Eco - Minecraft for Education xD

Eco has just reached over $140,000 dollars

2 Likes

Oh, it’s this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I believe the main issue was the lack of actual scientific justification for most of the issues. Yes it’s a game, but it’s completely unrealistic even if the main premise “humans hurt the environment!” has basis in fact. Propaganda is not inherently bad or evil, but the fact you called this a learning tool goes a long way toward proving the point. Look up the definition of propaganda, then try to back up the in-game science with facts and logic. When you inevitable can’t, that proves it is, by definition, propaganda.

Yeah, we got into a pretty lengthy debate over the science (or lack thereof) in the game and it’s potential application in educational environments. I suppose I could always page @Teleros & Co. for Eco Debate Round 2. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

i’d appreciate if you didnt, i’d rather not have to shut down a thread, about a kickstarter project, due to out of hand debating, arguing, and such.

It’s been a while since I have been an active member here, but on the other forum we were plenty capable of having a civilized discussion. We had polls and everything. :slight_smile:

Oh well.

3 Likes

well if you believe that you can keep it civilized, then go right ahead.

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Eco - off topic discussion

I ended up getting the 60$ tier… Don’t think I needed the poster xD. Either way it looks fun (underlining implied tone not with standing). I’m pretty confidant I can re-Educate as needed for my kid’s sake. Diplomacy, Law making, I can turn that part into a good intro to politics when they are ready.

2 Likes

He only needs to remove @Zilla’s post. We were fine until then…

Yeah, that is my main reason for interest in the game. Reminds me of Diplo…

1 Like

MmHmm, Diplomacy = Dad trumps all the votes (until mommy enters) and Kid’s get to listen… Right? What?! I can dream can’t I?

1 Like

Who’s all backing this? I’m about to place in a $35 back for alpha access. I hope to play with some of you when it hits in (possibly) october. :smile:

1 Like

i want to, but i cant :confused:

[quote=“Avairian, post:75, topic:10725”]
I’m about to place in a $35 back for alpha access.
[/quote]i’d do the same if i could, alpha access is fun to me :smile:

[quote=“Avairian, post:75, topic:10725”]
I hope to play with some of you when it hits in (possibly) october.
[/quote]well if i magically am able to back this, i would gladly play with you. :smile:

2 Likes

My (Let’s just call it colleagues) colleagues don’t trust things like Kickstarter, so sadly, I’ll have to wait until full release :unamused:
If I do get alpha, I’ll play with you! Zilla for President!

2 Likes

In spite of my criticism toward the game, I may actually be interested in playing it. We’ll see.

2 Likes

there you go @Wiese2007, sorry bout the derailment :grimacing:

3 Likes

thank you very much :smiley:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Eco - off topic discussion

In case you’ve missed it, they’ve updated their stretch goals. 200k would now be the criminal/PvP system. Short: There would be an option that would change the behaviour of laws. Instead of being enforced by the server (“You’ve reached the limit, you can’t chop down any more trees”), it would now be possible to break these laws. However, players may find out about it (by investigating or catching you red-handed). If they do, they can share this knowledge with others and in the end find and capture you. Depending on the severity (each law can have different severities), you either have to pay a fine, spend a certain amount in jail (RL-time), or you’re executed. That would mean there’s a police force, driven by players, that would run around and keep the server “safe”.

In other news, I’ve got access to the developer forums now and I’m really amazed! There’s all kind of people, there’s biologists, architects, electro engineers, all kind of programmers and administrators, professional software testers… It looks like a really great mix of people with various talents from around the world. The developers are quite present and interact with the community (answering questions and asking for input regarding the tools that will be used).

Also, I’ve got some news regarding those who can’t back right now: According to John in these forums, the campaign is “continued” after the Kickstarter is over, so it should be possible to upgrade pledges or buy those things later. However, it will be more expensive than right now. So if you are unsure about it, or don’t know whether it’s worth it right now, you can wait a while, but will probably have to pay more.

4 Likes

Eco has just hit over $150,000!
Land ownership is here!

4 Likes

New Kickstarter Update!

Really interesting this time: A video where they show the irrigation and pollution system at work:

Basically, water “seeps” through blocks and irrigates them that way. Blocks can accept different amounts of water, stone won’t accept any, while dirt/sand likely accept a lot. This water spreads in all three dimensions, to it’s possible to irrigate your farms with underground canals.

Pollution works the same way: Rain will cause it to spread outwards. If it hits a water source, it will contaminate the water and spread even further. In order to get minerals, you will need to process the ores - but only a small part of the ore can actually be used (there’s talk of 10-20% right now). The majority is waste that just piles up outside the building. If it isn’t moved to a containment facility (for example underground, surrounded by stone, a dry area etc.) the waste will slowly but surely taint the surrounding area.

Contaminated land will cause vegetation on it (plants, trees?) to wither and die. However, it’s not lost as nature will slowly purify and reclaim its land.

I really like the idea of having “storage facilities”. Especially with the stretch mark about owning land, it seems like one could probably make a living by offering secure storage for waste deposit. The irrigation and pollution system seems pretty nice too - instead of having waste just “spread” out, there’s a natural trigger for it (namely, rain) and it’s possible to contain it by building proper storage for it. So it’s not like a building will necessarily pollute everything around it, it’s actually the player’s responsibility to keep it clean.

5 Likes

At this rate, we’re not going to be getting the Criminal Justice System stretch goal…