StoneVox 3D - Community Voxel Modeler for StoneHearth

Hey there!

i really like the program
it’s easy and fun!

but i have,… sort of a problem

Default is 10x10x10 right?(grid)

i tried to make it suitable to human model by makin it a 23x33x23

and after that if you do about 5 cubes the program doesn’t stop, but i can’t place any more cubes

is this a common bug?
can i fix it?

is it a bug that is’t fixable at the moment?
if so when could i expect it to be fixed?

Hi, thank you for giving StoneVox a try :wink:

Sorry you are having trouble.

This should be isolated to when you are changing the size of the model. adjusting it to 23x33x23.

You have two options I see

1. Navigate to your stonehearth’s mods folder and open up stonehearth.smod, rename it to if you have to. be sure to rename it back when your done

Navigate in the .zip to stonehearth\jobs\worker\worker_outfit\, grap worker_outfit.qb and drag it to the desktop.

From here load worker_outfit.qb into StoneVox by dragging and dropping it over the programs window.

Model Away :slight_smile:

This avoids you resizing the model manually, which can cause the bug
    Having the base to model off of should make it a lot easier. It would also be setup for animation too. :wink:

2. If the program remains responsive I’d recommend seeing if you can export your current work, then restart StoneVox, and re-load the .qb you just exported.

I believe I have it isolated now, it’s just a matter of a few finally adjustments.

I try to prioritize my users. Feedback it greatly appreciated ;), I’ll see if I can get it done over the next few hours.

As a side note, outfits and body models for Hearthlings should be 31x41x31.

Thanks! now it works!

i figured out that if you change the grid manually and then close the scaling window
the bug tends to not happen. at least not very often

and i have no doubt that the community loves you for doing this for us!

i know it;s hard work
keep up the good work!

Thank you very much @Hyrule_Symbol :slight_smile:

I’ve updated StoneVox correcting part of the issue. Please redownload v0.0.5 to get the update.

There still are issues surrounding manual resizing but it is much much better than it was before, this is just a small fix to hold everyone over till I can get the issue fully resolved :wink:

Thanks! i’ll download it when i get ti my computer later

i suggest making the platform of the grid
(the blue square in the bottom)
transparent when you look from the bottom side. the clipping looks a bit weird and it gives poor visual on the color

and maybe make the background color choesable. i found myself getting confused when i place cubes that are colored
Dark Green of Black

And also i suggest a Color Picking tool!
trying to blend the cubes with the existing models is quite hard withiut such a tool

But i guess thees things will need a lot of work to do, so i don’t want to rush you or anything.
just that i think it would be nice, so you could maybe consider adding them (i didn’t read the list so i’m not sure if it’s there)

I’ll be sending you bugs if i find any later

Thank you for all of this again!

Great idea’s :wink:

That always bugged me, I’ve just never gotten around to it. My focus has been on missing features, later on I’ll clean stuff like this up.

This isn’t on the planned feature list, it should be :wink: . I’ll add it to the list now.

ALT + Left mouse click while in the brush or adding tool will select the color of the cube the mouse is over, I have plans to add an icon so people with know that this is a thing. Hidden keyboard shortcut, is hidden :wink:

Thank you again very much. :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone,

It has been about a week since my last post where I discussed what features I was focusing on. Here’s an update as to whats going on.

So I began working on a selection tool, this would allow you to grab groups of voxels and move them around. There would also be options to re-color the selection, delete it, ect.

As I was going along, I quickly noticed performance was still not where it needed to be. So, I began my google hunt and what I’ve found has truly amazed me.

See, currently on my computer I was able to render about 30,000 voxels before I would see a decent drop in performance. With a change to how the rendering is carried out I was successfully able to render over 32,000,000 polygons, which would be over 5,000,000 voxels, without any trouble.

Quite a jump right :slight_smile:

Left Side - simple 3d object consisting of 8 polygons
Right Side - that same simple 3d object rendered 4,000,000 times, so much so it created a seemingly solid object.

All the while maintaining a steady 60 fps.

