Video Game Journalism

Hello good folks of Stonehearth. I have spoken to a few of you about the game and Kickstarter process before on the forum but this time come offering something new. I am one of the two editors of a gaming news website Just Push Start (www.justpushstart.com). We are often expanding and taking on new writers and I thought, especially seeing how passionate some gamers here are, I would mention the options.

This is basically how I myself got into game journalism a few years ago and it would be nice to think I have given others an equal chance. There are a few routes to go down keeping people up-to-date with news from your favourite games, writing opinion pieces (without too much bias), writing reviews and guides.

The different positions will enable you after time to get the chance to get some small to medium games for free to review when opportunities arise. The boring words it looks great on your CV and does help improve English and grammar blah blah… So if you would like to hear more about the opportunity or have any questions please just simply reply or PM me and we can go from there.

Rough Requirements (although can be worked around):

• It would help if you like video games (you’ll be writing about them…)
  • A decent level of English writing skills (mine are awful so don’t worry too much)
  • Have some spare time (if you are super busy you won’t have time)

I look forward to some replies/PMs :slight_smile:

P.S. If you know of anyone else that might like to just put them in contact.

Two quick questions:

1. Is there a problem about age? Would there be some kind of age limit you’d put in?

2. You mentioned you’d need not be super-busy, so kind of how much per week would you expect?

I can’t say I’m not interested. :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to write articles for a gaming blog, and am always interested in contributing to these sorts of things!

This would obviously be a big thing, how much time do you expect it to take up? I am busy, but I am also wasteful with my time so a re jiggling here and there is likely to free up a fair few hours :slight_smile:

1. A nice simple one to answer. There is no age limit or restriction, you can’t be to old or to young to enjoy video games.

2. It is rather flexible depending on the time you have available. It won’t be a you must do X or Y hours a week as everyone has other commitments to work around. Some of the current staff post one or two things a day, other post more and some post something every other day. Different things take different lengths of time. Articles/guides will take considerably longer to write than news posts. As with many things the more you put in the more you’ll get out of it at the end of the day.

Would I get to pick what games I write about or is there a list of games that need someone to write about?

It is normally best if writers post about games they like and want to play. However certain games do need to be covered more than others. We do cover some indie games I myself have posted a few things about Stonehearth but normally main stream games get views. It’s a balancing act that I and the other editor try to maintain.

As tempting as it is, I really should be feeding hours into my piano and music, but I wish you luck with it anyway! :slight_smile:

Thanks :smiley: I wish you luck with the piano playing music has never been one of my strengths past listening.