Make water less bright in startup map screen?

I think the water in the map at the start of a new game (when you’re picking your location to settle) might be a bit bright. I think it would look better if it were less so.

0:22

4 Likes

I’ve noticed this too. It’s like it doesn’t get shaded in the fog of war as it should, but after placing the banner or in the first night this behavior is fixed.

1 Like

Ah, but that sounds like you’re talking about this? But that was fixed as far as I’m aware (perhaps now it’s just an issue at the start of a game?). At any rate, I didn’t notice that anymore. I’m talking only about the screen where you select where to settle (not placing the flag, but the separate screen when you select the position of your map itself, before loading the actual game).

3 Likes

I’ll second that. The ponds and lakes on the map stand out too much as it is; maybe only have water that bright if it’s incredibly shallow, like a swamp or floodplains (once more biomes/map terrain variety is added). Even that, though, would probably look better with a duller or darker blue.

1 Like

Hmm… I was referring to just right before placing the banner, but with the map already loaded (maybe it’s just my graphics, and I haven’t tested latest yet).

The embark map has bright water, indeed… Perhaps even @Tom would agree to lower the brightness or saturation? :sweat_smile:

I find it lively like if it was reflecting the sky, but it makes too much contrast and can hurt the eyes sometimes… :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

I thought that’s what you were talking about, yes. I will have to see if I notice anything at that stage of the game, but I didn’t notice anything in my last play. At any rate, glad you and @Atralane agree about my original point.

2 Likes

To add to this, water is not obscured by distance fog:

Moving the camera backwards will show the water disappearing as it hits the max view distance, but there’s no smooth transition as you would see with land and trees because of this lack of fog blocking it from view

4 Likes