"Foundation blocks" to erect walls?

I haven’t had the chance to try this personally yet due to my schedule this week, but internal walls with the current system is something I’ve been wanting to try out a bit. The foundation idea I had is just one possible early mechanic remedy so the player wouldn’t have walls and floors at different levels of the building, possibly causing errors with each other. Either way, the issues brought up in the thread will likely get fixed–internal walls, secondary floors… the foundation block is one possible way I saw the building mechanic could expand a bit.

Yeah, I agree that sort of happens–the problem is, that’s sort of how buildings are logically put together. The dimensions need to be set first, then the details are added like the roof and doodads. However, one thing we might see in the future is the ability to draw the external portion of the house, then fill the inside. The player could draw the outside walls in the shape they want, then there could be a new option to automatically fill in a floor (reversing the process). I don’t know how likely this would be, but it’s one possible way the process might be switched around. There’s definitely going to be more building options anyway, so it should begin to feel less “draw box, erect house around it” a little farther into development.

I would say the same thing, being able to change an existing house is something we’ll see in the eventual future–it could be as general as taking the model of the house back into construction mode and then changing the design or adding features would cause a new stage of construction on it, tearing down and building voxels to match the new design. (Not to shamelessly promote my concept, but having the specifications for the walls and floors on the same plane, playing by similar mechanics of placement, would make this editing process hopefully a little simpler–especially with multiple-floor structures.)

2 Likes