The Stonehearth Graphics Test Thread

thanks… i logged a report for this issue here

thanks… feel free to add a “like” or any supplemental information to this report

1 Like

!readPending_
under Assertion Failure

2 Ghz dual core AMD
8 GB RAM
Windows 8.1
1680x1050 res
ATI Radeon 3400

I just get a black screen and then it shuts off after error. I do see the custom cursor though (which looks nice). I should point out that I am running an out dated graphics driver due to the Windows 8 driver for the integrated graphics chip has no OpenGL support but, I did go ahead and test with the new as well and no difference was made.

I am running as Administrator and I have tried compatibility mode.

Game Runs much better, Cpu usage went down to about 30% from 80-90%, from the previous test.

As mentioned before shadows are messed up, very saw like from certain angles, also notices weird shadows (I believe)
on the characters arms. They only showed on certain angles of the character. Did not really notice those anywhere else.

I5 3570k
gtx 670
8gb ram
windows 7

I also enabled ssao blur and ssao. Set msaa to 16 samples and shadow resolution to 4096. V sync off.
Retried with original setting but weird shadows remained on character (maybe even worse in a way).

The second graphics test crashed while scrolling through the world.

Naam van toepassing met fout: Stonehearth.exe, versie: 0.1.0.55, tijdstempel: 0x529e37d4
Naam van module met fout: KERNELBASE.dll, versie: 6.1.7601.18229, tijdstempel: 0x51fb1116
Uitzonderingscode: 0x80000003
Foutoffset: 0x00013219
Id van proces met fout: 0x1ae4
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01cef0ce2a469eb8
Pad naar toepassing met fout: C:\Program Files (x86)\Stonehearth\Stonehearth.exe
Pad naar module met fout: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Rapport-id: c621f27b-5cc1-11e3-ab36-efbf1924ce7e

Sorry for the log not being in english.

The Z-fighting does not seem to be resolved completely. I had multiple instances of trees clipping together with one or more sides and they had the bug.
Here is the link to the image: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

All I get is a black screen as follows:

The text is there, and highlights appear around bushes and such. I can move the camera around, as the highlights change position when I press and hold the right mouse button.

2 Likes

@DruidTC could you open a thread in the bug-report category and add some details? Seems like you are the second one with this bug… but no details yet if it can be reproduced, etc.

2 Likes

thanks for submitting the bug report, and thanks as well for using the requested format… :+1:

I found out a post of mine wasn’t in the right place, stil… here it is:.

I haven’t found any major bugs on my system so far (except the mentioned z-fighting trees, overlap of the load bar and maybe tab = close but haven’t tried that yet)

But as some have mentioned above as well, my FPS is pretty low compared to the first test, now ofcourse this is understandable, with the bigger terrain and such! But is this something that is here to stay? Or is it still because of some raw coding that needs to be refined for speed? (or you could alter your viewing distance ofcourse)

Let me guess, you have FPS which are around 60, right? I have the impression that the FPS are capped this time.

To be completely fair, I’m guessing it’s lower than that.
I haven’t used a program or anything to see what the fps was at the first test and this one… But the decrease in FPS is actually visible…

good catch… its possible that there may still be terrain optimizations, or optimizations in general, that are still being applied… its also possible that the graphics test might not be capitalizing on available optimizations…

or, i could just be trying to say optimizations as many times as possible in one post…

2 Likes

Actually I hope this isn’t fixed. I want to be able to scroll through trees. The main reason being fighting in dense trees. You don’t want to have to reposition your camera everytime you encounter a tree.

Bit more Z-fighting where tree intersects with mountain terrain - Example screenshot

Most clouds are still quite fast moving, fine for just watching but might get distracting for gameplay

CPU levels dropped from 90-95% down to 15-20% on i5-2500k (base clocked)
Memory levels nice and low still - added less than 200MB of ram use
Graphics levels ~30% during windowed mode (75% of screen) upto ~55% full screen, down from 80-90% on windowed mode on test 1 - AMD 7850

Otherwise running nice and stable
CPU: i5-2500k
Graphics: AMD 9850
Memory: 16GB @ 1333

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback… i tossed a duplicate of your post in the associated bug report

feel free to “like” the report, and/or add any other information you can provide there…

1 Like

How are you seeing the FPS? I didn’t see any option for it, but iirc it was supposed to show it right? Also, the 2nd test didn’t ask me if I wanted to send the data, did it do that automatically this time round?

You don’t see them unless you have a tool installed like FRAPS which shows you the FPS.

Yes. In the news to the download it is mentioned that the program is sending data as the first test did. Seems like the option was removed:

“Just as a reminder, we are still, with your permission, collecting anonymous crash and performance-related data…”

1 Like

I have done roughly 30 minutes of active investigation (plus 30min of playing around with my son who wanted us to play it…). Recorded a short video of my impressions.

The biggest issue I had was that the framerate seems to jump between 30 and 60 fps if I have v-sync turned on. If I change the setting I will still be around 60fps most of the time, sometimes higher and sometimes lower, but it never locks at 30fps as it does with v-sync on. I can see it with Fraps overlay fps monitor. Sometimes I can switch between 30 and 60 just by zooming one step out and in.

some Z-fighting on trees for example, nothing new. Jagged shadows, sometimes really visible jagged in certain angles. Nothing new on those though. I’m not happy with the camera and its movement, I would actually prefer to have the zoom focus point always in the middle, and move around the screen with keyboard or mouse combo. But camera implementation is still early, I know that.

Regarding camera within objects I personally prefer it to make objects completely invisible if camera is inside them. Alternatives are as it is today with only certain parts invisible, or camera automatically moves in front of the object, but I know from certain games that it can be really annoying if it occurs to often.

Here is a short video with explanations and details:

edit: I wasn’t sure if v2 bugs should go in a new thread or a separate for each report. Feel free to move in that case :wink:

1 Like

I have a 7850 2 GB and i5 3470 and only get 12 fps. 1600x900 res.

I’m afraid I had the same issue as before with this new graphics test despite my hopes. The program installs fine, then when I try to execute the program a window pops up, moves slightly to the left, and then closes without giving any error report either when the window closes or in the Stonehearth folder.

My specs again:
CPU: Intel Core i3-2310M @ 2.10 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Res: 1366x728
GPU: Radeon HD 6490M + Intel HD Graphics

I will be trying again on the other computer to see if this new test has fixed the more common error it had.

The one problem i have, albeit a small one, is that tree leaves are merging and creating a lovely glitch graphic. Other than that, all seems to be going very well.