Who's hyped?!?!?!

I tested the Win10 technical preview back in January and it was horrible

I can… only problem for you might be it’s in German :wink:
but to get to the point: it’s basically what @Soul said… you can disable the data collecting behavior during the installation

rough translation: Aus = off

• use Bing as search engine and transmit search history, location and other personal info
  • transmit browser history for website prediction (hell no!)
  • allow apps the use of your name and profile picture
  • share your ID for cross-app marketing
  • allow apps to use your location
  • transmit information to Microsoft Active Protection Service to improve Windows Defender

as for the tile and touchscreen focus of Win10… it sucks… it was a major point for me to not use Win8/8.1 in the first place and the reason why I deleted the Win10 from my virtual machine after looking at it for 10min

if your rig/workstation is not intended to have a touchscreen and you can’t switch the layout to a more desktop friendly design I’ll stay at Win7 even longer

1 Like

The irony. You can’t even change the theme.

@FX5

That’s not what I’m talking about. Read the sodding privacy policy and then come back.

Meh, now your being obstinate (don’t know why), but whatever. You want to hate it, it’s fine, Agree to disagree, Life will move on… Just think it’s silly to jump on ppl because they have a preference other than your own, and it doesn’t affect you in any way.

throws hands in the air That’s it! I’m reverting to DOS! If anybody needs me I’ll be dusting off my 286 and attempting to install Stonehearth

2 Likes

these are the kind of threads i’m tempted to close before they even start, it seems they always end badly…

so if everyone could just be nice to each other, even if some of you disagree with others tastes/preferences, that would be great :blush:

6 Likes

@8BitCrab :balloon:

@Soul, there’s a difference between “jumping on people because they have a preference other than your own” and “pointing out the fact that you haven’t read the privacy policy and that Microsoft is indeed spying on you” :wink:

@Boulderboy, yes! Sounds great! I’m going back to kernel 1.0 and try to setup Wine with Stonehearth there!

1 Like

Been running it since the first preview came out, love it, just now getting my laptop and desktop ready to leave the insider builds by going from 8.1 to 10. Can’t wait.

1 Like

We’re in an age where companies spying has become the norm. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Microsoft does indeed spy on things not mentioned in their settings. I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple or Google were spying on the same type of stuff. I really should switch to Linux someday, but… no official Stonehearth build yet. Or Unity editor. Or most software or games, really. Plus, I’m just so used to Windows (to the point where I can barely function on a Mac) so I’m probably gonna run a version of it for as long as I can.

Which brings me to my last point. Eww, tablets. Eww, laptops, what with their no mouse and uncentered keys. Eww, those new Windows machines that look like Mac monitors. I’d definitely prefer a powerful Linux desktop to a Windows any other crap.

But for right now I have a decent Windows computer and I may upgrade once Windows 10 gets more reviews and… things are looking pretty good.

Also, on an unrelated note, dual weilding and end islands look epic.

2 Likes

If anyone here thinks that Win10 is the start of Microsoft spying on you, then I think you need to rethink things, if Microsoft is interested in spying all they have to do is push an update with “Bug fixes” to all of their supported OSes and boom done, that is if they haven’t already. If you want to be safe from Microsoft’s and maybe Apple (this may be harder to tell) spying on you, jump over to GNU/Linux and be done with it, sure there’s a learning curve depending on what you want to do but you get what you install (If you go for something like ARCH, which is a true rolling release).

2 Likes

Unity is being ported as we speak, or else you can just use Godot which even is open-source :wink:

1 Like

Hyped no… keylogger, know what you own and store. Find your location. Share your passwords… Screenshot by Lightshot

Enjoy ur privacy

2 Likes

Oh god, its worst than I thought… Luckily I’m safe here on my open-source system :slight_smile:

I personally love windows 10, I just turned off alot of the stuff associated with “tracking” and “data collection”.

1 Like

For some reason, Windows 10 sees fit to ask me for administrator permission for everything.

That’s less of a hyperbole than it should be.

Anytime I add files, copy files, or change things around in Program Files manually (and it straight up won’t let me modify Program Files with a program), it asks me for permission, which I gave. I renamed a shortcut on my desktop three times and evert time it asked for administrator permission, which I gave, although I became more annoyed each time. It’s happened on many other occasions too, such as just when running programs.

Also, it insists on calling programs Apps, tried to get me to connect my computer with my Microsoft account for reasons like “in case you lose your device” [because I might accidentally misplace the large tower and monitor that have stayed on this one table since I got them], and it tried to offer features like “location tracking” and “automatically connecting to your friends’ networks”. I know Windows 10 is supposed to be more tablet-friendly, but it should realize that my computer is neither a laptop nor a tablet nor a phone so it doesn’t need to that stuff.

Other than that, Windows 10’s been working alright for me.

2 Likes

The “settings” don’t help. If you can call them settings. Most Windozers don’t care about their privacy, because if they do they wouldn’t be using Windows :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good thing there is such a strong focus on the windows phone compatibility, they’re almost as popular as the Zune was. None of the carriers in my area even offer windows phones unless you special order it (guess how much demand there is for that)

1 Like

Yer … just gonna go ahead and close this thread due to … well, pick your poison.

2 Likes

something i probably should have done right off the get go… :no_mouth:

2 Likes