The Miner v1.3.12

Greetings my fellow hearthkings, today I bring before you the humble, yet very useful Miner.

Dropbox Link
Steam Upload
GitHub Repo

The more your Miners mine, the better they get at it. I have a desert settlement megaproject, which involves digging a whole bunch of land around a small lake, to make it a water-filled mountain. But it was taking FOREEEVERRR! So I made this class to speed things up.

Stonehearth appears to have a Miner class within its files, as well, but all I used from it was the miner icon itself. Itā€™s been sitting there for more than a few years now, untouched. I have no idea when Team Radiant will get around to it, so until they do, this will have to suffice.

Features

• Pickaxe created by Blacksmith at level 1 to promote
  • Mines faster than regular hearthlings, with further speed increases at levels 3 and 6
  • 3 different pickaxes to craft that impact mining efficiency
  • Headlamp to light the dreary underground
  • Backpack expands and shows inventory
  • Levelling progression includes speed upgrades as well - perfect for hauling when there are no mining tasks
  • Cannot build, so you still need workers for that
  • Awesome outfit by @Yangzhoui
  • ŠŸŠµŃ€ŠµŠ²Š¾Š“ ŠæŠ¾ руссŠŗŠø / Russian language support

Known issues

• Hearthling portrait sometimes flashes when the miner is mining.
  • This mod overrides mining_task_group.lua. This could be an issue if used with another mod that overrides the same file\s.
  • The backpack does not functionally expand the hearthlingā€™s inventory, although it still renders the items in it.

All feedback is appreciated. May your stone be ever fertile.

Changelog (most recent at bottom)
  • 1.0.0: Initial release
  • 1.0.1: Fixed promotion issue, fixed SMOD packaging
  • 1.0.2: Slowed XP gain, miners only take out pickaxes when there is a mining assignment
  • 1.1.0 Added 3 craftable pickaxes, fixed miners prioritizing other tasks over mining when it is available
  • 1.2.0 Added XP gain from mining ore veins, slightly slowed XP gain to compensate, added headlamp, added new outfit
  • 1.2.1 Miners now only turn on lights when mining
  • 1.2.2 Fixed combat engine error issue
  • 1.2.3 Fixed engine error when loading while the miner is mining
  • 1.3.0 Added loadout, added visible backpack
  • 1.3.1 Override hotfix
  • 1.3.2 Fixed early level miners not having working backpack
  • 1.3.3 Fixed minor JSON issue, cleaned up logs, replaced unnecessary override with mixinto, made the backpack a little smaller graphically
  • 1.3.4 Added possible fix for over-filled inventory
  • 1.3.5 Adjusted models to work with latest game optimization
  • 1.3.6 Fixed issue with the Backpack creating ā€œghost itemsā€ in the playerā€™s inventory
  • 1.3.7 Disabled loadouts for now, fixed some pickaxes not stockpiling
  • 1.3.8 Fixed pickaxe iconic size, steel pick broken picture, misc fixes
  • 1.3.9 Fixed issue due to conversion of material tags from strings to tables
  • 1.3.10 Added checking if the tags variable is a string or a table before checking for ore
  • 1.3.11 Fixed else if -> elseif, letā€™s not tell anyone I did that
  • 1.3.12 Added compatibility up to level 8

Credits
Thank you to @max99x for providing invaluable documentation on the AI system, as well as being an excellent unwilling rubber ducky. Thank you to @BrunoSupremo for his Archipelago mod, the largest up-to-date mod I am aware of, that I used as a reference. Special mention to @RepeatPan for all his past help and encouragement. And thank you of course Team Radiant for this fantastic game. Iā€™ve used the trader outfit models, as well as some lua files, from the base game.

25 Likes

Ha, that is so cool! Needs a cool miner hat. :construction_worker_man:

Nah, that is probably just a relic class from old times.

4 Likes

Yeah, it looks like a placeholder more than anything. Iā€™m just pointing it out in observance with the spoiler code rule.

