[MOD] [SPOILERS] Water Mod v0.7.0

Okay @chessmaster42 you have major problem with version 3, They do not drink from well. i had to throw it down quick to comp for thirst, put it near a body of water, 1 sqaure out. and my villager still didnt drink and started dying. So imma revert back to version 2 lol.

If you’re using an existing save you need to destroy all existing wells are recreate new ones from scratch. I had to fix quite a few bugs. Just select the well and type ‘destroy’ in the console. The new ones ought to work properly. If they still don’t work let me know.

I didnt have a well up since no water, so had to make one after your update. I threw some water down, then a well. still didnt work.

I’m back after awesome birthday stuff yesterday. Played tabletop games pretty much all day with a few friends. I’m sitting down to do some bugfixing this afternoon and hopefully squash this well bug once and for all :stuck_out_tongue:

@micheal_handy76_mh:

As for the well issues, do you see the well filling up with water or does it stay empty? The latest update indicates the water level inside the well so it’ll be obvious if the well is picking up water.

Also, do your hearthlings show the thirsty thought bubble and do they try to drink from the well or do they just never see it? I made some AI changes with water finding/drinking in the last update so you may want to try with a fresh world just to test if maybe your existing hearthlings are bugged. It’s unlikely but possible.

@Miturion:

When you click on a tile of tilled dirt it will show the quality of the dirt there. Over time the dirt should absorb nearby water and increase the quality of the dirt. The process is currently very slow and needs plenty more tweaking. Any testing and input you can provide is much appreciated :smile:

Ok thanks, I will try it.

This is it, I do need to start fresh.

Anyways. @chessmaster42. The mod does kill Lua

Holy crap … 98% of the cpu time allocation :grimacing: Is this only when the water is flowing or is this all the time? I have an idea about what might be causing this and I’m pretty sure it’s a part of the code that does the water coloring and mixing. I’ll dig into some performance analysis today as well. I’m making progress on the well bugs but there’s several of them still lurking about :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Here’s from what I can tell, its when water is flowing, I had it set in ocean. And had the sink hole off to side so it wouldn’t flow up above ground. but the game’s lua is staying busy when is is flowing hard, 70-90% most times

Indeed, I don’t understand the hysteria anyway. It is an early access game full of unfinished stuff. He just enabled a water-feature what was already in the files and build upon it. Radiants biggest point is that they would have likely have uncovered it is its “final state”, whatever that is for an early access game. That is why there is a big SPOILER in the title now.
Like Tom said: “the game is modable from top to bottom”.

I have ran the game for like 4-5 days and have not seen a change in dirt level. The farm was submerged in 1 block of waterheight the entire time.

1 Like

Yeah, while I’ve been fixing other bugs I poked around in the irrigation code and for some reason it’s not triggering at all :confused: I’ll hopefully have it fixed in the next version. Something else you can try is removing the farming zone entirely after the water is there and then re-add. From what I can tell so far the bug is with triggering the component on the dirt plot.

1 Like

I actually had the water there before the farm.

I figured out the irrigation bug! Turns out I had accidentally removed the manifest entry for the mixinto :disappointed: I’ll have it fixed in the next update.

Also, I fixed some major AI bugs with water searching. Took several days of trial and error but I finally found the right stuff to get them to search for water and abandon sources that are empty. The AI is kinda finicky but I think I’ve got it working much, much better now :smile:

3 Likes

Get this error about 5 seconds after creating the spring.

That would be a bug in the game hydrology service when it merges two water bodies. Specifically it’s trying to verify that the two water bodies are at the same height before merging and in your case they aren’t, which is odd. What you can do in the mean time is try squaring off the water channel you carved there so that there are no obstructions to the water or odd shapes to the terrain and see if you still get the water body merge error.

Side note: The next version of my mod removes all of the hydrology overrides. That means that I can’t fix this myself (since it’s in the core hydrology service) and this is definitely something that Radiant is going to need to look into eventually.

Finally got the bugfix update finished thanks to some awesome help from @sdee with the AI :smiley:
The updated version, v0.4.0, is is the downloads section of the main post.

Changes:

• Removed overrides of default entities, components, renderers, and services
  • Removed water coloring until a better hook is available without overriding default classes
  • Fixed crop irrigation. Tilled dirt plots now properly pull in water and increase in quality
  • Major AI overhaul with Thirst mechanic (this one took me 3 days, ugh :anguished: )
  • Several more minor bug fixes/tweaks
  • The “enable_water” setting is now required due to removal of overrides (see Setup step #3)

So the main things that changed with this update are the removal of the overrides and coloring as well as the AI overhaul. The removal of coloring is a result of the override removals but as soon as something is implemented where I can better hook into these classes I plan to re-add coloring. This will keep the mod more maintainable as well as compatible and keeps the mod content to only that which I have authored (as much as possible).

The AI overhaul fixes a ton of problems with thirsty hearthlings having trouble either finding wells or drinking from them. They can now only drink one at a time but this will be changed in the future to allow more than one. To efficiently keep your population quenched it is recommended to build several wells (about 1 for every 8 hearthlings).

Now that I have all of the major bugs dealt with I’m moving back into feature development mode and hope to be able to spend some time tomorrow night working on the “next big thing”. Right now it’s looking like it will actually end up in its own mod but will build on the features and mechanics of this one.

Enjoy! :smile:

4 Likes

They all die after a while because they don’t drink any water from the wells, sorry to be a downer.

Also, have you removed waterfalls from 0.4.0? The water just builds up at the edge.

Did you add the “enable_water” tag as instructed in the setup? I should edit my change notes there as I forgot to mention that change. Because I’m no longer overriding any of the default hydrology files you have to set that user_settings value in setup step #3 in order to fully turn on water.

Also, you need to destroy your existing wells and build new ones. Moving or undeploying the existing ones isn’t enough due to component caching in the save file. Are you seeing the wells fill up with water or do they stay empty? Can you perhaps post a screenshot of your water, wells, and them showing the thirsty thought?

2 Likes

That sorted it, thanks. :smile:

edit: this mod just makes me extremely eager to get water in the game officially. I can’t wait.

5 Likes

LOL, I Dl’ed this mod, but I’m so hesitant to enable it lol. cause I don’t want my hearthling to die to thirst. I’m kinda a perfectionist and want to place my water in the right spot. And if I don’t then I’ll just start over and by the time i find the perfect spot for it and dig the river and put the well in my hearthlings will be dying lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, part of the problem is that they aren’t getting water from open water bodies right now and I’m not sure why just yet. Also, don’t worry if you see them thinking about being thirsty. It’s only a problem if they get below 0 hydration and get the debuff.

Any ideas on ways to delay the initial thirst?