The Miner v1.3.12

I’ve been playing him in my own worlds for a while. A fully levelled up miner can easily do the job of 5 hearthlings when it comes to mining; increase that to 10 if you manage to get him the highest level pickaxe. He is very powerful for digging, but I don’t necessarily think he’s overpowered. It takes him quite a long time to level up, and because his promotion talisman is crafted by the blacksmith, in most games it will take you a while to even get to the point where you can train him. I intended him as an advanced class all along, the thinking being that until you get to a large, developed town, the regular workers are more than enough to fulfill all your mining needs. It is once you’ve essentially done everything you can with regular workers, once you’ve set up all your crafting chains and have a large enough population to support a massive inventory that the Miner produces, is when you should really be using him.

In retrospect, the Miner has two main purposes: one is fast mining, but the other, and arguably more important one, is freeing up worker hearthlings to do things like building, or picking up after the miner, so your mine is clean and usable a lot faster than with regular workers. I’m finding it a lot easier to focus my workers on things when I have a dedicated mining class. All we need now is a dedicated hauling class OR dedicated builder class, and I think lategame will become a lot easier and more fun to develop.

I hope you enjoy the mod when the optimizations roll about, thanks for looking.

6 Likes

That would fit very well into this mod together with the miner in my opinion Moai! An advanced tier of the workers? I guess it is a matter if you see the time worth investing? But your mod here is one of the most practical out there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The thing with making new classes is I also have to weigh it against what Radiant already has in their game folders. An advanced builder is already kind of in the game, they have an Architect class. He’s got a filled out JSON file, armor, buffs all ready to go… it looks like Radiant is basically just waiting to start writing functionality for him when they have time.

The Miner was also in the game, as noted in my OP. Unlike the Architect, however, the only things in the Miner folder were an image and a stub of a JSON file, so it appeared that Radiant weren’t in any hurry to code the guy up, and I felt safer making that mod.

My next mod is another profession class, but it’s not something that Radiant made plans for ever having, to my knowledge. But yes, I do aim for practicality with these.

5 Likes

speaking about a dedicated hauler, a hauler with a wheelbarrow/tuktuk :stuck_out_tongue:?
(not that most of my fighters arent dedicated haulers when they arent fighting, patrolling is a waste of time XD)

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. I think you could theoretically adapt Radiant’s code for recovering downed hearthlings for this, except replacing the hearthling with a wheelbarrow. Of course, again: you’ll need to write a component for the wheelbarrow, a set of actions for the hauler to make sure he uses the wheelbarrow, making sure he never abandons it / loses it, or handling the situation if he does, making sure he drops the wheelbarrow and runs if he is attacked…

It’s all simple ideas until you start coding them. I encourage you to make and release a simple mod using one of your ideas. It’s both harder and easier than you might imagine.

3 Likes

yeah i know, ive modded some other games in the past (most extensively the original company of heroes, but also some Xcom2) so i know it can be a pain in the …turnip… though personally i’d have gone the route of “give them more inventory space, and literally weld the wheelbarrow to their clothing in .qb, dont give it collision”

cheap shortcut? yes. doable? more yes.

1 Like

That is basically what I did with the Miner. I asked my modeller to give miners a nice big bag on the back, and increased the inventory space. Also, he gets speed upgrades. If he’s not mining, he does a great job of hauling.

I want to see if I can adapt radiant’s technology of those supply and finished work containers, that have the little versions of blocks they contain on them, and put those into my miner’s backpack. God that’d just be the most adorable thing ever. If that doesn’t work, I’m doing basically what you said – I just have multiple qb files that I switch depending on what I need. It’s what I do with the headlamp.

That said, just adding the headlamp meant I had to make six versions of the miner’s costume, rather than the usual two (male/female, lamp on male/female, lamp off male/female). If I have to add an empty/full backpack to this, that adds up to freaking 12 QB files. Oof.

So yeah, from my experience, it looks like using entire different QB files is kind of a dead end, you want to separate your components as much as possible. More headache now means less headache later sort of thing.

3 Likes

well if you do manage to figure out how the supply thing works, that would be awsome. if he’s not mining he can be hauling turnips and things in that basked of his/hers (that… is… AWSOME)

I’d like a dedicated hauler, if I have one of those, a dedicated miner and builder then I can focus more on getting the other classes and make the rest military focused.

2 Likes

Well you can just turn off job on a regular worker and leave haul checked. I believe that would do it. You could uncheck haul for your builder, but generally they won’t haul if they have a build job anyway.

2 Likes

Of course, but a dedicated haul class will be much faster and have more carry space

1 Like

I think a dedicated hauling class is not the way to go. Would be cool I think to have a construct of some kind, maybe a gollum. Not super fast but can carry a ton of ore back from the mine at once.

1 Like

@Jim_Gibson in that case I’d wait a bit till they have the bunnies in, you could probably abuse the systems needed to gain a bunny to gain a member of another custom race somehow, that could be a golem.
(mechanicly a heartling that can’t gain a class, but doesn’t eat sleep etc, all it does is haul and harvest?, and carry a ton? )

1 Like

Yep, was exactly what I was thinking.

Update
Holy cow you can see what the H’lings are carrying now

New loadout inspired by tim1’s Specialized Loadouts, specifically Metal Masters. Thanks @tim1 for permission to use Metal Masters, and thank you @Kittyodoom for pointing me to the mod in the first place.

Misc bug fixes and all that.

e: override hotfix
e2: fixed early level miners not having working backpack

10 Likes

Awesome @Moai! A feature i absolutely love, is the headlamp, it was such a cool surprice when my miner leveled up and suddenly ran around lighting up his path! Great work on this and thank you for your effort :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is so amazing. Every time my miner ran by I’d pause the game to see if there was anything in his pack. Figured he was leavin’ the haulin’ to other folks, but now we can actually see it. Great job!!

2 Likes

So next a lumberjack?? Please?? :smiley:

3 Likes

you know, a trapper could actually be turned into a “woodsman” and fold both functions into one person.

1 Like

Minor update: fixed minor JSON issue, cleaned up logs, replaced unnecessary override with mixinto, made the backpack a little smaller graphically

e: Minor update 2, added possible fix for over-filled hearthling inventory

2 Likes