General performance issues

Ah, so there IS possibility for me to have somewhat of a decent framerate.

Possibly, the issue here is that I am using a fairly high end graphics card and I am getting really bad frame-rates with it.

The Intel 4000 is NOWHERE near as powerful as the 7870, but I hope that chipsets like it will be able to support the game in the future. Obviously there will be graphical sacrifices to do this, but it would be playable. The general rule of thumb is that 30FPS is playable, 60FPS is golden. That rule mainly applies to shooter games, but it gets really annoying with RTS based games like stonehearth and makes things feel really buggy.

Is the CPU at 99% after the terrain has finished generating? If so, thatā€™s very suspicious. All this sounds like weā€™re hitting some error condition thatā€™s causing the CPU to do lots of busywork, and so as a consequence it canā€™t feed the graphics card fast enough.

Can you do me a big favour and private-message me your Stonehearth logs? Theyā€™ll be in C:\Users{you}\AppData\Local\stonehearth. Youā€™ll see both a horde3d_log.html and a stonehearth.log file. If you can, please send me both. Thanks!

1 Like

I will do this when I get home on sunday, glad I can help!

I believe that this is after the terrain is generated.

1 Like

Excuse me if Iā€™m wrong here, but is a constant FPS of 30 not actually = to a constant FPS of 60? I know in terms of visual in-take for films as stuff, 30ā€™s as good as is needed, as in your eyes canā€™t take in any more information than 20-30 FPS so nobody bothers showing things in anything higher (other than the Hobbit pt1 which went for 48 for some bizarre reason). I donā€™t know if itā€™s different for games though. Frames may well not be quite the same :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, leave my baby alone! But, in all seriousness I actually have this exact card, so thought my experience would probably be quite a good one to share!

I honestly feel like I get quite good FPS. With iTunes, 6 tabs (3 of them loaded videos too) in IE alongside SH running just then, the game felt very smooth. And my computer sounds like itā€™s probably fairly toned down compared to yours if yours came with 12 GB RAM, even if that itself is unnecessary other parts are likely better. Maybe Iā€™m just less picky, I am used to playing with lag, but I deliberately went on and focussed on the smoothness and it all felt good, though Iā€™ll admit to not getting further than searching for a location to place my flag. Now Iā€™m just gonna chuck in as much info as I can find:

• In-game, in the Options menus it says my graphics cardsā€™ build is 4.00, then 10.18.10.3316 whatever that means.

• Options are at default other than fullscreen:

• V-Sync enabled
    • Fullscreen on
    • Anti-aliasing off
    • Shadow Detail a little more
    • Draw Distance 1000
  • My system:

• Acer Aspire E1-571
    • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (with up to 1760 MB Dynamic Video Memory (this bit probably unnecessary to put))
    • Intel Core i5-3230M 2.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    • 1366x768 (resolution)
    • 4 GB RAM
    • 750 GB HDD (definitely unnecessary)
    • 15.6" HD LED LCD (again, unnecessary)
    • Acer Nplify 802.11b/g/n (I donā€™t know why Iā€™m including this)
    • DVD-Super Multi DL Drive (I really donā€™t)
    • 6-cell Li-ion battery (Iā€™m not sure I can stop)
    • ā€¦oh it appears I can :slight_smile:
1 Like

And is this when you have had a fully built kingdom? When I get like, 10 logs it goes from 20 FPS to 2.

No, this was before placing my flag. But playing the game previously I recall as being pretty good too. I shall have another playthrough keeping a close eye on performance this time, however it would make sense first to be able to see my FPS first and I donā€™t have FRAPS :stuck_out_tongue: any help? Does it display if you do edit the user_settings.json to show dev tools (as in, is it included as a dev tool)?

Really? When youā€™ve cut down a few trees and gotten 10 logs, your framerate drops from 20FPS to 2FPS?

Framerate and latency, in the context of human visual/psychomotor systems, areā€¦complex. Wikipedia can illuminate a bit, as usual.

1 Like

Yep, and usually the framerate recovers but from there has a gradual decline from a recovery of say 15, to like less then 5 once I get a house going.

peculiar ā€¦ what precedes the recovery? do you have to stop issuing orders?

Nothing really, I guess it just takes time for the game to load.

Well, yes and no. Technically yes, the average eye only notices about 30FPS, anything higher it doesnā€™t register as much. However, if you are playing BF3/4 and you play on 30FPS for a bit, and then go to 60FPS. There is absolutely a noticeable difference. The game just ā€œFeelsā€ much more responsive, smoother, and cleaner. After 60FPS, I canā€™t really argue that there is too much of a difference, in fact I steer away from surpassing 60FPS because then you usually get screen shredding on your monitor.

Okay, sounds like something is broken here, tooā€“the framerate shouldnā€™t drop just because you cut down a few trees. Can you private-message me your logfiles? Theyā€™ll be in C:\Users{your user name}\AppData\Local\stonehearth. Youā€™ll see both a horde3d_log.html and a stonehearth.log file. If you can, please send me both. Thanks!

just out of curiosity, are there potentially user/machine specific details in the logs that you are trying to keep folks from exposing to the general public (PM vs. posting here)?

also, we havent requested .html files as an available extension from our discourse contactsā€¦ iā€™ll submit that now though, as it looks like we could leverage this in the futureā€¦

im not sure if that particular extension will be problematic, but weā€™ll see!

2 Likes

There should be absolutely nothing personally-identifiable in the logs, aside from graphics card type/driver version info, but my past experiences with user data make me pretty careful about sharing it around. Also, entropy is funnyā€“someone incredibly brilliant may be able to deduce certain things about a person just from the way they play a game. Itā€™s a super-crazy longshot, but then, crypto researchers recently found a way to extract a private-key from a computer thatā€™s decrypting a known-text message by listening to the CPU decrypt the message with an iPhone. (No, your credit-card isnā€™t going to be stolen any time soon, but still: not something I would have ever believed possible. Then again, Iā€™m not a crypto guy, so my opinion on the matter was already suspect).

HTML file upload: probably still a good idea to keep it off (again, paranoid about attack vectors); I can just ask folks to change the extension. Iā€™ve been meaning to turn the damn thing into a text file anyway, itā€™s silly that Horde (the engine weā€™ve been using/modifying) uses HTML, so this is a good excuse to get that done for the next push.

3 Likes

Well you are silly for being so non-Web 3.0. Instead of going back to an outdated medium, why canā€™t you add share buttons to the engine log? That would make things much easier if we could just post a Facebook or reddit link! /s

my suspicions, and your gut reaction were in line with what the discourse folks had to sayā€¦ no, on the .html extensionsā€¦ :negative_squared_cross_mark:

Agreed. In fact, I think we should probably not allow it ever:

My pc is very similar to yours. And I also get low fps and lag spikes when cutting trees or buildings. If you find any solution to this issue. Please post it here so I can know as well. I love this game so I would like to play it at a decent fps. Thank you so much