New builder Internal walls

If you design a house with two (or more) rooms they will share a wall. That wall will actually belong to one of those rooms and behave as an external wall for that room.
This means that when you lower the walls to see the interior of the house it will never show the side that faces the other room. You will never be able to decorate (or see) that second room side of the wall.
Would it be possible to designate that wall as internal? In the same fashion as when you designate free blocks as roof or wall?
“Being internal” means that it would not have an outside face and hence never go down when you press the button to lower the walls.

Have fun, Kyth.

3 Likes

You can already do this!
If you use the hole tool to delete the wall, and the use the block/slab tool to make a wall out of that. Don’t tell it its a wall: that way it will never go down!

Alternatively do tell it its a wall, and point the “normal” green arrow towards you from the side you want it to stay visable.

1 Like

That is what I’ve been doing to work around the problem for quite sometime, but it is not a solution. Just a patch. I do that by default with every internal wall I have.

The free-block estructure does the trick when you click the lower walls button once, but behaves different from a wall when you click twice. it stays up.
it requires you to completely delete the original wall and then draw another one with free blocks. If you, later on, decide to modify that room in that direction you won’t be able to do it unless you know how to recover the deleted wall, another (easy) workaround needed. And no, the undo button may no longer be an option cause you probably have built a lot since then.
Fortunately, it accepts doors (and windows) in the same fashion as normal walls.

Your alternative “solution” involves having to change the facing each time you want to do something on the “wrong” side of the wall.

It would be much easier for everyone if you could simply tell the wall to be internal than going through any of those processes. I’m not asking for a workaround, @Wouter_Sikkema. I’m asking for a new, easier, feature that gives us quality of “play-life”. :wink:

Have fun, Kyth.

1 Like

fair point, wouldnt your idea about internal walls be hindersome if you have multiple in a row though? [room1|room2|room3] if you looked from the side of room 1 you couldnt see 2 and 3?
or should i imagine it more as a “just remove the roof” sort of function? where you would mainly look from diagonally above? (im trying to imagine a construction where you would want what you are describing)
got a pic?

Only if you are looking at them from one side. I admit that I always look at rooms from an angle and slightly downwards, so that I see more than one wall at the time. That would not be a problem for me, but for someone else, it might. Still, the workaround for that problem is easy, just move your camera and you will be able to see all the rooms.

The real problem would be a room whose walls are all internal with a floor on top of it (The Internal Room). Roofs dissapear as soon as you lower the walls so they are not a problem. But for what I have heard the slice tool may be adapted to affect houses too, if it hasn’t been already. Adjusting the height of the slice would remove floors, so that may not be a problem in the end.

Have fun, Kyth.

An item for @not_owen_wilson 's consideration. :slight_smile:

1 Like