With this coming change there shouldn’t be any concerns about reducing the number of visible voxels, with that issue out of the way I can really adjust a lot of things. Meaning performance in all areas will go off the charts.

Now I did have some trouble. I was unable to perform this rendering technique in opengl, what StoneVox uses for it’s rendering, and don’t really know why. After fiddling around for a few hours and not really getting anywhere, I created a new project using directx. This was where I was able to do the large volume rendering.

If anyone here is knowledgeable on “hardware instancing” in opengl, maybe lwjgl too. Please let me know, it would be a great help going over with you possibilities as to what I’m going wrong. Till I solve this issue and get StoneVox up to speed, any progress towards the productivity features will be put on hold.

I’m sorry for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience as I work through this. :wink:

I really can’t wait to see where you are going to take this project. It looks like you’re making some serious progress on quality improvements and useability.

I have enjoyed using it so far, and am excited to the future of this project.

Version 0.0.6

Now available for download at my github, here’s a quick summary of the changes.

• Condensed the exporter into one tool with options.
    • you can now specify a position to export at
  • Support for as many matrices as your computer can handle.
  • The “Matrix List” is now scrollable
  • Mousing over the name of matrices in the “Matrix List” will now highlight that matrix.
  • Background color can be changed now, this is done by right clicking in the color selector. This will be later moved to it’s own ui component.
  • Floor now disappears when the camera goes below it.
  • Lowered the OpenGL requirement from 4.3 to 4.2.
  • Various changes internally to the program

There might be some sort of inaccurate transparency support for matrices in the future :wink:

Side Note

Hi Everyone,

As most of you know I was working on getting a far superior rendering technique down for StoneVox. I spent days looking around reading online resources, viewing samples, I even reached out privately with a few of our community members.

Overall my efforts were not in vain, and I was able to see a great improvement over what I had been current doing.

But sadly I am beginning to draw the conclusion that Java is just not the place to be. Currently I am looking into alternatives like C# with OpenTK or C++ with Qt and OpenGL.

I haven’t made the final decision on which way I want to go, but I am certain the project needs this change if it’s going to continue, the C++ route will offer me more control, but will take quite sometime to get something going. C# with OpenTK will in a few areas will be almost a direct port of the original code, and is also a joke to program in compared with C++, ( a lot easier… at least for me ).

This has been truly the biggest decision I’ve had to make when it comes to StoneVox’s development. I am currently running some different tests. I’ll keep you guys posted…

Overall this change should be a great one, giving me the chance to revise code as I bring it over from Java, perhaps coming up with something better. It should also eliminate some of the strange crashes, and help reduce the current memory footprint StoneVox has. Really the users experience should improve a lot.

And don’t worry OSX and Linux users, you are still covered by this change :wink:

Once again thanks for your time, and patience.

Does anyone like the idea of being able to work with others through the internet in StoneVox? Essentially this is how it would work.

1. Two or more people meet up, and say “hey lets make some stuff”

2. Person 1 decides, “I’ll host the server, you join me. Here’s my IP”

3. Person 1 starts StoneVox and selects some options and setups the server

4. Person 2 starts StoneVox and joins Person’s 1 server

5. Both people work on the same model at the same time, and see each others changes.

I think this would also be great to cut down on collaboration time between people discussing their thoughts on models that they’ve made.

Currently unless you are using something like github to sync your files, person 1 would have to upload pictures or the actual .qb in order for person 2 to see them. From there person 2 would make some changes or post back some thoughts. But being able to just work together I think would be very beneficial to the development process.

There would also be chat, and maybe microphone support built right into StoneVox.

Now would be a great opportunity to implement this, it would be quite a bit of work to get going but I think in the long run it would be very helpful. :wink:

I think this idea would be amazing. It would definitely improve the quality of work for beginners if you can have a mentor teaching you techniques right on the spot! Maybe I will have to start modelling again!

Hey @honestabelink!

I saw you considered Windows-only technologies instead of Java, and that would suck if you did. I would heavily recommend using C++ with GTK :slight_smile: Or Qt if you so desire.

What are the “Windows-ony technologies”?

