Elder Scrolls Online Beta

I personally felt it was too mmo and not enough TES. If they put the map into a single player and/or co-op game I would love it. But I feel it doesn’t play the same as you might want from an elder scrolls game. If you like mmo’s though I’d say give it a shot.

I got sold on the fact that I can marry my wife “in game” for extra xp with the pre release, and of course because it is TES.

Anything to keep the wife happy while getting my game time on is a big plus for me. Gamer couples FTW

Was kind of hoping it would have skyrim-like mechanics though…

1 Like

I was in the beta too. For me it’s an immersion breaker that you don’t feel unique anymore…everyone is experiencing the same story. The gameplay itself lacks all those perk options from Oblivion or Skyrim. FOR ME Elder Scrolls will always be single player.

Pretty much what Dash said. The fact that its going from buy it and play, to buy it, monthly subscriptions AND micro-transactions is very off putting, and instantly makes me think they are milking a otherwise great game. I won’t be buying it, and I didn’t like testing it.

Things like Neverwinter (which is free to download, and play - but has microtransactions) has the same feel almost… The reason they spend big bucks on the trailers that are simply 10/10, is for the hype, and to have the most impact they can. Every e-mail update I get from them they make sure you can easily forward it to friends, and always try to get you to “share” everything - they’ve bumped a lot of money into marketing, when the old solo games would simply sell themselves (with a few TV ads).

I am going to assume release sales will be stellar because the aggressive approach to marketing, but I don’t see this thing being anything special (sadly).

The NDA is very hefty on this subject for a reason… if you’ve got a product thats a game changer, why not let the tester also hype it? :wink:

The problem is just, that most testers go in with hopes that ESO can’t fulfill. It might be a decent MMO but the Elder Scrolls brand is not for MMOs imho. And this also is how many ES fans feel.

I just want to throw out there for those still looking for Beta access that it appears curse.com is handing out some keys. Also, they just sent out the invites for this weekend so check your emails :smile:

3 Likes

Just got sent another code in the emails if anyone wants it. BTW the NDA is lifted so you can make videos and screenies without issue.
it starts this weekend

I just got a Beta Key generously fro @Spu and . . .

GOOD GOD IS IT TAKING FOREVER TO INSTALL!

it was only for the weekend. @Spu was the one who gave me my original code too.
at 30GB i got in a few days before the beta opened. that way i didn’t have to wait.
I find its a nice casual game. it doesnt require a huge amount of investment and the game play is fun enough. I just dont think its worth £40 and then £9 p/m. Its just so excessive. if either the monthly sub or the price of the game went down i would give it a go for sure.

I feel like the Beta Key fairy O_O

@jollins Wholeheartedly agree. I don’t feel the game justifies the price, and they’re still dealing with some wacky bugs (getting stuck in conversations and exiting crafting) really late in the game.

2 Likes

with the getting stuck, you can neck a pot or eat to get out. i hated the buggy frog quest >.<

I agree with @Spu and @jollins, the price point just isn’t there for me.

I’ve enjoyed the game, and I’ve had fun playing with some freinds in the Beta, but at that price, it’s way out of reach for me. It’d have to be 30$ and 10$ a month or something like that for me to even consider it, becuase I just don’t have that kind of money

I looked at the prices and they compete with Roblox’s Builder’s Club Membership for the most overpriced Membership.

Also, what does this mean? Did it take the whole weekend to install, or did it mean it can only be used during the weekend?

nah you can install it any time but you can only play during specific weekends. they send new invitations when ever they are opening the beta. so far i have played 2 which were about a month apart.

Played my first Beta in Nov, and played about 4 in-between then and the last one when was last weekend.

Have my opinions changed? Not the core points. But the more I play it the less I hate it. In fact, I have preordered because its the best option out there right now. At least until Everquest Next comes out. :stuck_out_tongue:

i ended up pre-ordering titanfall :slight_smile:
for £24 you cant go wrong!

1 Like