Wishlist: Quality-of-Life Features for Alpha 6

A quality-of-life feature I would suggest is a change to the pick berries behavior. Each basket picket should be immediately returned by the villager who picked it. The concept of leaving the berries in the forest to do some other task just doesn’t fit the “intrepid explorers out in the wilderness, alone and unprotected”.

10 Likes

Agreed. I think it’s okay for, say, farmed crops - better to harvest all the food, THEN carry it back to camp - but foraging and similar jobs should absolutely be done your way.

1 Like

Yes please. I can understand picking all the berries in a particular cluster before carrying some back, but it’s rather strange to see a bunch of workers going out and putting berries in baskets, then all of them leaving to go do something else while the berries are left behind.

1 Like

I agree with all your suggestions! Especially the dissemble or discard option! And yes, I think workers having more accountability to their actions would be great; instead of being wishy washy.

What I’d really like is for workers to clean up all the unused logs that are ditched on the roof. :frowning: Though if I think about it this could also be connected to the berry scenario. It’s just frustrating that if the worker gets hungry and drops the log down on the spot… and no one takes it back to the stockpile, it just sits on the roof and is visible even if you are in the no wall mode!!!

I had a problem like that, but you can actually build a ladder that accesses the roof, and they’ll eventually get around to getting the wood. You can even place furniture up there! I have a sunset viewing roof with park benches now :blush:

1 Like

You can also add ladders to a roof that hasn’t been built yet, and can also build them inside structures, in the event that you have a trapped worker with an oak log lying around inside.

Oh, and speaking of ladders, of course being able to build ladders down would be a great quality-of-life feature as well. That might be a little more difficult, though, and certainly would require a bit of thought as to what that would look like, so I can understand if we don’t get that in Alpha 5.

3 Likes

No I think we should get that in alpha 5, and here is why. Bailey bridges. Basically you construct a bridge on land and roll it over the span you want to cross. The villagers should construct a ladder on the flat part of the ground and lower it into place.

Boom, ladders that go down but were built with current technology.

Actually I can think of more interesting ways of doing that. Add rope to the game and have a villager toss enough wood off the cliff, repel down, and build the ladder up. The need for rope means that only more tech-ed up villages can go down. Minor tech but does add to the process needed to traverse down.

1 Like

i’m onboard with this idea, just to see the eventual “rappelling animation”… :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t know if you can currently do this, but I couldn’t figure out how. I want to be able to put beds and such back into the stockpile when I’m not using them. or atleast be able to destroy the item.

2 Likes

Can’t be done yet I’m afraid. TBH I don’t think it’s a big deal yet, but as settlements grow in the game and you move up the “tech” tree it’ll be more important.

This please, had an entire house fail to complete because one wall was too close to a bush.

This was the subject of my one and only topic post on these forums so far :smile:

1 Like

and kudos to you for seeing the “error” of your ways… :wink:

seconding your suggestions, by the way…

Since Alpha 5 was mainly bugfixes, I’ve edited the topic title.

Now with more 6!

2 Likes

We really need this. It’ll improve building a lot. I imagine it as this. You make a plan of a house, with the floor, walls, roof, and doodads. You can edit it and move the plan around until it is how you like it. I would also like it if you could “save” these structures and can put them into the game later or until you want them. Then, if you’re ready, you can start building it, preferably using a button in the GUI. :house_with_garden:

Good idea! :thumbsup:

Another good idea. They should work like the flowerpots that are used for the wild flowers currently. :sunflower:

This would be good too, but what would also be good would be an upgrade mechanic, like what @Teleros has said. :up:

First off, incredible so far.
I didn’t see a feature requests sticky so here goes, sorry if I missed it.
Tree planting +1 for fruit
Make building fences like building walls (in process?)
Beasts of burden

4 Likes

There’s already a request type thread going on.

Here: Wishlist: Quality-of-Life Features for Alpha 6

1 Like

this… would be interesting… :smile:

thanks @Kaz … merged!

2 Likes

Yep. And the items that get left on ladder rungs are rather annoying too.

This would be handy if you want to upgrade an individuals’ bed to comfy from mean.