and lay underground water pipes and such. I just bought the new version after watching this rather entertaining U-tube:

on a related note, whats the consensus on simcity 4 (from 2003)? its on sale at Steam (currently daily deal) for something like $4.99…

1 Like

It’s great.

I think it’s usually considered one of, if not the, best SimCity. For that price it’s worth it.

There’s a ton of mods for it as well - https://sites.google.com/site/sc4modds/ that has some of the best as far as I know.

Here’s the Reddit thread where that link came from, so you can check some of the discussion there:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/102cuf/awesome_essential_sc4_mods_updated/

1 Like

So, it seems that the general consensus is that Maxis sacrificed playability for graphics? Is that accurate?

Imo, pretty much yeah.

They !@#%$ up the glassbox engine and afaik they just can’t patch up the many errors the game has without being forced to rewrite most of it.

Okay, a few questions for people who bought the game: could you explain how the Origin account affects the SimCity Account (Is the Origin Account name your SimCity name?) and also, is this game DRM-free?

if you’re asking about the latest sim city, then no… it employs “always on drm”… at least, it used to, which caused a massive outpouring of emotion/angst among the gaming community…

I believe it is, yes (I’d be more definite but I haven’t got round to reinstalling it to my new laptop yet), and as for the DRM, I thought it was, but Steve’s said no. Hmm. I never actually tested it, I just thought it was.

So, can I control which device I download? Like, say, if I buy SimCity on one computer, can I install it on another?

As far as I know yes, as it’s all done through Origin - Origin is like Steam.

2 Likes

Yes I believe so, it’s just limited to being in only your Origin account, but I believe you can log in to it on multiple PCs.

It seems to me they took a lot of micromanagement out and also made some kickass 3D graphics. The older SimCity games had you doing things like laying water pipes and such. Good riddance to that. No terra-forming now, but most items you plop down, do that automatically.

No Maxis didn’t sacrifice playbility for graphics. Yes Sim City(SC5 or SC2013) does have its issues but the glass box engine is something new they wanted to try. You can’t fault them for wanting to try something new and expand upon SC. People tend to forget this is a new SC Engine and there are going to be problems with any new engine regardless of what it is. Sure there are issues but over all I like the game. I’ve gotten my moneys worth playing it. I also play with friends though and work in regions with them.

I figured this would be the best place to post this.

http://www.yogscast.com/video/l7PzdCtKxOZB/category/all/tag/all/section/latest

It’s about the game “Cities: Skyline”. What SimCity shoulld have been. Check it out.

I’ll give this post a few hours or the night before i make a new thread about this.

Being as I bought this on steam earlier today, I really hope that it doesn’t turn out like SimCity did. Else I’ll cry.

1 Like

From what i saw in the video by sips it’s already looking more promising. Being as you are, able to pay a smal sum to grow your city limits.

In the end the smal plot of land oyu had and the trafic killed the game. Not to mention the only online and bad servers witch they later fixed.