3 Likes

mod coming up with Invalid Manifest

How did you install the mod? Steam or dropbox?

dropbox and insert into mods folder

Okay, Iā€™ll have a look at the smod. Could you try installing it via steam in the meantime? If not, and if I find something wrong with the smod, Iā€™ll update it here and let you know in an hour or so.

steam works fine

1 Like

I appreciate you letting me know. Dropbox smod should now work fine, too.

Loving this mod. Iā€™m currently trying a dwarf-like city inside a mountain and my 2 miners are really making a huge difference. I did come across a bug though where I tried to change my miner into another class (herbalist), and he wouldnā€™t promote, he would go get the item, and go through the animation but then would sit idle until I teleported him. I tried a second time (and had to make a 2nd herbalist stick) and the same thing happened again. I saved and reloaded, and my guy was called a herbalist in game, but didnā€™t have access to the workshop and when I went to swap classes again it said miner in that section.
This was on the steam workshop mod.

Thanks for the mod though, with the exception of that bug itā€™s been a really positive experience so far :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback and the fantastic bug report. I was able to reproduce the issue, and I am fixing it as we speak. Iā€™d love to see a screenie of your dwarf-city once youā€™re done!

E: Bugfix uploaded. Miners now always have their picks out. Working on getting them to only have them when theyā€™re running towards a mining assignment. Or should their picks just always stay hidden?

E2: If your Hearthlings are still bugged, try unsubscribing and resubscribing to the mod.

2 Likes

Really loving this mod. thought I would show a picture to illustrate the difference.
the area to the left of the red circle took several workers a couple of weeks to do.
the miner did all the area in the red circle is less than two days.
without begging LOL

6 Likes

Thanks, I really enjoy it because then I donā€™t have to build a wall, and since farms work underground you can be 100% sustainable while being in the safety of your mountain, with only 1 entry point, and practically unlimited space. Since you donā€™t need builders when underground because you just mine rooms and stuff, you can just turn your workers into miners.

The only other thing that I forgot to mention, but itā€™s pretty minor (get it?). The miner often prioritizes other jobs such as restocking items or putting up decorations over mining. So to get them to mine I will often have to disable those other jobs.

But I love this mod and Iā€™ll be using it for a while I think.

2 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™ll check out the priority issue as well.

E: Added 1.0.2 patch. Slowed XP gain. Miner picks are no longer always visible, but only when there is a mining assignment. Miners are eager to start mining, so theyā€™ll take out their tool even as theyā€™re running to the mining zone, and stow it when they are done. Still researching priority issue.

E2: Fixed priority issue, added 3 craftable pickaxes.

4 Likes

New outfit by @Yangzhoui! New headlamp at Level 4! A little more XP when mining a vein, XP gain slowed slightly to compensate.

e: miners only turn on lamps when mining.

7 Likes

If anyone runs into bugs or other issues while playing, please post the bug and the save here. Iā€™m getting some issue reports on steam, but having trouble replicating.

e: Fixed combat engine error issue

e2: Fixed engine error when loading while the miner is mining

1 Like

Like this mod allot , thanks for the work. The only things that happened strange for me was that my miner was stuck in combat. No mobs around he just stood there and starved. His health fell to zero and he still did not die. I just destroyed him and created another. The other miner thing is whenever they drop a pick to upgrade to the next one, none of the harthlings will pick it up and put it in storage.

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. I fixed a couple of bugs today, if youā€™re using a SMOD version, make sure you grab the most recent SMOD from the top post (the Dropbox link). The combat bug fix is also included. Let me know if you keep running into this problem.

3 Likes

Using the steam version. Thanks.

Once better optimisation hits Iā€™ll be using this mod for sure! A dedicated miner will be essential in a larger town!

I just hope heā€™s not too OPā€¦ but then again I suppose one of each other class more or less caters to the players needs anyway.

2 Likes