Will we have achievements?

yeah I’m not a fan of steam achievements either, I would love It if the guys put this in the game, even if they had a poll for say 10 of them and we picked the achievement and the amusing name for it :smiley:

1 Like

i recall now from the Pizza Party stream, that when the question of “does SH have an end game”, the response was basically no… and then there was a generic achievement reference…

blast this network firewall! cant access twitch from the hospital! :angry:

@SteveAdamo it might be really personal but how come you at the hospital, whatever it may be I hope its good news :slight_smile: your in my boat ive a lovely flat but I only get any signal sat on my window ledge

you know, i should really clarify that more often… i work in the IT organization for a childrens hospital… :wink:

but thanks for the well wishes! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ohh thats a relief so it is good news, lol

My suggestion is in-game achivements. They would be similar to MC achivements in where you would have to do an action in order to get the achivements. I also think that it would be neat if the guys at RE (Tom and Tony) would add a new achivement to the game every month or so.

That is my suggestion. Thank you for your time and have a nice day! :smiley_cat:

While this is a good idea and I am sure it might be implemented I think that it won’t be making the first release or the beta.I mean it seems like a non gaming changing feature that while nice would be taking away their most valuable resource,time.But I am sure at some point that it will be implemented.

I’m on my phone and cant merge, but @steveadamo suggested this somewhere, I’ll look at merging later on today!

good call… i did indeed! :smile:

mergetastic!

2 Likes

Does it have to? I dunno, I think the real achievements are the ones that just, you know, happen, as oppose to the ones you’re told to grind, WoW-style.

I mean, take the multi-storey buildings being done ATM… now that’s an achievement. “Grind X of Y” or “Do this gimmick for the sake of it” isn’t IMHO.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be horribly against them, but I think the game doesn’t need them as well.

2 Likes

I like achievements. It’ll motivate players to achieve stuf. Plus, I like achievements because they’re nice.

1 Like

Ditto. I think so often they just come across as gimmicky things. I mean, having a useful record in WoW of when you killed Garrosh on 25-man heroic is good and useful, if only for guild recruitment purposes. But 90-odd percent of the achievements in that are basically pointless beyond giving you something else to grind.

Even then, I think they work better in WoW than a lot of other games. Take some of the examples listed here: “harvest 100 crops” isn’t an achievement, it’s (a) a standard game mechanic that you’ll do every game, and (b) not even a challenging game mechanic. I think if there are going to be achievements in Stonehearth, they should reward two things:

1. Good planning.
  2. Actual achievements.

For example, “capture an entire goblin raiding party” or “kill a titan without taking any damage to your hearthlings” - those might be worth bragging about and noting on your record. Everything I’ve seen so far in this thread just strikes me as not so much “achievements” as “mediocrities” or points on a checklist in a SH tutorial scenario.

4 Likes

man, I knew we had a thread on this… turns out, I started it ages ago! :smile:

however, as mine was more about the possibility of achievements, and this is a specific list of achievement types, I suppose a merge isn’t necessary… interesting ideas so far! :+1:

Do you think we should have achievements?

based on my comments… from my thread… yes… :smile:

to which I responded…

yes, of course… they really are (more often than not) just minor elements… no real gameplay effects…

but discovering them is also part of the fun… “hmm… what happens if i craft 100 silver shortswords?”

goofy, i know… but fun for those of us with pseudo OCD… :smiley:

He did actually. So there ya go.

Like i said before though, i’m ok with or without them, I’m just more in favor of them being actual achievements. But it’s ok if they are not. They are all over Diablo 3, so they don’t bother me when they pop up, but I don’t go hunting for them.

Achievement: a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill.

I gave an example or two of the kind of thing I prefer - your “tough as stone” one is another example of one that’d be a real achievement too. I’m still not convinced that Stonehearth needs any though.

IMHO something is wrong with a sandbox game like Stonehearth if you feel you need achievements to motivate you to build stuff…

Because I feel that, especially for a lot of games, they’re not really necessary at all. Stonehearth’s a sandbox game - get out there and do fun stuff, don’t go achievement hunting!

Really hard ones that come “naturally” I don’t mind - ie, everyone should want to kill a titan whilst taking no damage, but actually doing so will be very hard. On the other hand, really hard achievements that require lots of gimmicky loop-jumping… meh.

Had an idea for one if Radiant want to go my route and just have a single Steam achievement:

Play It Your Way: Start a game in Stonehearth. Congratulations, you’ve completed all our achievements - now go have fun!

:smiley:

3 Likes

Wow, don’t want this to be an argument? But you don’t have to say that achievements are bad. Stonehearth could get achievements, but they would have to be hard and fun to get, and don’t interrupt gameplay.

Nothing wrong with arguing over the point - if nothing else it’ll give @sdee and the rest of the devs a nice little list of pros and cons re achievements - just bear in mind I’m arguing against your position, not you personally.

3 Likes