macOS unstable branch live now

Hey! sorry to say but we’ve come into an issue, on my friends mac game whenever she tries to mine it crashes even though she’s been mining throughout the game for some time now, we’re quite late into it with 66 hearthlings between us and have defeated the titan but have had no other issues at all so far except from (what i can tell) 3 or so harmless error messages.

Let me know what I can do to help! Thanks

edit: it’s a crash to desktop

edit2: Been doing some testing and i cant reliably repeat the crash, it’s happened quite a few times but seems to be in general not a major obstacle to keep playing, I can only guess that it’s happening due to performance at such a late point in the game with so many hearthlings, items and buildings but I could very well be wrong.

edit3: last update for tonight, been trying to play some more again and it’s crashing constantly whenever she tries to mine, including even pressing the mine icon on the ui.

edit4: only recently noticed this issue with her version on mac is that no grids show up when building/mining? Hoping that it’s toggable feature? Took me a while to figure the crash was multiplayer only as I was testing in single player derp. (after more testing it’s both single and multiplayer (triple derp)

I’m having the same or similar mining issue. So far, in 3 different starts (all from Steam, singleplayer, peaceful, winter people in the winter world, both with and without ACE) as soon as I try to mine a 4x4 block, it crashes.

I’m on a Mac and the game just completely shuts down/kicks me out completely. Let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to help!

1 Like

Hey! as far as I can tell this is the same issue reported above, which is I think related to a bug in the rendering of the mining regions. (Probably any of the similar highlight nodes.)

Can either of you share a crash log or the Stonehearth log so I can make sure it’s the same bug?

1 Like

Hey!

I asked the people who are making the ACE mod as it only/more often occured when we play with ace enabled, I put the log and and crash thing in that post when it crashed, hope it helps and let me know if I can do anything else to help!

Thanks a lot!

singleplayer mac ace report .docx (122.0 KB)
stonehearth.log (14.6 KB)

Here are logs from now

1 Like

Thanks!

It does look the same, the key parts too look for are in the mac crash dump:
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::out_of_range: unordered_map::at: key not found

and it’s from radiant::game_engine::HordeRenderNode::DestroyRenderNode() + 1110
so it is the crash in the renderer.

Good news is it’s not related to ACE; bad news is that it’s more or less random. It tends to happen when mining, so to reproduce it I’ve been loading a save that was reported to me here over and over and mining till it crashes.

In all honesty I don’t think I’ll be able to solve this in time, but I’m going to give it one more go.

1 Like

A consistent way I’ve got it to crash is in multiplayer with ace enabled(I know it’s not related as you said but still), Mac as the host and windows joining. The Mac can sometimes mine before a second player shows up but as soon as the windows player joins and the the Mac tries mining it crashes. Hope it helps and good luck!

1 Like

Hi,

I can make a crash happen by trying to attach a Preview Image when trying to publish an update to my mod on Steam Workshop.

crash_upload_preview_image.txt (107.4 KB)
stonehearth.log (7.0 KB)

Definitely not an important bug. I can do everything with Windows.

Oh interesting! thanks for the report, I’ll take a look.

Hey there!

I found a way to make the game work without crashing, you need to open stonehearth and it needs to be the first and only thing you do and it’ll work fine. I also tested after a reboot, opening a bunch of programs in the background and running the game and it did the crash.

This is down to a memory leak/ram I believe right?

I hope this helps!

1 Like

That’s pretty cool! I have no idea why that would be the case, but I’m glad you found something.

Hey all, I’m having trouble reproducing the crash on my latest version; does anybody have steps I could try? (I’m currently still trying @agar’s save and it’s working fine for me now…)

With the current version I had an crash in the middle of mining with a new save.
With the save i sent I could produce a crash using the mining tools with loading it (loading used mods, with ace mod it crashed at loading)

Good to know! I’ll try crashing it with ace.

Looks like the ace crash is unrelated:

Error Looking up animation /stonehearth/data/rigs/jobs/cook/cook_mill/animations/idle_ace.json: invalid file path '/stonehearth/data/rigs/jobs/cook/cook_mill/animations/idle_ace.json'.
Error Looking up animation /stonehearth/data/rigs/jobs/cook/cook_mill/animations/idle_ace.json: invalid file path '/stonehearth/data/rigs/jobs/cook/cook_mill/animations/idle_ace.json'.

Okay; weirdly I think I found a hack that prevents the crash when mining, but it also removes the edges from the mining zones. :frowning: I’m going to test it some more, then release it probably tomorrow.

Okay; Just pushed a release that fixes the file dialog in the mods screen & has the hack for mining zones. The crash still exists, but it shouldn’t happen because of mining (as much?). Please let me know if it horribly breaks something and I’ll revert it! Thank you all!

1 Like

Unfortunatley still getting a consistent ctd when trying to start a game in the highlands (ace) though i’ll let you know if it’s gotten better on the vanilla maps when I can!

I have an error on my Mac Catalina 10.15.7
link to gDoc

Translated Report (Full Report Below)

Process: Stonehearth [21185]
Path: /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Stonehearth.app/Contents/MacOS/Stonehearth
Identifier: Stonehearth
Version:
Code Type: X86-64 (Translated)
Parent Process: steam_osx [20639]
Responsible: steam_osx [20639]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-12-09 13:23:24.8462 -0500
OS Version: macOS 13.0 (22A380)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: EDC75645-104B-4F8A-CD93-210CAEEF851E

Sleep/Wake UUID: 97E6303B-C097-49FE-AB08-6123DCF1360F

Time Awake Since Boot: 80000 seconds