If I do go the C# route, there is Mono which Windows, OSX and Linux will all run. On top of this OpenTK claims to be cross-platform.

OpenTK is available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, *BSD, SteamOS, Android and iOS. It can be used standalone or integrated into a GUI (Windows.Forms, WPF, GTK+, Qt, VTK, …)

the third-party Mono Project has been developing an open source implementation of the ECMA standards that are part of .NET Framework, as well as most of the other non-ECMA standardized libraries in Microsoft’s .NET. The Mono implementation is meant to run on Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X, BSD, HP-UX, and Windows platforms.

I am very much open to discussion, what are your concerns, are they OpenTK, do you think C++ with QT/GTK is just the better way?

Truth be told, Mono runs horribly. It doesn’t run anything above 4.0 of .NET either, without noticable crashes and bugs.

VoxelShop (Voxel-Editor)

At the least I’ll be running 2.0 and only using a small partition of the library. My thought process at this point is getting something on the platform StoneHearth is running. My goals were never to make the next best Voxel Modeler, only to enable the modding community for StoneHearth. If StoneHearth was cross-platform you’d hear me saying C++. Besides, I’d hate to spend time on something like cross-platform when my users are still struggling because they’re without basic features.

I said this to someone else too, StoneVox is not a terribly complicate program. If I have to make another change I will. I am hard working and enjoy learning. :wink:

In the end if I could trust my C++ skills to re-produce StoneVox in a reasonable time I would go that route. But I don’t think I can. I know I could get it done, but the time and implementation would be my concern. My plan is move ahead with C# and OpenTK. We will see how things go. When the time comes for cross platform I may just move over to C++.

In the meantime I’ll be brushing up on my C++, maybe I’ll do some sort of my own game jam or something like that, where I’ll give myself 72 hours to make a game and see what I can come up with :slight_smile: .

Rest assured @Stian, platform choice does matter to me. Whatever needs to be done will be done to deliver a great experience on your Platform of choice.

Thank you for your thoughts, I personally am more familiar with QT, but I’ll be checking into GTK :slight_smile: .

Thank you :slight_smile: By using GTK# you can also make your C# applications at least a little more cross-platform

[0.0.6 patch] .obj Exporter :smile:

I am very happy to say you can now export to .obj from StoneVox. Here’s the brake down

• when you export to .obj, two files are produced. A .obj and .mtl, your modeling software of choice will need them both be sure to keep them together.
  • exported files go into the “export” folder just as .qb’s do

Lets see all those models come to life.

@voxel_pirate created a StoneHearth Animation Addon for Blender, which I have used so far with great success.

Here’s a link to the topic for the Addon

In the topic @voxel_pirate has also linked his video tutorials which show you step by step how to setup Blender all the way from animating to finally exporting of the animation. They are very good :slight_smile:

Overall I’ve only encountered one problem with the addon so far while working with someone else who was using it, the issue seem be cause by not matching skeletons with their animations. Keeps this in mind, you be using the same skeleton for each animation.

Thank you again @voxel_pirate

I’m going to be busy with the new version of StoneVox, this new version should be vastly superior to the old one. On top of that I’ve decided to implement my networking idea. So in the future you will diffidently be able to join others online in StoneVox.

These changes will keep me tied up for sometime. I hope this can hold everyone over as I get onto the new version :wink:

Thanks for your time

i will need to ask if there is any way to load any model, because i look around and don’t found any

Yes, importing .qb files is currently done via drag and drop, simply select any file you have drag it over the programs window and release, everything should load just fine.

If you have any other concerns feel free to ask :wink:

Thanks for checking out the project

as for .obj’s no, sorry that is not a feature right now :slight_smile:

Hello, I can not use this all I get is a black screen and it has been like this from my 1st download of it ( when it 1st came out that is) so can you make a youtube video on how to make this work? I will try and make a video on what happens to show you but not sure if i will get the time. OH and it will let me drop .Qb files into it but it stays black but I can export them to .obj but I can not edit the .Qbs. If you could make it so I can drag and drop .qbcl files ( from the free Qubicle Constructor ) then I could take a longer method of making models