My First Game "Nerf Herder"

Hello all,

It’s been a while since I have posted anything here. I have been quite busy as I have decided to go back to school at the age of 45. Inspired in part by folks like Tom and Tony I have decided to follow my life long dream to make video games. I am in my second year of school now at Edmonton Digital Arts College. My first year was in Digital Illustration and Sequential Art. I am now in the Video Game Design program. I had many years of programming experience before starting my current programs. The school is amazing and I’m learning much more than I expected to.

We have just finished our first major project in video game design. We had 2 months, minus lecture time, to come up with a concept, design, scope, develop, and build a complete video game, including creating all the assets (artwork and models) required. We developed the games in Unity and we were free to use resources from the asset store, as well as recruit help from the digital art students at school. The games were published on at least three web portals: Kongregate, Newgrounds, and Game Jolt.

In the past I have found the community here to be very positive, in contrast to many online discussion communities. I have enjoyed many discussions here. I also love Discourse. That is why I decided to put my game up here for feedback. so with no further delay here are the links:

http://gamejolt.com/games/nerf-herder-prototype/112797

My game has received the attention of a publisher who wants to publish this as a full PC game, hence the subtitle of prototype. I will be rebuilding the game from scratch for the publisher. Hopefully I will have a website for the game soon. I would have just put up my own website but I haven’t worked out all the details with the publisher, so I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes. Hopefully I haven’t done that by talking about it here :blush:

Please let me know what you think, both here and on any of the web portals where it is running. A significant portion of my grade for school is based on user ratings of the game and number of plays.

Some of my plans for the full version of the game are to make it more of a tycoon type game with the puzzle aspect found in managing, and breeding the desired colours and types of nerf. You will have money and there will be no levels but instead campaign type scenarios. You will start with a small amount of nerfs and you will need to maintain them and breed them, similar to sim farm. There will be other traits you can breed your nerfs for besides colour, and certain types will be more valuable.

Looking forward to reading what you folks think of it, and any ideas you may have for the full version.

Thanks.

P.S.

A like for the first person who can tell me what the reference is for “Nerf Herder” without googling it. I was surprised how many people didn’t know what it was, but I am quite a bit older than the rest of the students at school.

2 Likes

great game it was i little difficult at times but if you kill off the right color nerfs after they get the color you need then it works out great. but as they full game version i think it would out great. it will be instresting to see what you do with it.

also the nerf herder is from Star Wars V, i think its a insult to Han by Leia “scruffy looking, nerf herder” My family would always quote Han “who you callin scruffy looking”

2 Likes

Correct.

“Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking Nerf herder!”

Has anyone else had a chance to check it out? I was really hoping to get a bit more feedback and possibly some suggestions for the full version.

i was away over the weekend so i haven’t got a chance to test it out yet. i should have time later today though.

Haven’t had a chance to check it out yet, but I’m interested in the school you’re attending…I live in Alberta as well and will be checking out that school :smile: