Hobby Project - The Beat

Wow! I’m impressed. I will keep an eye on your work!

@FinKone mind me asking what this is coded in and what file type those models are in? and obviously how they are being animated since the model and animations are two different things? and if the files are fbx how are you loading them to where they appear normal?

So I’ve finally got around to watching the videos, well I’m midway through this latest video and I think it looks awesome so far!

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Although I do feel sorry for the guy at 1:08 in the video :cry:

2 Likes

This has become my favorite topic

1 Like

Newf the mini map is on the list to do for sure. I’m debating though. Half the fun can be finding the crime. I might have a basic map, that will only mark the players current location. Street names and blocks will also be labeled though, so when the dispatch tells you to head over to Second and 56th you’ll be able to get in the area, then look for that person by description (if dispatch managed to get one!).

Also dogs are planned for long term. You’ll be able to spend positive points you’ve gotten from being a good cop on things such as K9 units, vests, weapons, car upgrades, and even a rookie partner (once you’ve gotten enough points to become a field training officer). These are all dreams in my head right now but I’ll get around to them.

As for having other AI steal AIs dogs - thats something I haven’t thought about and I’ll be using that when it comes time to put more types of crimes in.

BirdyNomNom - Thanks!

Gubgub45 Its coded in C# (Mostly 4.0) I’m making them (3D Models)using Qubicle (a program I would have never found if it wasn’t for stonehearth!) and importing them into Blender (because I’m cheap) then exporting them out as a FBX for use, and setting parameters to use them for my needs.

Geoffers747 Thanks - I feel like I upload a bit to often, and really don’t have to many new additions to show sometimes so I’m debating backing off with the updates.

Ok… I lied… heres another upload.
But I did remove the video right below this because the features I was showing looked like garbage at the time. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lets go on patrol!

I took away the nasty edges from the prisoner transport functions (still rough but ten fold better then the other day). Added the first rough install of victims giving the player a description of the criminal! (Shirt and Pants color) This system will become more detailed over time - and also vary (sometimes they won’t even have a description). Going to work on adding in the dispatcher for crimes, and a basic map that can only be accessed VIA your police computer (which is in the car). The victim describing the suspect is very basic - but the core of passing information swiftly from the objects needed is complete and will be easy to add to.

6 Likes

Absolutely awesome! I gotta ask though, is there a donut shop somewhere? :donut:

1 Like

Over looked this completely. Now you’ve got me wanting to add a donut shop, at the minimum a stand…

Perhaps I’ll start up a idea list / post. If I do I’ll take what you’ve guys said and use it in the start of the topic. I havent yet.

Maybe donut shops heal you for an amount of the points you mentioned earlier this will only work if criminals can shoot you/resist arrest

Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions. Got a few things to talk about.

I currently switched over to a verbal command (no pausing) if ordering a person to stop with your weapon drawn.
The AI you are interacting with, might try to pull a fire arm, knife, or drop drugs and run.
Based off that, I wanted to keep it real time - rather then a pause order system you’ve seen in the past.

If your weapon is away, it will however pause the game, and give you options. This type of selection system is designed for extreme close range now (If your weapons out, the person you are pointing at, within a 25 meter range or so - will stop, if however you do not have your weapon drawn and you are trying to issue commands (The Q key) you must be within 5 meters or so since this is considered a “calm” state for your Police Officers)

Any other ideas in regards to how the commands from the Police Officers to AI should work?

Additions since last video include

• Arrest progress bar
  • Negative points for arresting persons that are innocent
  • Positive points for arresting criminals
  • More dynamic crime locations (improved AI)
  • Dispatch will send a tone over radio when a crime has been reported
    (Just because a crime is happening, doesn’t mean its been reported yet. This happens on a random range to simulate someone calling the police)
  • Basic ground work for dispatch to send location
  • Basic ground work for a working map (on foot) players might not be near their car and get a call, at which they can pull out their map IF they need help to locate the crime. Long term is to get a whole range of audio so you’d hear something such as “342 - Dispatch, We’ve got reports of a robbery in progress off 59th and Long.”

So now that I’ve stated a few things I’m working on I have a few other questions.

I’m going to go one route or the other
In regards to letting the player FIND the crime once dispatch has reported it.

It would be easy to just simply write a waypoint that would guide the player to the crime, but I think I don’t want this…

Instead I was going to use some type of trigger based system to determine where the crime has taken place, and relay the information to the player - letting him get into the area, but have to investigate once on scene… kind of a key thing I think cops have to do yanno? (as the concept states above) of course in the prototype phase it would be a text information relay, and would later if I get some type of budget be turned into voice.

Just wanted to get some extra input from you guys. My wife looks at me like I’m retarded when I try to have these types of conversations with her… Little does she know, worst case scenario SHES doing to voice acting for dispatch. :dancers:

3 Likes

Amazing work man ^^ The only thing between me and trying to make anything would be making an engine. I’m pretty sure at this point in time that I am pretty much 99% useless at MAKING engines.

Stick with this idea. I feel the waypoint system would get boring fast, part of the excitement should be about finding it yourself and getting there in a good time

In a similar fashion to the map you have when on foot how about having a GPS system in the car? You could search for the place manually, or it gets automatically put into the GPS system and that then updates your map accordingly. Or, if you have a partner riding with you you can tell them to put it in the GPS and then after a randomly small amount of time it updates your map?

1 Like

No guys - I’m not dead, just very busy at work to the point I haven’t had a weekend in almost a month. In between because of limited time its hard to work on new features, have them half way done, and pick up where I left off even with TODO notes. So with that said I’ve been making everything run faster. Instead of 60 FPS I’m not getting around 90-100, so I’ll be able to add more depth, more cars, more people, more everything (over time).

I’ve been working on making the cars suspension more realistic, and improve performance at the same time. I don’t think I’ll be working this weekend so I might get to sit down and finish the ability to search criminals for illegal items, and ID. Once this is complete I’m going full tilt into making car AI more independent in terms of moving around the city. The short term goals are getting them to react to obstacles realistically, pull over for sirens and traffic stops, add a AI drivers and passengers to each vehicle (Debating about making windows a alpha material so you can see who is inside) add trucks, work vans, commercial vehicles (art work is done for the most part, just not implemented into the engine)

Once I get it so you can pull cars over, get people out, and search persons I’ll be looking back at working on the dispatcher / map features to help the player get into the area of crime.

I’ll try to post something up in the near future - don’t hold me to it.

Later guys.

4 Likes

Just find the time when you can! It’s pretty awesome that you keep us in the loop like this, and I actually look forward to your updates.

Really awesome work so far! Maybe the ability to climb over fences would be cool, add some amazing chasing aspect into it.

Man, I really wish I could make a game. I would totally make GTA… only in voxel form

Couldn’t agree more. Down the road I plan to make AI foot chases more entertaining, and more depth is on the list for sure.

1 Like

i dont know if it’s because you are a small indie dev, or that i just prefer the overall design of your game more… but i find im much more interested in this project than the (pretty spectacular) failed kickstarter Police Quest reboot… :wink:

Yeah, and if you’re up for it you could maybe even make a dynamic crime scene, perhaps where there’s different sets of evidence.

its been ages since the last update…