[MOD] Commemorative Tombstones/Items [v 1.2.0 | W.I.P]

Commemorative Tombstones replace the vanilla tombstone with tombstones of different styles and looks; ornated with the various professions icon.
Additionally, the Mason can craft tombstones that reflect jobs from active mods and kingdom.

Commemorative Items will add items suitable for “graveyard-styling”, intended to counteract the negative ‘appeal points’ of tombstones.
The mod is work-in-progress, and more information will be shared later.

Commemorative Tombstones

It happens to the best of us: sometimes, Hearthlings die.
With Commemorative Tombstones, the tombstones are no longer generic and visually identical.

Downloads
Current version: 1.2.0.
Steam Workshop.
commemorative_tombstones.smod (361.3 KB)

Features
-A tombstone will be spawned upon the death of a Hearthling. (just like vanilla Stonehearth)
-The Mason can craft tombstones; recipes depend on selected Kingdom and active mods.
-Each tombstone will be engraved with a job-specific icon/symbol, based on the passed Hearthling’s most recent job.
-Variety between tombstones is ensured by several tombstone models (600+) with slight differences between them.
-The Earthmaster (Swamp Goblins) can craft goblin tombstones; recipes depend on active mods.

Compatibility
Should be compatible with basically all mods.
For jobs not included in any of the “Supported job-adding mods” below, an ambiguous tombstone that lacks any icon will be spawned; so no crashing or breaking features should occur.

Supported job-adding mods
In addition to all jobs in vanilla Stonehearth, this mod also produce job-specific tombstones for jobs found in ACE, Kingdoms Expanded, The Hunter, Fisher Job, Miner Profession, Nordlingmod, Glassworks, Space Magic, Wizard Quest, Armis Maximus, Swamp Goblins, Goblin Food, Goblin Oresmith, Goblin Warfare, and Goblin Warmaster.

Note
-Commemorative Tombstones will only affect tombstones spawned after the mod was installed.
This mod is compatible with existing save files; but any already existing tombstone will not be “converted”.
-Features from this mod will be added directly into ACE (at some point down the line).
Commemorative Tombstones is fully compatible with ACE until this mod is incorporated directly into ACE; unique tombstones for the jobs found in ACE will be spawned, too.
In the future, this mod is intended for those playing ACE-less.

Possible future features
No new features planned for now.

Commemorative Items

WIP. More information coming soon™.

20 Likes

Man, you are going to make me tear up.

Weirdly, they are tears of sweet melancholy, being able to honor the past.

I’m sorry if I made you feel bad with my comment a few weeks ago. This mod looks awesome. Please let me know if there is anything I can try to do to give you a hand at this

You are a very talented model maker, it shows with your models.

Looking forward to your mod.

2 Likes

I’m glad to see you’re moving along with it!
Can’t wait to have a chance to test it out.

I’m glad to see someone’s liking the idea of honoring the past - after all, you were they one suggesting it in the first place :wink:

I can not think of anything you’ve said that has made me feel bad, so I do believe we’re quite ok my friend :slight_smile:

Your kind words are highly appreicated, guys! I will make sure to call-out for help if I feel stuck.
For now, I think it is all a matter of how many minutes I’m able to spend on this each week; I feel like I should be able to figure all planned features out if I’m able to spend enough time on it :slight_smile:

I think the tombstone replacement and the action of mourning (based on a “friends-list”) is what will take me the most of time. Don’t know if I will/should try to finish both - or at least one - of these features prior releasing a test-version.

Great work! The herbalist tombstone has improved since the last one. Actually, I was thinking if you could make the tombstones generate in random shapes and sizes, while keeping the icons. If you add slight variations, but diverse enough, I think it would give graveyards a better look. Not that I want that much tombstones in my town or anything…
Anyway, even if you don’t like the idea too much, with a simple mod like that it would be great to have the option to turn it on or off, I mean the random shapes and sizes. I really think they would look good, if you could do a little experimenting with your models, I would appreciate that.
Again, an amazing job you did here, I’m downloading the mod right now.

Interresting idea - I like it! The various class tombstones have some slight variations between eachother (they have withered/“been damaged” in different spots) - but, so far, e.g. two different Mason tombstones would always look the same.

I will add your idea to the list of possible features. Thank you for the suggestion!
Seeing how I was able to add these models in the mod already, it should not be too hard to add several versions of the models into the mod.

Haha! no, of course not… but, with more diversed tombstones I wouldn’t mind more of them, either :angel:

I think that might prove a bit difficult, as I am yet to provide a download-link. Soon enough though. :slight_smile:
Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I noticed that too late

I agree, I wish you success with making this mod, and hope it will become a success. :grinning:.

1 Like

This is a great idea : ). Did you scale up the gravestone by 10x and then add smaller scale details in the middle, or is there a second .qb of smaller scale attached on the front?

1 Like

Hey, thanks!
I created a bigger-scaled version of the tombstone (3x) and then re-scaled it in game, yes :slight_smile:
However, I expect most of my future models to stay more true to the original “block size”.

1 Like

yasss this is a great idea.

We’ve actually talked a bit about having a third scale of voxels at 1/10th scale of the 1/10th scale (so terrain as 1, assets at 1/10th, possible ‘detail’ scale of 1/100th), but we haven’t acted on it at all. Cool seeing an example of what it’d be like : ).

3 Likes

Sounds cool!
Any particular reason for 1/100th, or is it simply to keep the “pattern of 10”?

Personally - based on my try with these models - I think the sizes I would use in future models would be:

• 1 (if I ever made any terrain)
  • 1/10 (assets)
  • 1/50 (details)

However, 1/50 would bring a different center-point than the rest - so maybe I’d go with 1/40 or 1/60 instead.

Yup, just to keep the pattern of 10. But we haven’t done anything with that yet, and may never - just stray thoughts ; ).

I think 1/20 is already too much. Almost everything in game is 1/10. There are rare things that have other scales, like the beds that have a 1/4 scale. I mostly keep 1/10, sometimes when I need odd sizes I use 1/9 or 1/11.

1 Like

Good thinking, Bruno! I have used 1/11 on some models as I find it easier with an “1 voxel center-point” than without it - but sticking to the 1 and 1/10 sizes sounds the best way to stay true to the artstyle of Stonehearth.

Somwhat double-posting, but… I don’t know how to prevent it in this case :stuck_out_tongue:

I went ahead and added extra model variations. Currently, for each profession there are in total 600 different variations that can be applied to a tombstone.

On the image below, no two tombstones are alike - there is always something that differentiate them from eachother.

I’ve updated the first post with this information as well.
However, no download-link yet as I want to solve the case with having them spawn upon the death of a Hearthling first.

4 Likes

To spawn the correct tombstones related to the job of the dead, you need to change this file:
\ai\actions\memorialize_death_action.lua

If you need, I can help you with the code later.

4 Likes

I have found the correct file since earlier - however, I have no previous experience with lua.

Later this week I should be able to put a few hours into this project, and I will have a go at it by myself at first.
I do appreciate the offer, Burno, and I will surely contact you regarding my progress closer to the weekend :slight_smile:

Oh gosh :open_mouth: i love this update!!! Iv’e seen you already implemented the new random Model :smiley: great job, keep working on it!

:merry:

1 Like