Swamp Biome + Firefly Clan + Beast Tamer šŸ¾

I use too many mods for an additional profession?screenshot 2017_08_24__19_47_36

1 Like

No, the goblins arenā€™t finished yet, remember? Thereā€™s only that one job for them.

3 Likes

@EregionChannel At the moment, it is primarely the biome that is released for testing. The kingdom will come at a later date and they will live in this biome.
We will let you know when there is enough work done on the firefly clan, that they can be tested for feedback :slight_smile:

But what do you guys think about the swamp? have any of you tried it out with the original kingdoms in the game yet? And how do they perform in this enviroment? :merry:

4 Likes

:heart_eyes: :drooling_face:

1 Like

Tried it with ascendancy. To be honest, kinda feels like Temperate but looks a lot cooler. Not seen any major difference so far.

1 Like

Thank you had not seen the whole post sorry for the inconvenience, very well produced map awaiting the finalization of it, very show

1 Like

Mod Updated

For Alpha 22!
Small bug fix.

Download:
:up: At the first post. :up:

Changes:

Bug fixes:

• Soldiers in the dry land were patrolling super fast. Fixed.

I hope you all like it and have fun!

7 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing. I hope the base game gets this eventually (at least when they have to be submerged for too long, I could understand them liking pools of the clearer water in other biomes.)

I ran across this error the first time I started up a game using the swamp biome. I couldnā€™t move the camera at all, couldnā€™t zoom out or in. And there were those weird grey bars across the screen.

Iā€™m not good with figuring out this stuff so I have no idea what happened, sorry. @BrunoSupremo

Otherwise, I love the looks of the swamp. At least so far. :jubilant:

It looks like you camera is inside the mountain. Try moving out of it with WASD.

LOL I just found that out myself. Now I feel really silly. :slight_smile: I came back to fix my post. Thanks Bruno.

A piece of criticism: looking at the screenshots, seeing all those swirl trees forming forests looks a bit jarring. When @Fornjotr first showed off the swirl tree I thought it looked awesome, but that was as a lone model. As a large forest, having all those ā€˜chunkyā€™ voxel swirls breaks up the forest and makes it seem very artificial.

The Bogus trees donā€™t have the same effect ā€“ they blend very comfortably into a forest canopy.

So, Iā€™m thinking that the issue for me is how prominent the swirls are. It may be worth a pass to ā€œsoftenā€ those swirls and see how it looks. Of course this is all personal opinion, I just think that it may look nicer if the swirl trees stuck out less and blended into a smoother canopy more, with more subtle swirl patterns rather than a blocky, obvious spiral right in the focal point.

Food for thought :slight_smile: Of course, thereā€™s every chance that most others absolutely love the current effect too, like I said itā€™s all personal opinion hahah.

1 Like

Great feedback @YetiChow, thank you :merry:
It would be interesting to hear what other players think of this? Personally i like the bogus tree best as well, but the swirltree has a certain ā€œmagicalā€ vibe, that is intended to tell a story of a mystical setting deep in the swamp. Maybe the ā€œswirlā€ could get an overhaul to achieve both the natural and the magical feelingā€¦ Ill at the very least put it down on my notesheet :wink:

1 Like

I like the swirly tree in my opinion, it felt unique :smiley:. It started with a bunch of models, then it a became a huge project that incorporates the models into a biome together with its own kingdom. But I agree that the swirly tree can get a overhaul :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Hey @Fornjotr, When I think swamp I think ferns, so maybe your fern model from a while back could look good in this biome. Just a thought.

1 Like

Way ahead of your thought here :slight_smile: The fern is one of the assets in the biome :sunny:

2 Likes

I like the swirly trees, too. Iā€™d want to see a color-muted version first, before having them all replaced, though, please. :merry: The ones there are fine so far. To me it is the increased density of the trees that is obvious, but expected.

1 Like

I think ferns should be herbs, not fiber sources. It would make sense to provide swamp plants as crops, especially if goblin kingdom is planned.

Mushrooms donā€™t look very Stonehearth-ish, the model is not simplified enough.

1 Like

I agree, the swirl is really cool and I like the concept. I think itā€™s the ā€œhardnessā€ of the current swirl which I find jarring.

Aside from just softening it (e.g. toning down the highlight, or stretching it to cover more of the tree so that itā€™s not as ā€œtightā€), perhaps try adding some secondary swirls coming off it? Iā€™m thinking of how natural formations usually have a repeating/concentric pattern, like those photos of Fibbonaci sequences and fractal patterns found in plants.

I think that a ā€œlazyā€, softly spiralling tree gives more of the placid, magical effect youā€™re going for, whereas that tight spiral looksā€¦ stressed? Sharp? Itā€™s hard to describe, but from a visual design perspective Iā€™d say the issue is that itā€™s so glaringly obvious that itā€™s all I can pay attention to. That gives the mood/feel of the model some of those tight, stressed connotations, rather than the kind of peaceful and lazy swaying vibe Iā€™d expect from a magical swamp.

Perhaps @Allie could explain it better, or offer some expertise? Either way I think sheā€™d like to see this mod and these cool models hahah :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey Bruno. Love the biome but I did get an error and I think it was from the mushrooms.

release-761 (x64)[M]
...rth/components/consumption/consumption_component.lua:306: assertion failed: Trying to eat a piece of food that has no entity data.
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	radiant/modules/common.lua:481: in function 'assert'
	...rth/components/consumption/consumption_component.lua:306: in function '_get_quality'
	...rth/components/consumption/consumption_component.lua:81: in function 'consume_calories'
	stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_item_action.lua:35: in function <stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_item_action.lua:33>
	[C]: ?
	[C]: in function 'execute'
	stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_carrying_action.lua:14: in function <stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_carrying_action.lua:8>
	[C]: in function 'run'
	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:607: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:591>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
	radiant/modules/common.lua:265: in function 'xpcall'
	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:591: in function '_thread_main'
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:273: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:270>
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:270: in function 'f'
	radiant/lib/env.lua:15: in function <radiant/lib/env.lua:14>

release-761 (x64)[M]
(3804 Elio Rell) (stonehearth:eat_item) bad frame transition to "stop" from "stopping"
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'execute'
	stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_carrying_action.lua:14: in function <stonehearth/ai/actions/eat_carrying_action.lua:8>
	...tonehearth/services/server/tasks/run_task_action.lua:143: in function <...tonehearth/services/server/tasks/run_task_action.lua:141>
	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:607: in function <stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:591>
	stonehearth/components/ai/ai_component.lua:591: in function '_thread_main'
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:273: in function <stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:270>
	stonehearth/services/server/threads/thread.lua:270: in function 'f'
	radiant/lib/env.lua:15: in function <radiant/lib/env.lua:14>
1 Like